Wireless computer?

mike7382

Jul 27, 2004
I was wondering if anyone knows if wireless computers are better than the ones with wires? Someone told me that they dont give accurate readouts all the time. Also that they can get messed up when passing by electric lines. Is it the price of the computer? Maybe the cheaper wireless ones mess up and the more expensive ones dont. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I was just wondering because i am going to get a wireless unless any of u might say different.

I have never had an issue with wireless. It makes for an easy and clean install and I have had no interference problems, I have had some in the store that I work in affected by the door dinger and security thingy, but I couldn't tell you off hand which ones. The one I use is the Mavic with the sensor in the skewer, I know the computer is calibrated to the sensor so it would be un affected by your buddy's Mavic riding beside you. This may have something to do with the lack of interference I experience, or maybe not. I'm not an RF engineer, just a bike mechanic telling you my experiences.

I haven't heard of problems with accuracy of wireless. My wife has a wireless flightdeck with has been a problematic... problems installing (the harness was defective and needed to be replace) and she has problems getting consistent response in pushing the hood buttons. I wouldn't purchase a flightdeck again, but also wouldn't shy away from wireless. That said, I like wired systems b/c of their simplicity, not having to worry about changing batteries or the potential problems you mention...I just don't see any downside to wired systems.

I have a wired Topeak Panoram on my mt. bike and wireless Topeak on my road bike.

I have not had a problem with the wireless once I got it setup to receive the signal. I have never notice any kind of interference either and it does look much nicer than the wired version on my mt. bike.

I currently ride with a wireless cytec VDO V10+. No problems to report in about a year and a half of riding.

Maybe twice due to some funky interference my current speed shot up to 98kph, but both both times I was riding by a military airport with the flyboys zooming by. Not exactly a common issue for most people.

Easy install, extremely satisfied, excellent reliability, only just changed the battery. Go for it.

Wirless Topeak Panoram on my MTB. Occasioannly there is a slight dealy when your speed jumps quickly (such as a steep downhill) but it catches up pretty fast.

I am running a turbo pro Specialized wireless - with a wired cadence monitor. There is an interference issue with my LED light when it is on. The speed is not showing consistent with huge variations. The interference is only with the light on in the evenings when I want to be seen. Trip distance etc. don't seem to be affected. Overall a good unit at around $ 100. The gradient and elevation gain functions are pretty cool as well. Good luck.

Greg
Vancouver
Canada

I use a VDO C15+. On the whole it is fine. I do get problems with interference occasionaly - sometimes I find myself travelling at 99.9mph :eek: :) .

But it's not so bad to make me want to change and if I do replace it, it will be with another wireless.

I've got a Cateye Double Wireless. Granted, I have only been out with it a few times, but no intereference problems as of yet. It has a digital signal, which is supposed to cut down on the intereference.

Its a bit pricey, but worth every penny. I used to have an CE Astrale 8 wired, but I didnt like the limits of the functions. On my new computer, I have three seperate screens to view the info on, and they pack a LOT of info onto those screens, but its easily digestable.