Wireless Cyclometers question

Mary

Guest
I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there are
wireless ones. I can see the disadvantage to using one with
wires, but are there any disadvantages to using the wireless
ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I am afraid I will
break it within a month of buying it.

Thanks

Tom

In article <[email protected]>,
tombates@city- net.com says...
> I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there
> are wireless ones. I can see the disadvantage to using one
> with wires, but are there any disadvantages to using the
> wireless ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I am afraid
> I will break it within a month of buying it.

There was just a long thread about this in
rec.bicycles.misc. Look there, so we don't go through it
again.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:56:35 -0400, "mary" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I know there are cyclometers which use wires, and there are
>wireless ones. I can see the disadvantage to using one with
>wires, but are there any disadvantages to using the
>wireless ones. I hesitate to buy one, because I am afraid I
>will break it within a month of buying it.

There are 2 batteries on a wireless and the pickup is large
and often difficult to mount on a front fork that has an
aero shape. The pickup is frequently moves out of position.

A wired computer is less expensive and more reliable. The
piece of wire needn't be a cosmetic detriment and can be
wound about a cable on the way to the handlebar. I happen to
favor the Planet Bike computers. The pickup is small enough
that it can be secured inside the fork blade w/o hitting the
spokes a most wheels. They are lousy in the rain.

I rode a couple of years w/o a computer. I felt that there
was really no information on the puter that I needed. Now,
I like seeing the time of day and temperature.

tom-<< I can see the disadvantage to using one with wires,
but are there any disadvantages to using the wireless ones.
>><BR><BR>

For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a
corded one vs the 'advantages' of a cordless one....

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> tom-<< I can see the disadvantage to using one with wires,
> but are there any disadvantages to using the wireless
> ones. >><BR><BR>
>
> For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a
> corded one vs the 'advantages' of a cordless one....
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken or
intermittent wire failures and trying to find the failure on
their "no disadvantage" wired bike computers. My Cordless II
has been going for about seven years now and has yet to give
me problems. Admittedly, though, there is an issue with low
temps and batteries that I don't encounter 'cuz I get off
the road at about 35 F.

So, if you want to hassle with installing the wires and
uglify up your ride and have to deal with repairing broken
wires and all the attendant difficulties of the wired
cyclocomputer, go ahead. For about $45 (or less) you can
find a Cateye Cordless II that will provide years of decent
service and it installs in about 3 minutes.

When I put a corded 'puter on my trainer bike for cadence
and speed from the rear wheel it took me the better part of
an afternoon winding wires around tubes, getting the length
right, yada, yada, yada.

So if you have the money (maybe $15 more than a decent
corded one) you will be much happier with how it looks, how
it installs, and performance is no different.

IMO.

App

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in
> message news:<20040422085434.25300.00000023@mb-
> m22.aol.com>...
> > tom-<< I can see the disadvantage to using one with
> > wires, but are there any disadvantages to using the
> > wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
> >
> > For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a
> > corded one vs the 'advantages' of a cordless one....
> >
> > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
> > Boulder, CO, 80302
> > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote
> > convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
>
> C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken
> or intermittent wire failures and trying to find the
> failure on their "no disadvantage" wired bike computers.
> My Cordless II has been going for about seven years now
> and has yet to give me problems. Admittedly, though, there
> is an issue with low temps and batteries that I don't
> encounter 'cuz I get off the road at about 35 F.

If you decide to ride in colder weather, then get a
Specialized; mine has worked fine down to about 0F.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

"Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote
> in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > tom-<< I can see the disadvantage to using one with
> > wires, but are there any disadvantages to using the
> > wireless ones. >><BR><BR>
> >
> > For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a
> > corded one vs
the
> > 'advantages' of a cordless one....
> >

> C'mon Peter, I watch my riding buddies whine about broken
> or intermittent wire failures and trying to find the
> failure on their "no disadvantage" wired bike computers.
> My Cordless II has been going for about seven years now
> and has yet to give me problems.

I have a CatEye Micro that is probably more than 10 years
old. The thing won't die! It has even recently survived
being slammed into the header of a garage door. BTW, I hear
that you're not a "real cyclist" until you've done that at
least once (That's probably what the LBS guys are trained
to say to the embarrassed customer.) That particular event
resulted in the mounting clamp being broken as it was
ripped from the bar. I just zip-tied it back on, and it's
going strong.

--
Greg Estep

"Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For about $45 (or less) you can find a Cateye Cordless II
> that will provide years of decent service and it installs
> in about 3 minutes.
>

> App

Both REI and Nashbar have the Cateye Cordless 7 on sale for
about $40. I had a Cordless II for a number of years that
recently broke. The wireless part still worked fine; one of
the button's failed.

Originally posted by Rosco

Both REI and Nashbar have the Cateye Cordless 7 on sale for
about $40. I had a Cordless II for a number of years that
recently broke. The wireless part still worked fine; one of
the button's failed.

I found and bought a Cateye Cordless 7 on Ebay for $26 earlier this spring. (So far it has worked great).

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tom-<< I can see the disadvantage to using one with wires,
> but are there any disadvantages to using the wireless
> ones. >><BR><BR>
>
> For the price, I guess I don't see the diadvantages of a
> corded one vs the 'advantages' of a cordless one....

The only realistic advantage I can think of for wireless is
using one computer easily on two bikes.

I assume you can do this with a wired (never owned one)
model also.

a.

A big drawback I found out recently: a GPS on your handlebar
will interfere with the wireless computer... the computer
was going crazy with the GPS on.

net.com...