wireless computers

chrispopovic

Feb 28, 2004
I'm trying to find out where to buy the wireless voice-activated radio gear that the pro cyclists wear. Does anybody know who makes them or where I can buy them? I've checked the Motorola site and the only thing they appear to have is earbuds for standard radios. I'm sure there's something cooler out there than that. My weekend buddies are trying to find radios that we can talk amongst each other with.

Originally posted by chrispopovic
I'm trying to find out where to buy the wireless voice-activated radio gear that the pro cyclists wear. Does anybody know who makes them or where I can buy them? I've checked the Motorola site and the only thing they appear to have is earbuds for standard radios. I'm sure there's something cooler out there than that. My weekend buddies are trying to find radios that we can talk amongst each other with.

pedal faster and you wont get ditched, then you can just communicate the old fashioned way, and itll be lighter faster and cheaper too

First of all I dont think they are voice-activated. If they were then they'll be open all the time picking up all sorts of sound from the surroundings.

2ndly, each team member as well as their director sportif communicate with each other because of the main transmitter which is in the team car (although each rider has essentially his own mini powered transmitter, if you will). For you to get a similar setup you either have a car following you or you and your riding buddies nominate the poor bloke to carry the main transmitter and battery.

A bluetooth mobile phone and a bluetooth earpiece will probably work although each time you have to dial each others phone no. to communicate. 8-P

Originally posted by dennis dee
First of all I dont think they are voice-activated. If they were then they'll be open all the time picking up all sorts of sound from the surroundings.

2ndly, each team member as well as their director sportif communicate with each other because of the main transmitter which is in the team car (although each rider has essentially his own mini powered transmitter, if you will). For you to get a similar setup you either have a car following you or you and your riding buddies nominate the poor bloke to carry the main transmitter and battery.

A bluetooth mobile phone and a bluetooth earpiece will probably work although each time you have to dial each others phone no. to communicate. 8-P

Right, without having a car following you, the only thing within reason that you could use is the following:

- high end Bluetooth cellphone, with voice calling - $500+
- Jabra BT250 wireless headset - $150-$200

Even with with this set up there are plenty of concerns, like whether wind noise is an issue (the Jabra might have noise cancellation, but who knows if it is any good), how well the voice commands work with background noise, etc.

Actually voice commands may not be necessary if you want to maintain a multi-way conference call for the entire ride (can you say "unlimited minutes"?) Also, there is a Jabra for non-Bluetooth phones (BT200) that might work here.

If you have about a $1,000 each to put into this project, it could probably work, and over time prices will come down. I know it sounds like a lot of $$$ (actually, it IS a lot of $$$), but there are people who spend that much every year for cell phone technology in their cars. I kid you not - I know one of them.