Wireless Cyclocomputers - Opinions

Mike

Guest
Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any drawbacks
to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?

Thanks

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?

I've seen reports of interference from other riders next to
you who might have the same (or similar) models of
computers, but haven't experienced that myself.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

x-no-archive-yes
In article <[email protected]>, "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any drawbacks
>to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
>
>Thanks

I have a Cateye Cordless II and have used it since 95 with
no problems. You do need two batteries; one for the sensor
and one for the receiver. Not a big deal to change and they
last quite awhile.

Mike

Do not reply to the e-mail address above - too much SPAM!
Post replies to the group!

David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
>> drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
>
> I've seen reports of interference from other riders next
> to you who might have the same (or similar) models of
> computers, but haven't experienced that myself.

I must stay at least 15.8" away from any other bike equipped
with an Echo
W2. It's tough but worth it.

--

X: Top-posters.
Y: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
>
> Thanks

The only drawback I've seen is that most wireless units
do not "auto-start". You have to remember to push a
button to start the computer functions when you start
riding, or after you've stopped for more than 5 minutes
or so. They're designed this way to conserve battery life
on the transmitter battery. Because of this, I'll
sometimes miss a few 10ths of a mile before I realize the
computer is not running.

Despite this issue, I really like wireless units. They're
easier to mount, and you don't have those wires running all
over your bike.

--
~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats -
Software for Cyclists

I use a Cateye Cordless 2 on my Giant hybid and find that in
colder weather the signal is not strong enough to be picked
up by the computer. Over 55 degrees, no problem. I've
changed the batteries out, but that did not help. With the
shocks and such, I can only get the computer within 20" of
the sender, so if you have a regular road bike, that might
not be a problem. Other than that, its fine.

John P. "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
>
> Thanks

My Cateye II tends to be temperature sensative. Under 50
degrees, the computer tends not to pick up the signal. I run
a hybrid with shocks, so I tend to have around 20" between
the two which does not help. I'd save the $$ and pick up a
corded unit if I had to do it over again.

news:[email protected]...
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> >drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> I have a Cateye Cordless II and have used it since 95 with
> no problems.
You
> do need two batteries; one for the sensor and one for the
> receiver. Not a
big
> deal to change and they last quite awhile.
>
> Mike
>
> Do not reply to the e-mail address above - too much SPAM!
> Post replies to
the group!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I use a Cateye Cordless 2 on my Giant hybid and find
> that in colder weather the signal is not strong enough
> to be picked up by the computer. Over 55 degrees, no
> problem. I've changed the batteries out, but that did
> not help. With the shocks and such, I can only get the
> computer within 20" of the sender, so if you have a
> regular road bike, that might not be a problem. Other
> than that, its fine.

I've used my Specialized SpeedZone Pro at sub-zero (F)
temperatures, and it still worked fine, though the LCD
display was rather slow on the changes. Terrific computer,
though it's probably more money than I would have spend on
myself (it was a gift). It has a wireless wheel sensor, and
a wired cadence sensor, so there's still one wire running
down your downtube. They make a model without cadence, which
is completely wireless.

I've had it about a year and a half, and haven't had to
replace a battery yet.

--

Mike wrote:

> Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?

I have a wireless Flight Deck. No problems yet.

Though it might be counterintuitive, wireless is probably
less complicated, and potentially more reliable.

Matt O.

GaryG <garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote in
message [email protected]
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
>> drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
>
> The only drawback I've seen is that most wireless units do
> not "auto-start".

FWIW, my Echo W2 autostarts. And's it's way cheaper than
the Cateye.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Wow, thanks for all the info. Looks like I'll go cordless.
Just have to decide on a brand now. Thanks again.

Mike

> Mike wrote:
>
> > Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> > drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
>
> I have a wireless Flight Deck. No problems yet.
>
> Though it might be counterintuitive, wireless is
> probably less
complicated, and
> potentially more reliable.
>
> Matt O.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1087k3l8foun377
@corp.supernews.com:
> Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?

Reasons not to get wireless:
1. 2 batteries to wear out
2. interference from power lines and burglar alarms
and friends
3. big ugly wireless transmitter on your fork
4. weighs more than wired
5. costs more than wired
6. sometimes less functionality than wired (no auto-
on feature)

I don't see any benefit to wireless except on mountain bikes
where the shock might interfere with the wire, but then you
have to worry about your transmitter range.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:1087k3l8foun377 @corp.supernews.com:
> > Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> > drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
>
> Reasons not to get wireless:
> 1. 2 batteries to wear out

3,000 miles on my Vetta V100A. No need to replace either
battery yet.

> 2. interference from power lines and burglar alarms and
> friends

Never had this problem, even when riding with 1500 others
for a week in Colorado, or with 3000 others in some of the
larger century rides.

> 3. big ugly wireless transmitter on your fork

The Vetta's trasmitter is the same black color as my fork,
is aero-shaped, and only 2" tall. Compared to wires running
down the fork and back to the chainstays (for cadence), I
think the aesthetics favor wireless.

> 4. weighs more than wired

LOL...yeah, I really notice the extra 20 g.

> 5. costs more than wired

Granted.

> 6. sometimes less functionality than wired (no auto-on
> feature)

My V100A includes an altimeter feature that I particularly
like. The lack of auto-on doesn't bother me...I set the
altimeter before starting my ride, and rarely stop for more
than 5 minutes so it doesn't shut off.

> I don't see any benefit to wireless except on mountain
> bikes where the
shock
> might interfere with the wire, but then you have to worry
> about your transmitter range.

GaryG <garyg@shasta_spambegone_software.com> wrote:
>> Reasons not to get wireless:
>> 1. 2 batteries to wear out
>
> 3,000 miles on my Vetta V100A. No need to replace either
> battery yet.

the batteries in the shimano flight deck sensor wear out
rather frequently which i define as several months of
moderate usage. when i was touring i replaced the battery 4
times in 4 months. two or three times a season was more like
it for normal, tho. not a big deal, but ..

otoh, now i use the campag ergobrain. haven't changed a
battery yet. off- topic, i found the flight deck menus more
intuitive -- i've never been a fan of the cat-eye style
computers.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On 19 Apr 2004 22:45:11 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

>GaryG <garyg@shasta_spambegone_software.com> wrote:
>>> Reasons not to get wireless:
>>> 1. 2 batteries to wear out
>>
>> 3,000 miles on my Vetta V100A. No need to replace either
>> battery yet.
>
>the batteries in the shimano flight deck sensor wear out
>rather frequently which i define as several months of
>moderate usage. when i was touring i replaced the battery 4
>times in 4 months. two or three times a season was more
>like it for normal, tho. not a big deal, but ..
>
>otoh, now i use the campag ergobrain. haven't changed a
>battery yet. off- topic, i found the flight deck menus more
>intuitive -- i've never been a fan of the cat-eye style
>computers.

The ergobrain looks nice and seems to have some unique
features like stopwatch which can be run independently.

Do any of these allow downloading into the PC or is that a
huge price jump?

-B

Drawbacks: no cadence on most, if not all models.

Advantages: no wires.

Conclusion (mine, at least): Wired with cadence for road
bike, where cadence is an advantage. Wireless so nothing to
snag for ATB. Off road I don't worry about cadence.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Drawbacks: no cadence on most, if not all models.
>
> Advantages: no wires.
>
> Conclusion (mine, at least): Wired with cadence for road
> bike, where cadence is an advantage. Wireless so nothing
> to snag for ATB. Off road I don't worry about cadence.
>
> - -
>
> "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
> for the hills!"
>
> Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

My wireless Avocet has a cadence option. I haven't got it
yet, but probably will one of these days.

GG

Mike wrote:
> Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any
> drawbacks to it being wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
>
> Thanks

I used to use the Sigma wireless unit, but because I often
got wacky readings from riding by power lines I had to sell
it. I've since gone back to using wired. Way more
dependable.

Kenny Lee

I had a cateye wireless and did not like it. It received
interference from electrical sources (traffic lights, power
lines, etc) that caused it to go haywire.