Wireless cycling computers

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:41:28 GMT, Vødkäjéllÿ wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please could someone recommend one, or give me a link to a forum where
> things are discussed. I'm not having much luck on google for reviews for
> them. Lots of adverts, but not many reviews.
>
> Are they as good as wired ones? This is for a bike that will be doing off
> road mountain biking type work.

Theres some here:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/computer/

I've found that the cateye are rubbish, shame as the first cateye cordless
was quite good. The aldi one I got has been going for years, and works
well in cold temp's unlike many others.

Steve

Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:41:28 GMT, Vødkäjéllÿ wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please could someone recommend one, or give me a link to a forum
>> where things are discussed. I'm not having much luck on google for
>> reviews for them. Lots of adverts, but not many reviews.
>>
>> Are they as good as wired ones? This is for a bike that will be
>> doing off road mountain biking type work.

> Theres some here:
>
> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/computer/
>
> I've found that the cateye are rubbish, shame as the first cateye
> cordless was quite good. The aldi one I got has been going for
> years, and works well in cold temp's unlike many others.
>
> Steve

Cheers I'll pass it on :)

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 20:13:45 +0000, Tim Hall wrote:
> And the clock's wrong already, 10 minutes out over a month.

I got one of these too, and found that my clock drifted by about the same
amount. Apart from that I'm quite happy with the thing.

--
Alex Pounds (Creature) .~. http://www.alexpounds.com/
/V\ http://www.ethicsgirls.com/

Tim Hall wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:59:59 +0000, Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>soup wrote:

>>> Addendum:- cheapest "computer" I can find from Argos is £6.99
>>>
>>> http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3333169.htm

>>From the item:
>>
>>> Features include, speed, time, distance, RPM, K.cal and scan.

>>RPM? Does this cheapie computer measure cadence? If so that's a pretty
>>good deal.

> Anyway, as I was saying, if it's the same, RPM in this case is wheel
> revs rather than cadence.

Strange - is there any reason knowing wheel RPM might be useful?

Vødkäjéllÿ <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please could someone recommend one, or give me a link to a forum where
> things are discussed. I'm not having much luck on google for reviews for
> them. Lots of adverts, but not many reviews.
>
> Are they as good as wired ones? This is for a bike that will be doing off
> road mountain biking type work.
>
> Thanks

my experinace from a few years ago, was that if wireless the reporter
could shake loose and dispear into the moors, if wired could get tangled
and look messy.

but on the whole seemed good i don't bother so no adivce as such is as
to which ones.

roger

Jim Higson wrote:

>Strange - is there any reason knowing wheel RPM might be useful?

You're looking at it from the wrong end. The system can calculate wheel
RPM with very little extra effort (it's just a matter of scaling the
revs-per-time that it already needs to calculate speed), so adding it to
the display gives an Extra! Function! to make the thing look good.

(Not as bad as the "20 function" digital watch that turned out to count
"hours" and "minutes" as separate functions, mind...)

Roger Merriman wrote:
> Vødkäjéllÿ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please could someone recommend one, or give me a link to a forum
>> where things are discussed. I'm not having much luck on google for
>> reviews for them. Lots of adverts, but not many reviews.
>>
>> Are they as good as wired ones? This is for a bike that will be
>> doing off road mountain biking type work.
>>
>> Thanks

> my experinace from a few years ago, was that if wireless the reporter
> could shake loose and dispear into the moors, if wired could get
> tangled and look messy.
>
> but on the whole seemed good i don't bother so no adivce as such is as
> to which ones.
>
> roger

Cheers Roger