Wireless Bike Computers. Are they worth it?

Purphekt

Guest
I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like to do
away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a
wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the Mavic
Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the newsgroups I have read
a bit of complaints about wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for
their wireless computer or add to the complaints about their particular
wireless computer?

--
See You On The Funway
Purphekt

Purphekt wrote:
> I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
> dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like to do
> away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a
> wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the Mavic
> Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the newsgroups I have read
> a bit of complaints about wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for
> their wireless computer or add to the complaints about their particular
> wireless computer?

I went back to a wired one. The transmitters and receivers are quite
bulky and battery consumption is usually high.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:29:24 GMT, "Purphekt"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
>dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like to do
>away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a
>wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the Mavic
>Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the newsgroups I have read
>a bit of complaints about wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for
>their wireless computer or add to the complaints about their particular
>wireless computer?

I like my VDO Cytec C10+ wireless, though I haven't had it long enough
to comment on durability. It migrates between a time trial bike (head
unit fitted to the tri-bars) and a mountain bike with a USD Marzocchi
Shiver fork (transmitter fixed to the disc brake caliper), both of
which would have provided a rather ugly routing for a cable.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

> I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
> dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like to do
> away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for

> wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the

Mavic
> Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the newsgroups I have

read
> a bit of complaints about wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for
> their wireless computer or add to the complaints about their particular
> wireless computer?

I've owned several specialized wireless, that work flawlessly. Downside
is that they cost $20 more than the others.

> > I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
> > dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like to

do
> > away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork and go

for
> > wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the

> Mavic
> > Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the newsgroups I have

> read
> > a bit of complaints about wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up

for
> > their wireless computer or add to the complaints about their particular
> > wireless computer?

> I've owned several specialized wireless, that work flawlessly.

Downside
> is that they cost $20 more than the others.

Can you provide any recommendations as to model. Which was the most durable
and easy to use. I just need the basic features, but durability and low
price are important.
thanks

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone want to stand up for
>their wireless computer or add to the complaints about their particular
>wireless computer?

Garmin ForeRunner 201. No pickup or wheel setting required.

"Purphekt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
> dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like
> to do away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork
> and go for a wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye
> Cordless 7 and the Mavic Wintech for possible choices. In my
> searching in the newsgroups I have read a bit of complaints about
> wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for their wireless
> computer or add to the complaints about their particular wireless
> computer?

I have the Echo W2. Excellent value for way less than the Cateye. Not a
problem yet.

--

A: Top-posters.

> Anyone want to stand up for
> their wireless computer or add to the complaints about their particular
> wireless computer?

For riding mountainbike in bushy terrain wireless are superior, as they
don´t hava a wire that can get torn on branches.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Purphekt wrote:
> I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
> dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like
> to do away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork
> and go for a wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye
> Cordless 7 and the Mavic Wintech for possible choices. In my
> searching in the newsgroups I have read a bit of complaints about
> wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for their wireless
> computer or add to the complaints about their particular wireless
> computer?

I, too, had the same misgiving about wireless. But, last year I puchased a
Specialized wireless (Pro) for my road bike, and I couldn't be happier with
it. It's worked flawlessly for me since day one. The best part, for me,
however, is the built-in inclinometer. I love knowing the % grade of every
climb, plus the total altitude climbed. But, the rest of the computer just
plain works and works well. I'm not normally a fan of Specialized gear, but
the hit the mark with this particular device.

I'm still waiting for an affordable computer with wireless cadence, though.

I would have absolutely no qualms buying another wireless computer. I
highly doubt I'll ever go back to wired again.

Regards,
H.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> I went back to a wired one. The transmitters and receivers are quite
> bulky and battery consumption is usually high.

Hmmm. I'm using an old Specialized wireless cyclometer, and it's hardly
bulky and the batteries have lasted for MANY years. (It used to be on my
mtn. bike, but then I retired it and only dusted it off last summer after
buying a road bike.)

Bill "trouble-free so far" S.

S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>> I went back to a wired one. The transmitters and receivers are quite
>> bulky and battery consumption is usually high.

> Hmmm. I'm using an old Specialized wireless cyclometer, and it's hardly
> bulky and the batteries have lasted for MANY years. (It used to be on my
> mtn. bike, but then I retired it and only dusted it off last summer after
> buying a road bike.)

when i used the shimano flightdeck i'd go through a few batteries a season
on the sensor. still preferred it to any wired sensor, tho.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

I bought a nashbar wireless about ten years ago. It was the cheapest
model, about $25.00. reasonably small. It has worked perfectly ever
since. Before that I would use wired computers but they would
eventually have a short. The computer is perfectly accurate. I would
venture to guess that most of the new generation woreless will work
perfectly well. You can also go Timex GPS and you can run, bike, drive
or do anything else. More expensive though. About $200.

Andres

David Reuteler wrote:
> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>>
>>> I went back to a wired one. The transmitters and receivers are
>>> quite bulky and battery consumption is usually high.

>> Hmmm. I'm using an old Specialized wireless cyclometer, and it's
>> hardly bulky and the batteries have lasted for MANY years. (It used
>> to be on my mtn. bike, but then I retired it and only dusted it off
>> last summer after buying a road bike.)

> when i used the shimano flightdeck i'd go through a few batteries a
> season on the sensor. still preferred it to any wired sensor, tho.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the Flightdeck is a much more
sophisticated bit of kit than a plain old cyclometer. Bigger demand on
batteries?

Bill "bare bones" S.

>I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the Mavic
>Wintech for possible choices.

I have a Cateye Astrale with the cadence sensor on the chainstay left side.
I'm on my 4th year and it works well. The battery needs to be changed when the
sensors don't pick up a signal. I thought it was the sensor not being close
enough to the magnet but when I changed the battery, the pickup problem went
away. I slid the main unit off and took it to Walmart watch dept and they sold
me the battery but wouldn't do the install because its not their product.

I wanted to buy the new Cateye Cordless 7 just like you. But when I found
out it doesn't have a cadence, then I stopped.

S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the Flightdeck is a much more
> sophisticated bit of kit than a plain old cyclometer. Bigger demand on
> batteries?

ok, you're wrong

fun! i could get used to this ..

the only thing in addition the flightdeck does is to relay the current gear.
other than that it's pretty much a normal computer. it fakes the cadence
so i'd imagine it's about the same or less than a computer that does real
cadence as per battery draw. i'd worry more about backlight (which it does
not have).

you're also wrong because i was talking about the speed sensor on the fork.
the head unit's battery i don't believe i ever replaced.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the Flightdeck is a much more
> > sophisticated bit of kit than a plain old cyclometer. Bigger demand on
> > batteries?

> ok, you're wrong
>
> fun! i could get used to this ..
>
> the only thing in addition the flightdeck does is to relay the current

gear.
> other than that it's pretty much a normal computer. it fakes the cadence
> so i'd imagine it's about the same or less than a computer that does real
> cadence as per battery draw. i'd worry more about backlight (which it

does
> not have).
>
> you're also wrong because i was talking about the speed sensor on the

fork.
> the head unit's battery i don't believe i ever replaced.
> --
> david reuteler
> [email protected]

I've used wireless computers from Cateye, Ciclosport and Vetta. The highly
revered (atleast by those who sell it) Cateyes are the only ones (two
different models over the years) to fail. Both of the Cateyes had
mechanical problems with buttons not working. I'm sure there are scores of
people who have had positive experiences with Cateyes, but I haven't. They
are also somewhat underfeatured for what they cost.

I usually start the season with new batteries all around. Costs about $3 -
$5 but saves you headaches wondering why your computer isn't working right.
Never had a set of batteries last less than a year.

On 27 Jun 2004 20:49:57 GMT, [email protected] (Jee Doy) wrote:

> I wanted to buy the new Cateye Cordless 7 just like you. But when I found
>out it doesn't have a cadence, then I stopped.

I have a Cateye Cordless 7. It works well, it's my first bike in years, and it's good to
see how fast and far I go. No problems with it in the first couple of months, don't expect
any.

Cadence and heart monitor would be good, and maybe later will upgrade to something else.

Cateye Cordless 7, easy to put on. A few plastic straps, and a spoke magnet. Test where
you put the sensor on the front fork, has to come close to the magnet, and the straps
don't come off once you put them on. Has some adhesive tape on the sensor in addition to
the straps, keeps it in place.

http://www.cateye.com/products/cycle_computers/CC_FR7CL.html

Got mine from REI, during a good sale. Think it was $39.95.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon
[email protected]

Purphekt <[email protected]> wrote:
>I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
>dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like to do
>away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a
>wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the Mavic
>Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the newsgroups I have read
>a bit of complaints about wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for
>their wireless computer or add to the complaints about their particular
>wireless computer?

My Polar S720i seems to be sensitive to interference. There is an
ice cream shop I sometimes stop at on the way home where the HRM will
reliably show a heart rate in the 200's and a speed between 10 and 20 mph
with the bike leaning against a tree. I've also caught the Shimano
Flightdeck on my other bike displaying a phantom speed of 6 or 8 mph
when leaning against the same tree, but this seems to happen only
very rarely.

Dennis Ferguson

Mount the Cat Eye on the left fork and swing it well forward (magnet
nearish to hub?) Mine (road and mtb) are both efficient there but not on
the right.

"Dennis Ferguson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Purphekt <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid about $18
> >dollars for it, but I have been thinking of upgrading. I would like

to do
> >away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon fork and go

for a
> >wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the

Mavic

Yep. That's where I have it mounted. I have even tried to cosmetically
follow the trailing edge of the fork blade with the wire as the wire routes
upwards. I then route it over the front brake cable housing until the wire
nears the handle bar where it routes over to the computer mount. The
computer works fine. I just would like to have the bike not look like it has
an IV line running down to the hub. Perhaps someday a manufacturer with
integrate a sensor into a fork with a wireless computer that mounts to the
edge of the riders helmet. Then with a couple buttons on the handle bar you
could scroll thru the different information pages. That way you would not
have to look down to see the digits. Sort of a simple Heads Up Display. But
that is just a fantasy of mine. I daydream about this kind of stuff on long
rides. The endorphins, the wind and that rider way up the road I'm trying to
catch up with are still encouragements to push harder.
--
See You On The Funway
Purphekt

news:[email protected]...