Wireless Bike Computer

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
I'm needing suggestions on a wireless computer (time to replace my old one). I do not really want/have need for a heart-rate monitor, but would buy one if it is a better product then just an ordinary computer(speedometer).

I have been considering the Cateye Micro Wireless, but don't know what other products to compare it to.

Any suggestions/comparisons would be helpful.

Thanks

CicloSport makes a nice wireless computer.

bikingmat81 said:
I'm needing suggestions on a wireless computer (time to replace my old one). I do not really want/have need for a heart-rate monitor, but would buy one if it is a better product then just an ordinary computer(speedometer).

I have been considering the Cateye Micro Wireless, but don't know what other products to compare it to.

Any suggestions/comparisons would be helpful.

Thanks

I use the Mavic Wintech It's such an easy/neat installation, plus the Skewer is the Transmitter...mine has the optional Cadence too....

I've been using it for 2 years now (The model before the one shown in the Link) and it's been 100% reliable...

I can't say it's the best out there because I've never used another wireless unit...but it's one for your to consider at least...

Jaguar does the cadence work the same way? Is the magnet and reader on the REAR skewer?

Jaguar27 said:
I use the Mavic Wintech It's such an easy/neat installation, plus the Skewer is the Transmitter...mine has the optional Cadence too....

I've been using it for 2 years now (The model before the one shown in the Link) and it's been 100% reliable...

I can't say it's the best out there because I've never used another wireless unit...but it's one for your to consider at least...

carbonguru said:
Jaguar does the cadence work the same way? Is the magnet and reader on the REAR skewer?

No, remember the Cadence counts Pedal Strokes, so the reader attaches to the Seat Tube, just below and the opposite side to the Front D/A then the magnet attaches to the inside of the Crank Arm...

The Cadence is seperate and costs extra btw.

I am using a VDO C4DS. Solid construction, digital wireless (less interference), well layed out display, intuitive menu, cadence compatible, small spoke magnet. Worth checking it out.

I am using the POLAR CS200CAD at the moment. It is ok, although the sensor for the speedometer has to be kept at about half a nanometer from the spoke magnet to get a reading. The cadence works like a dream though.

I was actually happier with my base model VDO (don't remember which model) that was only a wireless speedometer unit (no cadence or HRM function).

Never a problem. Only bought the polar because I liked the idea of an all-in-one machine.

Powerful Pete said:
I am using the POLAR CS200CAD at the moment. It is ok, although the sensor for the speedometer has to be kept at about half a nanometer from the spoke magnet to get a reading.

I second that .. once every other ride or so, I get like 10 - 15 seconds where it suddenly says I'm going a 0 km/h and goes into pause mode, just like that. Also, I think it doesn't update the displayed speed often enough. You can accelerate pretty hard and it still says you're going at 26 km/h for like 5-10 seconds before it puts out your actual speed. Bothersome, if you get lots of red lights on your ride.
The HR monitor works like a charm though.

There is a software upgrade available from Polar that fixes this latency issue you are having. Also, check your sensor batteries. This is also a sign of a weak battery which equals a weak signal transmission.

Strid said:
I second that .. once every other ride or so, I get like 10 - 15 seconds where it suddenly says I'm going a 0 km/h and goes into pause mode, just like that. Also, I think it doesn't update the displayed speed often enough. You can accelerate pretty hard and it still says you're going at 26 km/h for like 5-10 seconds before it puts out your actual speed. Bothersome, if you get lots of red lights on your ride.
The HR monitor works like a charm though.

Sigma BC1606L. Get the DTS version if it *has to be* wireless. They are bombproof with a very simple, highly intuitive design.

I use wired, nothing wrong with it.

carbonguru said:
There is a software upgrade available from Polar that fixes this latency issue you are having. Also, check your sensor batteries. This is also a sign of a weak battery which equals a weak signal transmission.

I checked the polar website but couldn't find anything useful. May I politely ask for a link? :) This would be really helpful!

Thanks

yep, have the micro wireless myself & have been using ot for around a year - works sweet, has never missed a beat.

relatively cheap too

carbonguru said:
If i recall the sensors of the cs200 do not have replaceable batteries. The sensors are supposed to be good for about 3 to 5 years depending on usage. After which you have to replace the whole sensor.

The cat eye wireless (spedo) is very good. The model with the wireless cadence sensor is not so hot. There were several guys on my team who had them and ditched them. This was about a year ago though so they may have solved the problem.

I personally use a polar 725 which i have had no problems with for the 2 years that i've had it.