Wires strung between trees

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/4597616.stm

    Bikers warned of tree wire danger
    Police are warning anyone who uses a stretch of woodland of wires tied
    deliberately tied between trees.

    One cyclist was injured slightly when riding his bike in Ransom Wood off
    the Rainworth bypass in Nottinghamshire.

    Officers are also concerned that if a motorcyclist hit the wire they
    could be seriously, if not fatally, injured.

    Pc John Albanese said: "If they hit the wire at anything faster than
    10mph they would be seriously injured, perhaps even decapitated."

    He added: "It could be the work of a prankster, but it is more likely a
    crude attempt to stop illegal off-road bikers from using the path.

    "It may seem a justified course of action to whoever did this, but their
    method is very dangerous and could cost someone their life."

    The 37-year-old cyclist was saved from severe injury by his helmet,
    which took the force of the impact with the head-height wire.

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/4597616.stm
    >
    > Bikers warned of tree wire danger
    > Police are warning anyone who uses a stretch of woodland of wires tied
    > deliberately tied between trees.
    >
    > One cyclist was injured slightly when riding his bike in Ransom Wood off
    > the Rainworth bypass in Nottinghamshire.
    >
    > Officers are also concerned that if a motorcyclist hit the wire they
    > could be seriously, if not fatally, injured.
    >
    > Pc John Albanese said: "If they hit the wire at anything faster than
    > 10mph they would be seriously injured, perhaps even decapitated."
    >
    > He added: "It could be the work of a prankster, but it is more likely a
    > crude attempt to stop illegal off-road bikers from using the path.
    >
    > "It may seem a justified course of action to whoever did this, but their
    > method is very dangerous and could cost someone their life."
    >
    > The 37-year-old cyclist was saved from severe injury by his helmet,
    > which took the force of the impact with the head-height wire.

    this has happened before (wasn't it Danny Colyer?). Since when do pedal
    cycles only go less than 10mph?

  3. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Richard" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/4597616.stm
    >
    > Bikers warned of tree wire danger
    > Police are warning anyone who uses a stretch of woodland of wires tied
    > deliberately tied between trees.
    >
    > One cyclist was injured slightly when riding his bike in Ransom Wood off
    > the Rainworth bypass in Nottinghamshire.
    >
    > Officers are also concerned that if a motorcyclist hit the wire they could
    > be seriously, if not fatally, injured.
    >
    > Pc John Albanese said: "If they hit the wire at anything faster than 10mph
    > they would be seriously injured, perhaps even decapitated."
    >
    > He added: "It could be the work of a prankster, but it is more likely a
    > crude attempt to stop illegal off-road bikers from using the path.
    >
    > "It may seem a justified course of action to whoever did this, but their
    > method is very dangerous and could cost someone their life."
    >
    > The 37-year-old cyclist was saved from severe injury by his helmet, which
    > took the force of the impact with the head-height wire.

    Is this "multi-post" week?

  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    elyob wrote:

    > Is this "multi-post" week?

    What are you babbling about?

    R.

  5. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Richard" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > elyob wrote:
    >
    >> Is this "multi-post" week?

    > What are you babbling about?

    I'm "babbling" about the fact that you were too lazy to check whether
    someone had already posted about this.

  6. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:01:13 +0000 someone who may be Richard
    <[email protected]> wrote
    this:-

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/4597616.stm

    >The 37-year-old cyclist was saved from severe injury by his helmet,
    >which took the force of the impact with the head-height wire.

    Assuming it was not a full face helmet, we can conclude that the
    wire would have contacted his head at forehead level. Even over
    10mph it would be most unlikely for him to be decapitated like that.

    He might also have passed under the wire completely had he not been
    wearing a helmet.

    Note for those that like to twist posts. None of the above in any
    way condones the activities of those who erected the wire.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh

  7. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:58:59 +0000, elyob wrote:

    > I'm "babbling" about the fact that you were too lazy to check whether
    > someone had already posted about this.

    Usenet (NNTP to be precise) is not an instantaneous transmission medium.
    Depending on the connections to your provider it may take hours for
    articles to show up. With things like Google groups it can be days. This
    is why news items frequently get multiple mentions.

    Mike

  8. elyob wrote:

    > Is this "multi-post" week?

    It seems MattB posted the other report, so I imagine quite a few people
    might not have read it.

    --
    Ambrose

  9. SW

    SW Guest

    David Hansen wrote:

    > He might also have passed under the wire completely had he not been
    > wearing a helmet.

    .... or the wire could have caught under the rim of the helmet causing
    his neck to snap back sharply...

  10. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > elyob wrote:
    >
    >> Is this "multi-post" week?

    > It seems MattB posted the other report, so I imagine quite a few people
    > might not have read it.

    Indeed. TrollB is in my killfile. As, now, is elyob.

    R.

  11. elyob wrote:
    > "Richard"
    > <[email protected]> wrote

    Things both needing the taking of a chill pill.

    Cool it, lads.

    --
    Ambrose

  12. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > elyob wrote:
    >
    >> "Richard"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote

    > Things both needing the taking of a chill pill.
    >
    > Cool it, lads.

    My apologies to elyob and all, my reaction was uncalled-for.

    R.

  13. elyob2

    elyob2 Guest

    "Richard" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >> elyob wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is this "multi-post" week?

    >> It seems MattB posted the other report, so I imagine quite a few people
    >> might not have read it.

    > Indeed. TrollB is in my killfile. As, now, is elyob.

    Good

  14. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Richard" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >> elyob wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Richard"
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote

    >> Things both needing the taking of a chill pill.
    >>
    >> Cool it, lads.

    > My apologies to elyob and all, my reaction was uncalled-for.

    Sorry to wind you up.

  15. If only the Police would treat this for what it is, attempted murder.

  16. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    SW came up with the following;:
    > David Hansen wrote:
    >>
    >> He might also have passed under the wire completely had he not been
    >> wearing a helmet.
    >>

    > ... or the wire could have caught under the rim of the helmet causing
    > his neck to snap back sharply...

    or simply sawed through/broken off the polystyrene with little effect on the
    rider ...

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  17. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David Hansen wrote:

    > Assuming it was not a full face helmet, we can conclude that the
    > wire would have contacted his head at forehead level. Even over
    > 10mph it would be most unlikely for him to be decapitated like that.

    If it was a full face helmet, unless it was fitted with a visor it would
    still have hit his face or slid off the chin bar onto his neck. and it
    is easier to sever a helmet than a head or neck.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  18. "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Richard" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]

    >>> Things both needing the taking of a chill pill.
    >>>
    >>> Cool it, lads.

    >> My apologies to elyob and all, my reaction was uncalled-for.
    >>

    > Sorry to wind you up.

    steady on guys. an unpleasant argument ending amicably. Most unusual for
    Usenet

  19. MartinM wrote:
    > Since when do pedal cycles only go less than 10mph?

    <sarcasm>
    When you fall into the group of 'typical cyclist' for which cycle
    tracks are designed.

    Such cyclists often ride bikes only a foot wide and don't mind sharing
    their facilities with pedestrians, parked cars and anti-cycling
    barriers.
    </sarcasm>

    Glad the police actually see this as a problem. At Colwyn Bay nobody
    is interested in fishermen casting out off the promenade into the paths
    of oncoming cyclists.

    peter

  20. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    elyob wrote:

    >> My apologies to elyob and all, my reaction was uncalled-for.
    >>

    > Sorry to wind you up.

    "No, after you!" ;-)

    --
    Tony