Wireless Cyclometers question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mary, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. mary

    mary Guest

    I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there are wireless ones. I
    can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
    disadvantages to using the wireless ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I
    am afraid I will break it within a month of buying it.

    Thanks

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    net.com says...
    > I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there are wireless ones. I
    > can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
    > disadvantages to using the wireless ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I
    > am afraid I will break it within a month of buying it.

    There was just a long thread about this in rec.bicycles.misc. Look
    there, so we don't go through it again.

    newsgroups if possible).

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:56:35 -0400, "mary" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there are wireless ones. I
    >can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
    >disadvantages to using the wireless ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I
    >am afraid I will break it within a month of buying it.

    There are 2 batteries on a wireless and the pickup is large and often
    difficult to mount on a front fork that has an aero shape. The pickup
    is frequently moves out of position.

    A wired computer is less expensive and more reliable. The piece of
    wire needn't be a cosmetic detriment and can be wound about a cable on
    the way to the handlebar. I happen to favor the Planet Bike
    computers. The pickup is small enough that it can be secured inside
    the fork blade w/o hitting the spokes a most wheels. They are lousy in
    the rain.

    I rode a couple of years w/o a computer. I felt that there was
    really no information on the puter that I needed. Now, I like seeing
    the time of day and temperature.

  4. tom-<< I
    can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
    disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>

    For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs the
    'advantages' of a cordless one....

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > tom-<< I
    > can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
    > disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs the
    > 'advantages' of a cordless one....
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken or
    intermittent wire failures and trying to find the failure on their "no
    disadvantage" wired bike computers. My Cordless II has been going for
    about seven years now and has yet to give me problems. Admittedly,
    though, there is an issue with low temps and batteries that I don't
    encounter 'cuz I get off the road at about 35 F.

    So, if you want to hassle with installing the wires and uglify up your
    ride and have to deal with repairing broken wires and all the
    attendant difficulties of the wired cyclocomputer, go ahead. For
    about $45 (or less) you can find a Cateye Cordless II that will
    provide years of decent service and it installs in about 3 minutes.

    When I put a corded 'puter on my trainer bike for cadence and speed
    from the rear wheel it took me the better part of an afternoon winding
    wires around tubes, getting the length right, yada, yada, yada.

    So if you have the money (maybe $15 more than a decent corded one) you
    will be much happier with how it looks, how it installs, and
    performance is no different.

    IMO.

    App

  6. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > tom-<< I
    > > can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
    > > disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs the
    > > 'advantages' of a cordless one....
    > >
    > > Peter Chisholm
    > > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > > 1833 Pearl St.
    > > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > > (303)440-3535
    > > http://www.vecchios.com
    > > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    > C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken or
    > intermittent wire failures and trying to find the failure on their "no
    > disadvantage" wired bike computers. My Cordless II has been going for
    > about seven years now and has yet to give me problems. Admittedly,
    > though, there is an issue with low temps and batteries that I don't
    > encounter 'cuz I get off the road at about 35 F.

    If you decide to ride in colder weather, then get a Specialized; mine
    has worked fine down to about 0F.

    newsgroups if possible).

  7. Greg Estep

    Greg Estep Guest

    "Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > tom-<< I
    > > can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
    > > disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs

    the
    > > 'advantages' of a cordless one....
    > >

    > C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken or
    > intermittent wire failures and trying to find the failure on their "no
    > disadvantage" wired bike computers. My Cordless II has been going for
    > about seven years now and has yet to give me problems.

    I have a CatEye Micro that is probably more than 10 years old. The thing
    won't die! It has even recently survived being slammed into the header of a
    garage door. BTW, I hear that you're not a "real cyclist" until you've done
    that at least once (That's probably what the LBS guys are trained to say to
    the embarrassed customer.) That particular event resulted in the mounting
    clamp being broken as it was ripped from the bar. I just zip-tied it back
    on, and it's going strong.

    --
    Greg Estep

  8. rosco

    rosco Guest

    "Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > For about $45 (or less) you can find a Cateye Cordless II that will
    > provide years of decent service and it installs in about 3 minutes.
    >

    > App

    Both REI and Nashbar have the Cateye Cordless 7 on sale for about $40. I
    had a Cordless II for a number of years that recently broke. The wireless
    part still worked fine; one of the button's failed.

  9. Cipher

    Cipher Guest

    Rosco wrote:
    > Both REI and Nashbar have the Cateye Cordless 7 on sale for about $40. I
    > had a Cordless II for a number of years that recently broke. The
    > wireless part still worked fine; one of the button's failed.

    I found and bought a Cateye Cordless 7 on Ebay for $26 earlier this
    spring. (So far it has worked great).

    --

  10. andrew smith

    andrew smith Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > tom-<< I
    > can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
    > disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs the
    > 'advantages' of a cordless one....

    The only realistic advantage I can think of for wireless is using one
    computer easily on two bikes.

    I assume you can do this with a wired (never owned one) model also.

    a.

  11. Arnaud

    Arnaud Guest

    A big drawback I found out recently: a GPS on your handlebar will interfere
    with the wireless computer... the computer was going crazy with the GPS on.

    news:[email protected]