Wireless Technology/Frequency of Cordless Cyclocomputers and Heart Rate Monitors???????????

NYC Doc

Guest
What RF regime do bicycle computers and heart rate monitors use?

Previously, I owned a relatively expensive ($300) Polar S-710, which did not
appear to suffer from any interference in the year or so that I owned it.
The $45 Vetta RT 88 that I recently purchased and quickly returned was
severely impacted by electronic devices including personal computers and
cell phones. The latter caused a problem becuase I mount my cell phone to
my handlebar. When I called tech support, the representative said this is
a know issue. When I told him this behavior was never exhibited by my
Polar, the rep responded with "that is why it costs $300".

Other people have mentioned that it is these computers are affected by
underground electrical equipment. Here in Manhattan, they could be
referring to subway transformers, but I can't be certain.

As I understand, the Polar models are coded and the cheaper heart rate
monitors (and bicycle computers) are not. Any idea what the difference is?

NYC Doc wrote:
> What RF regime do bicycle computers and heart rate monitors use?
>

> Previously, I owned a relatively expensive ($300) Polar S-710, which
> did not appear to suffer from any interference in the year or so that
> I owned it. The $45 Vetta RT 88 that I recently purchased and quickly
> returned was severely impacted by electronic devices including
> personal computers and cell phones. The latter caused a problem
> becuase I mount my cell phone to my handlebar. When I called tech
> support, the representative said this is a know issue. When I told
> him this behavior was never exhibited by my Polar, the rep responded
> with "that is why it costs $300".
>
> Other people have mentioned that it is these computers are affected by
> underground electrical equipment. Here in Manhattan, they could be
> referring to subway transformers, but I can't be certain.
>
> As I understand, the Polar models are coded and the cheaper heart rate
> monitors (and bicycle computers) are not. Any idea what the
> difference is?

Polar HRMs suffer from interference as well. Passing under High Power wires,
trams etc. Not so badly maybe but there will be unexplained peaks when
looked upon after the ride. Speeds of 220 kph, HR of 230, cadence of 180
etc. Very small and distinctive peaks, easy to spot and erase.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

That might be a function of the high-power lines interfering with the highly
sensitive amplication circuit in the heart rate sensor itself. That would
be totally unavoidable.

I am interested in the interference (and RF tech) of the sensor to head
unit wireless transmission.

news:[email protected]...

NYC Doc wrote:
> That might be a function of the high-power lines interfering with the
> highly sensitive amplication circuit in the heart rate sensor itself.
> That would be totally unavoidable.
>
> I am interested in the interference (and RF tech) of the sensor to
> head unit wireless transmission.

Best place to find out something about Polar HRMs is
http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi