Wireless computers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by southernfriedch, Apr 27, 2004.

1. southernfriedch

southernfriedch New Member

There is currently a discussion on another forum about the reliability of cordless computers and I was wondering if any of you guys on this forum are having the same problems. I have a VDO C05 cordless and the other day while stationary the speed was reading 60mph with the speedo on and of the speedo head, it only sorted itself out after I had cycled approx. 20 metres. I would appriciate any feedback.
    Cheers

Tags:

2. Babbar

Babbar New Member

Having been both an electronics technican and a computer analyst in my years in the U.S. Navy and government service, I can state unequivocally that electronics is weird! Never trust someone who says that a computer or piece of electronics equipment "can't do that," becuase they can and will.

A wireless anything depends on transmitting signals over the air. As technology has grown by leaps and bounds, there are many things out there, garage door openers, remote control gas fireplaces, ad infinitum, that are transmitting a wide variety of signals. There is also a limited amount of frequency spectrum in which to pack all of these.

If you are going past somewhere that emits a signal of the correct frequency and modulation, your cyclocomputer will act up. When my wireless Shimano Flight Deck started acting up, the first thing the LBS asked was did I ride the same circuit every day. I have had it go completely bonkers when a car passed me with a HAM radio antenna on it, obviously transmitting.

On rare occasions, your computer may get hit with a signal that will lock out its own sending unit for a while. When you get away from that signal and your sending unit's signal becomes stronger by comparison, things will rectify themselves.

That being said, the only difference between my old wired Trek Fusion and the Flight Deck is the speedometer. With wire, the recognition of speed change is almost instantaneous. With wireless, it takes a fraction of a second longer. And when you are accelerating, it is most noticeable.

But, I like the cleaner look of the wireless and can, for now, live with its weird ways.

Regards from Maryland, Babbar

3. zerokoo0l

zerokoo0l New Member

Thanks for a very informative and easily understood response to the question Babbar, great information!