wireless intetnet while bicycling around australia

Provide he can stay in contact (availability of Hub Points and range of radio waves) with the
numerous wireless Internet connections across Australia, technically he could do it with pedal and
solar power. Would be great to be able to follow his progress. Maybe he should try to get
sponsorship from a supplier of wireless internet equipment.

Gary V

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Wow, why is everyone being so hard on the guy? Keep
it up if you want to make Aussies look like a bunch of unhelpful, ****-taking wankers.

Anyway, I've read about some guy who cycle tours with an Internet connection, laptop, solar panels,
the whole nine yards, so it's not as stupid a concept as some of you are trying to suggest.

If nobody tried anything new, we'd still be living in caves listening to Triple M.

&roo

---

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:32:18 +1000, Chris Baird wrote:

> My intention is to use something like a Sharp Zauras, running GNU/Linux, and UUCP.
>
> Zauras: <http://www.myzaurus.com/> a PDA that approuches what I'd want.. (that is, just as about
> as good as a desktop.) Easily hidden and secured. Has the ports necessary for my digital camera
> and modem. I'll be able to get by with an off-the-shelf $50 solar recharger. There is wireless
> available, but that's just a pointless accessory to me.

This is sage advice (not sure about UUCP though Chris ;P). Any sort of pocket PC would be ideal, but
I'd run Linux too.

I tour with a Palm (+keyboard) for recording my travel journal. While away I'm not really
interested in internet access, I travel to get away from that sort of stuff. When I bought the
Palm, I was waiting and waiting for the Zarus, but it never shipped in time. (The Palm is
significantly cheaper too)

As far as internet access goes, if you stick to the east coast then GPRS and/or internet cafe's
should be a no-brainer. Watch the costs of GPRS though, everyone I've talked to who has used it says
it's great but very expensive. Outside the coastal strip you may SOL in terms of mobile internet.

When I travel to work, I download web pages to the Palm for offline reading. The application
"Plucker" (and JPluckX) are excellent for this. Taking this software along with you, it would be
possible to download relevant web pages to your area, and store them on a SD/CF Card (Btw: very
cheap cards at www.everythinglinux.com.au). Currently I download a handful of newspapers daily, and
then read them during the train trip. But there's no reason why this couldn't be details on a
national park, or a copy of the Bicycle NSW website.

Anyway, that's my 2cents worth -kt

Anybody who follows the 'aus.computers' news group, would by now, know my thoughts about Rod Speed.
He now further proves my statements about him but he did surprise me as he has now proven that he
obviously no real life or sense of adventure. His whole basis to life is to abuse and denigrate
people - what a sad desperate individual. You would wonder why anyone would have bothered to raise
such an individual for them to live such an abusive and cowardly existence.

He be very frustrated by my response trying to think of a new abusive

child desperately cowering behind... yadda yadda' - high class stuff.

I await his response as proof of my statements.

Gazza

"Rod Speed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Paul <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... just the
puerile **** thats always pouring from the back of it.

---

Oh sir; more than 2 cents.

"kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:32:18 +1000, Chris Baird wrote:
>
> > My intention is to use something like a Sharp Zauras, running GNU/Linux, and UUCP.
> >
> > Zauras: <http://www.myzaurus.com/> a PDA that approuches what I'd want.. (that is, just as about
> > as good as a desktop.) Easily hidden and secured. Has the ports necessary for my digital camera
> > and modem. I'll be able to get by with an off-the-shelf $50 solar recharger. There is wireless
> > available, but that's just a pointless accessory to me.
>
> This is sage advice (not sure about UUCP though Chris ;P). Any sort of pocket PC would be ideal,
> but I'd run Linux too.
>
> I tour with a Palm (+keyboard) for recording my travel journal. While away I'm not really
> interested in internet access, I travel to get away from that sort of stuff. When I bought the
> Palm, I was waiting and waiting for the Zarus, but it never shipped in time. (The Palm is
> significantly cheaper too)
>
> As far as internet access goes, if you stick to the east coast then GPRS and/or internet cafe's
> should be a no-brainer. Watch the costs of GPRS though, everyone I've talked to who has used it
> says it's great but very expensive. Outside the coastal strip you may SOL in terms of mobile
> internet.
>
> When I travel to work, I download web pages to the Palm for offline reading. The application
> "Plucker" (and JPluckX) are excellent for this. Taking this software along with you, it would be
> possible to download relevant web pages to your area, and store them on a SD/CF Card (Btw: very
> cheap cards at www.everythinglinux.com.au). Currently I download a handful of newspapers daily,
> and then read them during the train trip. But there's no reason why this couldn't be details on a
> national park, or a copy of the Bicycle NSW website.
>
> Anyway, that's my 2cents worth -kt

> > I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle.
>
> You should be run over and squashed flat.
>
> Service to the travelling public.

Why did you say that? I'm just recovering from a broken left wrist and right collar bone from being
hit by a car that neglected to look. My friend was killed on a bike ride up the east coast. I dont
understand your point.

> Yes, but he designed it from the ground up and he did his own research. He was also a working
> journalist who didn't want fancy gui's and didn't expect to plug into the internet in the
> outback. He didn't come here with a breezeway between the ears wanting someone else to tell him
> how he did it.

Terry, why do this man? Why be nasty to someone who just wants to ride up the coast, burning no
fuel, hurting no-one, and crusify him because he fantises about having broadband internet in his
palm. Why not try to help? Why not contribute. I think you're in the wrong newsgroup.

Try i'moneofthosesociopathicausiesthatgivetherestabadname.au You'll be happy there.

Like, are you bored or something? Why pick on aus bicycles? I thought all these messages were going
to be full of information but it turns out its jsut full of **** from two guys and everyone else
running to my defence arguing with you and all of a sudden you're talking about meaningless ****.
Are you one of those people that abused animals when you were a child? What are they called
again...oh yeh - sociopath.

Hey thanks Gary, I considered the sponsership thing, I'm not usually that audacious though. Am
working towards it yeh. And you will be able to follow my progress cause I want to keep it regular
on a website with updated GPS location so forth and see how it goes using the internet for local
info to smooth off my city slicker ignorance of the bush.

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Provide he can stay in contact (availability of Hub Points and range of radio waves) with the
> numerous wireless Internet connections across Australia, technically he could do it with pedal and
> solar power. Would be great to be able to follow his progress. Maybe he should try to get
> sponsorship from a supplier of wireless internet equipment.
>
> Gary V
>
> "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... Wow, why is everyone being so hard on the guy?
> Keep it up if you want to make Aussies look like a bunch of unhelpful, ****-taking wankers.
>
> Anyway, I've read about some guy who cycle tours with an Internet connection, laptop, solar
> panels, the whole nine yards, so it's not as stupid a concept as some of you are trying to
> suggest.
>
> If nobody tried anything new, we'd still be living in caves listening to Triple M.
>
> &roo
>

> ---

Midex <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle.

>> You should be run over and squashed flat.

>> Service to the travelling public.

> Why did you say that?

Because its true ? Novel concept what ?

> I'm just recovering from a broken left wrist and right collar bone from being hit by a car that
> neglected to look.

Hopefully the next one will do a proper job.

> My friend was killed on a bike ride up the east coast.

Great.

> I dont understand your point.

Your problem.

"Midex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle. I imagine I can charge my laptop with a
> dynamo but I'm going to miss being broadband or anyband to the internet. Could someone suggest a
> solution. Thanks.

What ever you do DON'T get involved in any conversation involving Rod Speed. He was a bloody
nuisance on Fido long before the Internet was available.

http://www.rodspeed.cjb.net/

...snip....

> Terry, why do this man?

"because he fantises" Lay off the waccky baccy or fsck off.

I set out to give you a realistic assessment of what is possible now. So go back and read what I
wrote, and what a few other people have told you. You said you wanted to do it, not that you just
happened to have the keyboard within reach whilst self stimulating.

I am very happy to help someone who demonstrates they have given it some thought, but not someone
who is fantising. That is a complete and utter waste of time.

If you want to contribute, do a bit of research. Take the information on the various methods that
people have given you and work out cost, weight, power requirements, etc.

Something about Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration springs to mind.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,

Midex wrote:

> Terry, maybe you should get some therapy. You're really negative and a put down.

hahaha, I give you a URL to start educating yourself so you don't sound like a total fruit cake and
you say I need some therapy. BTW, I did suggest a perfectly reasonable and workable solution.

...snipp..

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,
Publishing>

I guess you could plan your trips to coincide with the locations of Internet Cafe's .... there has
to be a few out there now!

That would mean that you wouldn't have to worry about the laptop.

On a side note....I did a ride in the Simpson Desert a few years ago and we uploaded data to the
'net via a laptop and a satellite phone!

Cheers, Rob

If nobody tried anything new, we'd still be living in caves listening to
: Triple M.

You cannot reason with Trolls. Leave it.

In article <[email protected]> Wed, 04 Jun 2003
18:31:03 +1000 Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Wow, why is everyone being so hard on the guy? Keep it up if you want to make Aussies look like a
>bunch of unhelpful, ****-taking wankers.
>
>Anyway, I've read about some guy who cycle tours with an Internet connection, laptop, solar panels,
>the whole nine yards, so it's not as stupid a concept as some of you are trying to suggest.
>
>If nobody tried anything new, we'd still be living in caves listening to Triple M.
>
>&roo

Well said.

I think the project you speak of is the now defunct Behenmoth project.

http://www.microship.com/bike/behemoth/why.html

David

On 4 Jun 2003 16:30:04 +0950 Tezza <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Midex, Your best be is to rely on wind power. Buy one of those little propeller hats and rig
> your daynamo up to that. You'll have power wherever you go.

What an excellent idea. A propellor also at the ends of the handlebar would triple the power
available.

And when the going gets tough, you could have an electrical reversing switch and use the propellors
to blow you along, be good for going up hills.

Mr H Robertson can probably fix you up with that at a very good price.

--
no sig by request