Wireless Bike Computers. Are they worth it?

Purphekt

Guest
I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid
about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking of
upgrading. I would like to do away with the ugly wire I have
routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a wireless setup.
I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the Mavic
Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the
newsgroups I have read a bit of complaints about wireless
computers. Anyone want to stand up for their wireless
computer or add to the complaints about their particular
wireless computer?

--
See You On The Funway Purphekt

Zog The Undenia

Guest
Purphekt wrote:
> I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only
> paid about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking of
> upgrading. I would like to do away with the ugly wire I
> have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a wireless
> setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and
> the Mavic Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in
> the newsgroups I have read a bit of complaints about
> wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for their
> wireless computer or add to the complaints about their
> particular wireless computer?

I went back to a wired one. The transmitters and receivers
are quite bulky and battery consumption is usually high.

Kinky Cowboy

Guest
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:29:24 GMT, "Purphekt"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid
>about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking of
>upgrading. I would like to do away with the ugly wire I
>have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a wireless
>setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and
>the Mavic Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in
>the newsgroups I have read a bit of complaints about
>wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for their
>wireless computer or add to the complaints about their
>particular wireless computer?

I like my VDO Cytec C10+ wireless, though I haven't had it
long enough to comment on durability. It migrates between a
time trial bike (head unit fitted to the tri-bars) and a
mountain bike with a USD Marzocchi Shiver fork (transmitter
fixed to the disc brake caliper), both of which would have
provided a rather ugly routing for a cable.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
milage may vary

Callistus Valer

Guest
> I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only
> paid about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking of
> upgrading. I would like to do away with the ugly wire I
> have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for
> wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye
> Cordless 7 and the
Mavic
> Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the
> newsgroups I have
read
> a bit of complaints about wireless computers. Anyone want
> to stand up for their wireless computer or add to the
> complaints about their particular wireless computer?

I've owned several specialized wireless, that work
flawlessly. Downside is that they cost $20 more than
the others.

Sarotherodon

Guest
> > I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only
> > paid about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking
> > of upgrading. I would like to
do
> > away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo
> > carbon fork and go
for
> > wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye
> > Cordless 7 and the
> Mavic
> > Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in the
> > newsgroups I have
> read
> > a bit of complaints about wireless computers. Anyone
> > want to stand up
for
> > their wireless computer or add to the complaints about
> > their particular wireless computer?
>

> I've owned several specialized wireless, that work
> flawlessly.
Downside
> is that they cost $20 more than the others.

Can you provide any recommendations as to model. Which was
the most durable and easy to use. I just need the basic
features, but durability and low price are important. thanks

Paul Kopit

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone want to stand up for their wireless computer or add
>to the complaints about their particular wireless computer?

Garmin ForeRunner 201. No pickup or wheel setting required.

Drs

Guest
"Purphekt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51
> I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only
> paid about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking of
> upgrading. I would like to do away with the ugly wire I
> have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a wireless
> setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and
> the Mavic Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in
> the newsgroups I have read a bit of complaints about
> wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for their
> wireless computer or add to the complaints about their
> particular wireless computer?

I have the Echo W2. Excellent value for way less than the
Cateye. Not a problem yet.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Per LöWdin

Guest
> Anyone want to stand up for their wireless computer or add
> to the complaints about their particular wireless
> computer?

For riding mountainbike in bushy terrain wireless are
superior, as they don´t hava a wire that can get torn
on branches.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Hardwarelust

Guest
Purphekt wrote:
> I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only
> paid about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking of
> upgrading. I would like to do away with the ugly wire I
> have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a wireless
> setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and
> the Mavic Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in
> the newsgroups I have read a bit of complaints about
> wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for their
> wireless computer or add to the complaints about their
> particular wireless computer?

I, too, had the same misgiving about wireless. But, last
year I puchased a Specialized wireless (Pro) for my road
bike, and I couldn't be happier with
it. It's worked flawlessly for me since day one. The best
part, for me, however, is the built-in inclinometer. I
love knowing the % grade of every climb, plus the total
altitude climbed. But, the rest of the computer just
plain works and works well. I'm not normally a fan of
Specialized gear, but the hit the mark with this
particular device.

I'm still waiting for an affordable computer with wireless
cadence, though.

I would have absolutely no qualms buying another wireless
computer. I highly doubt I'll ever go back to wired again.

Regards,
j.

S O R N I

Guest
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> I went back to a wired one. The transmitters and receivers
> are quite bulky and battery consumption is usually high.

Hmmm. I'm using an old Specialized wireless cyclometer,
and it's hardly bulky and the batteries have lasted for
MANY years. (It used to be on my mtn. bike, but then I
retired it and only dusted it off last summer after buying
a road bike.)

Bill "trouble-free so far" S.

David Reuteler

Guest
S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>> I went back to a wired one. The transmitters and
>> receivers are quite bulky and battery consumption is
>> usually high.
>
> Hmmm. I'm using an old Specialized wireless cyclometer,
> and it's hardly bulky and the batteries have lasted for
> MANY years. (It used to be on my mtn. bike, but then I
> retired it and only dusted it off last summer after buying
> a road bike.)

when i used the shimano flightdeck i'd go through a few
batteries a season on the sensor. still preferred it to any
wired sensor, tho.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Andres Muro

Guest
I bought a nashbar wireless about ten years ago. It was the
cheapest model, about $25.00. reasonably small. It has
worked perfectly ever since. Before that I would use wired
computers but they would eventually have a short. The
computer is perfectly accurate. I would venture to guess
that most of the new generation woreless will work perfectly
well. You can also go Timex GPS and you can run, bike, drive
or do anything else. More expensive though. About $200.

Andres

David Reuteler wrote:
> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>>
>>> I went back to a wired one. The transmitters and
>>> receivers are quite bulky and battery consumption is
>>> usually high.
>>
>> Hmmm. I'm using an old Specialized wireless cyclometer,
>> and it's hardly bulky and the batteries have lasted for
>> MANY years. (It used to be on my mtn. bike, but then I
>> retired it and only dusted it off last summer after
>> buying a road bike.)
>
> when i used the shimano flightdeck i'd go through a few
> batteries a season on the sensor. still preferred it to
> any wired sensor, tho.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the Flightdeck is a
much more sophisticated bit of kit than a plain old
cyclometer. Bigger demand on batteries?

Bill "bare bones" S.

Jee Doy

Guest
>I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and the Mavic
>Wintech for possible choices.

I have a Cateye Astrale with the cadence sensor on the
chainstay left side. I'm on my 4th year and it works well.
The battery needs to be changed when the sensors don't pick
up a signal. I thought it was the sensor not being close
enough to the magnet but when I changed the battery, the
pickup problem went away. I slid the main unit off and took
it to Walmart watch dept and they sold me the battery but
wouldn't do the install because its not their product.

I wanted to buy the new Cateye Cordless 7 just like
you. But when I found out it doesn't have a cadence,
then I stopped.

David Reuteler

Guest
S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the Flightdeck is a
> much more sophisticated bit of kit than a plain old
> cyclometer. Bigger demand on batteries?

ok, you're wrong

fun! i could get used to this ..

the only thing in addition the flightdeck does is to relay
the current gear. other than that it's pretty much a normal
computer. it fakes the cadence so i'd imagine it's about the
same or less than a computer that does real cadence as per
battery draw. i'd worry more about backlight (which it does
not have).

you're also wrong because i was talking about the speed
sensor on the fork. the head unit's battery i don't believe
i ever replaced.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Rosco

Guest
"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the Flightdeck is
> > a much more sophisticated bit of kit than a plain old
> > cyclometer. Bigger demand on batteries?
>
> ok, you're wrong
>
> fun! i could get used to this ..
>
> the only thing in addition the flightdeck does is to relay
> the current
gear.
> other than that it's pretty much a normal computer. it
> fakes the cadence so i'd imagine it's about the same or
> less than a computer that does real cadence as per battery
> draw. i'd worry more about backlight (which it
does
> not have).
>
> you're also wrong because i was talking about the speed
> sensor on the
fork.
> the head unit's battery i don't believe i ever replaced.
> --
> david reuteler [email protected]

I've used wireless computers from Cateye, Ciclosport and
Vetta. The highly revered (atleast by those who sell it)
Cateyes are the only ones (two different models over the
years) to fail. Both of the Cateyes had mechanical problems
with buttons not working. I'm sure there are scores of
people who have had positive experiences with Cateyes, but
I haven't. They are also somewhat underfeatured for what
they cost.

I usually start the season with new batteries all around.
Costs about $3 - $5 but saves you headaches wondering why
your computer isn't working right. Never had a set of
batteries last less than a year.

Bob Anderson

Guest
On 27 Jun 2004 20:49:57 GMT, [email protected] (Jee Doy) wrote:

> I wanted to buy the new Cateye Cordless 7 just like you.
> But when I found out it doesn't have a cadence, then I
> stopped.

I have a Cateye Cordless 7. It works well, it's my first
bike in years, and it's good to see how fast and far I go.
No problems with it in the first couple of months, don't
expect any.

Cadence and heart monitor would be good, and maybe later
will upgrade to something else.

Cateye Cordless 7, easy to put on. A few plastic straps, and
a spoke magnet. Test where you put the sensor on the front
fork, has to come close to the magnet, and the straps don't
come off once you put them on. Has some adhesive tape on the
sensor in addition to the straps, keeps it in place.

http://www.cateye.com/products/cycle_computers/CC_FR7CL.html

Got mine from REI, during a good sale. Think it was $39.95.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson Eugene Oregon
[email protected]

Dennis Ferguson

Guest
Purphekt <[email protected]> wrote:
>I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only paid
>about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking of
>upgrading. I would like to do away with the ugly wire I
>have routed down my areo carbon fork and go for a wireless
>setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye Cordless 7 and
>the Mavic Wintech for possible choices. In my searching in
>the newsgroups I have read a bit of complaints about
>wireless computers. Anyone want to stand up for their
>wireless computer or add to the complaints about their
>particular wireless computer?

My Polar S720i seems to be sensitive to interference. There
is an ice cream shop I sometimes stop at on the way home
where the HRM will reliably show a heart rate in the 200's
and a speed between 10 and 20 mph with the bike leaning
against a tree. I've also caught the Shimano Flightdeck on
my other bike displaying a phantom speed of 6 or 8 mph when
leaning against the same tree, but this seems to happen only
very rarely.

Dennis Ferguson

Pat

Guest
Mount the Cat Eye on the left fork and swing it well forward
(magnet nearish to hub?) Mine (road and mtb) are both
efficient there but not on the right.

"Dennis Ferguson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Purphekt <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I currently have a wired Cat Eye bike computer. I only
> >paid about $18 dollars for it, but I have been thinking
> >of upgrading. I would like
to do
> >away with the ugly wire I have routed down my areo carbon
> >fork and go
for a
> >wireless setup. I have been looking at the Cat Eye
> >Cordless 7 and the
Mavic

Purphekt

Guest
Yep. That's where I have it mounted. I have even tried to
cosmetically follow the trailing edge of the fork blade
with the wire as the wire routes upwards. I then route it
over the front brake cable housing until the wire nears the
handle bar where it routes over to the computer mount. The
computer works fine. I just would like to have the bike not
look like it has an IV line running down to the hub.
Perhaps someday a manufacturer with integrate a sensor into
a fork with a wireless computer that mounts to the edge of
the riders helmet. Then with a couple buttons on the handle
bar you could scroll thru the different information pages.
That way you would not have to look down to see the digits.
Sort of a simple Heads Up Display. But that is just a
fantasy of mine. I daydream about this kind of stuff on
long rides. The endorphins, the wind and that rider way up
the road I'm trying to catch up with are still
encouragements to push harder.
--
See You On The Funway Purphekt

news:[email protected]...