Wireless Cyclometers question

mary

Guest
I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there are wireless ones. I
can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
disadvantages to using the wireless ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I
am afraid I will break it within a month of buying it.

Thanks

Tom

In article <[email protected]>, tombates@city-
net.com says...
> I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there are wireless ones. I
> can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
> disadvantages to using the wireless ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I
> am afraid I will break it within a month of buying it.

There was just a long thread about this in rec.bicycles.misc. Look
there, so we don't go through it again.

newsgroups if possible).

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:56:35 -0400, "mary" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there are wireless ones. I
>can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
>disadvantages to using the wireless ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I
>am afraid I will break it within a month of buying it.

There are 2 batteries on a wireless and the pickup is large and often
difficult to mount on a front fork that has an aero shape. The pickup
is frequently moves out of position.

A wired computer is less expensive and more reliable. The piece of
wire needn't be a cosmetic detriment and can be wound about a cable on
the way to the handlebar. I happen to favor the Planet Bike
computers. The pickup is small enough that it can be secured inside
the fork blade w/o hitting the spokes a most wheels. They are lousy in
the rain.

I rode a couple of years w/o a computer. I felt that there was
really no information on the puter that I needed. Now, I like seeing
the time of day and temperature.

tom-<< I
can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>

For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs the
'advantages' of a cordless one....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> tom-<< I
> can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
> disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
>
> For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs the
> 'advantages' of a cordless one....
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken or
intermittent wire failures and trying to find the failure on their "no
disadvantage" wired bike computers. My Cordless II has been going for
about seven years now and has yet to give me problems. Admittedly,
though, there is an issue with low temps and batteries that I don't
encounter 'cuz I get off the road at about 35 F.

So, if you want to hassle with installing the wires and uglify up your
ride and have to deal with repairing broken wires and all the
attendant difficulties of the wired cyclocomputer, go ahead. For
about $45 (or less) you can find a Cateye Cordless II that will
provide years of decent service and it installs in about 3 minutes.

When I put a corded 'puter on my trainer bike for cadence and speed
from the rear wheel it took me the better part of an afternoon winding
wires around tubes, getting the length right, yada, yada, yada.

So if you have the money (maybe $15 more than a decent corded one) you
will be much happier with how it looks, how it installs, and
performance is no different.

IMO.

App

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > tom-<< I
> > can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
> > disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
> >
> > For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs the
> > 'advantages' of a cordless one....
> >
> > Peter Chisholm
> > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> > 1833 Pearl St.
> > Boulder, CO, 80302
> > (303)440-3535
> > http://www.vecchios.com
> > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

> C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken or
> intermittent wire failures and trying to find the failure on their "no
> disadvantage" wired bike computers. My Cordless II has been going for
> about seven years now and has yet to give me problems. Admittedly,
> though, there is an issue with low temps and batteries that I don't
> encounter 'cuz I get off the road at about 35 F.

If you decide to ride in colder weather, then get a Specialized; mine
has worked fine down to about 0F.

newsgroups if possible).

"Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > tom-<< I
> > can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
> > disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
> >
> > For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs

the
> > 'advantages' of a cordless one....
> >

> C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken or
> intermittent wire failures and trying to find the failure on their "no
> disadvantage" wired bike computers. My Cordless II has been going for
> about seven years now and has yet to give me problems.

I have a CatEye Micro that is probably more than 10 years old. The thing
won't die! It has even recently survived being slammed into the header of a
garage door. BTW, I hear that you're not a "real cyclist" until you've done
that at least once (That's probably what the LBS guys are trained to say to
the embarrassed customer.) That particular event resulted in the mounting
clamp being broken as it was ripped from the bar. I just zip-tied it back
on, and it's going strong.

--
Greg Estep

"Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For about $45 (or less) you can find a Cateye Cordless II that will
> provide years of decent service and it installs in about 3 minutes.
>

> App

Both REI and Nashbar have the Cateye Cordless 7 on sale for about $40. I
had a Cordless II for a number of years that recently broke. The wireless
part still worked fine; one of the button's failed.

Rosco wrote:
> Both REI and Nashbar have the Cateye Cordless 7 on sale for about $40. I
> had a Cordless II for a number of years that recently broke. The
> wireless part still worked fine; one of the button's failed.

I found and bought a Cateye Cordless 7 on Ebay for $26 earlier this
spring. (So far it has worked great).

--

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tom-<< I
> can see the disadvantage to using one with wires, but are there any
> disadvantages to using the wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
>
> For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a corded one vs the
> 'advantages' of a cordless one....

The only realistic advantage I can think of for wireless is using one
computer easily on two bikes.

I assume you can do this with a wired (never owned one) model also.

a.

A big drawback I found out recently: a GPS on your handlebar will interfere
with the wireless computer... the computer was going crazy with the GPS on.

news:[email protected]...