Wisconsin/Minnesota cycling

The St. Croix valley offers some good climbs. Plenty of hills can be found in/around Taylors Falls, Osceola, Marine on St. Croix (Nason hill) and Stillwater.

Where about are you looking to ride?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Osceola,+WI&aq=4&sll=45.246166,-93.00504&sspn=0.011361,0.032873&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Osceola,+Polk,+Wisconsin&ll=45.294936,-92.769585&spn=0.181618,0.52597&t=p&z=12&lci=bike

For WI you can go to Dairy Land Dare or Horribly Hilly Hundreds website and download there maps. There will be more than enough hills on either of those routes.

Maydog: I live in Eau Claire so thats not too far from some of the spots. I'm willing to do some driving occasionally, we don't have a whole lot for climbing around here. And if we do, I just haven't found the spots yet. :)

MMMhills: Thanks for the event post, sounds interesting. I'll definately look into it! I'm looking into doing some more events and maybe starting some racing this summer.

Hey Ben,

it's nice to see another Wisconsinite on here.

I have a similar problem, I live in central Wisconsin so it's nothing but flat. The nearest hill is 30 miles away and it's ONE hill. Anywhoo, If you go on mapmyride here there are a couple of rides listed that have 1500ft or more of climbing near Eau Claire.

Otherwise, I'd get in with some of the cycling clubs there. Just go to one of the bike shops and inquire about local cycling groups and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Benlikestobike .

Maydog: I live in Eau Claire so thats not too far from some of the spots. I'm willing to do some driving occasionally, we don't have a whole lot for climbing around here. And if we do, I just haven't found the spots yet. :)

MMMhills: Thanks for the event post, sounds interesting. I'll definately look into it! I'm looking into doing some more events and maybe starting some racing this summer.

You might want to check out the area around Rock Falls. I haven't ridden a bicycle around there, but I used to race at Rock Falls Speedway often and I seem to remember the country around there being fairly hilly.

Like Maydog said, there's plenty of steep hills along the St. Croix in Southwest WI or Southeast MN ( that's the part of MN that the glacier didn't flatten ), but it would be a long trip from where you live.

Originally Posted by teenroadwarrior .

Hey Ben,

it's nice to see another Wisconsinite on here.

I have a similar problem, I live in central Wisconsin so it's nothing but flat. The nearest hill is 30 miles away and it's ONE hill. Anywhoo, If you go on mapmyride here there are a couple of rides listed that have 1500ft or more of climbing near Eau Claire.

Otherwise, I'd get in with some of the cycling clubs there. Just go to one of the bike shops and inquire about local cycling groups and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Thanks roadwarrior, the mapmyride site looks pretty neat! I saw a few rides on there with some decent climbing so I'll definately have to check that out.

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

You might want to check out the area around Rock Falls. I haven't ridden a bicycle around there, but I used to race at Rock Falls Speedway often and I seem to remember the country around there being fairly hilly.

Like Maydog said, there's plenty of steep hills along the St. Croix in Southwest WI or Southeast MN ( that's the part of MN that the glacier didn't flatten ), but it would be a long trip from where you live.

Hmm, I've never rode over there. I'll have to look into it, and yeah southwest wi or southeast mn would be a pretty long trip. It would be something to try on a free weekend sometime though.

-Either of you guys know of any good beginner road-races to try out in west-central wisconsin this summer???

at the present time i live in south menomonie,wi

county D going west off hwy 25 is a nice hill climb up to cty rd K...
now you can i either go south on Cty K where it intersect with cty rd D...or go north...
but these county roads west of menomonie are some nice ass kicking hills...
it took me on the third try to bike up from Irvington on cty rd D to the top...
and it was worth it...
check out these roads in this area from menomonie toward the st. croix river....some really nice ass kicking hills...
good luck