Wish me luck....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    My new fitness regime starts tomorrow with a test run of my new cycle commute to work and back.
    (approx. 6 miles or so)

    Hope I handle it ok - any tips from you vets out there?

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. Lee

    Lee Guest

    I should add thats 6 miles each way ;-)

    "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My new fitness regime starts tomorrow with a test run of my new cycle commute to work and back.
    > (approx. 6 miles or so)
    >
    > Hope I handle it ok - any tips from you vets out there?
    >
    > Lee

  3. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:23:43 +0100, Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My new fitness regime starts tomorrow with a test run of my new cycle commute to work and back.
    > (approx. 6 miles or so)
    >
    > Hope I handle it ok - any tips from you vets out there?

    Don't give up in the first few weeks. It takes maybe 4-6 weeks before some of the "hills" flatten
    out (I'm assuming you don't have any real hills but if your not used to it every incline will feel
    like a hill)

    When I started commuting to work I had four "hills" and I would count them. Within a couple of
    months I would be thinking "oh, I'm at the top of the last hill." Now I can't even remember
    which particular slopes were two of the four hills and the other two are short enough that I can
    sprint up them.

    Tim.

  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Tim Woodall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:23:43 +0100,
    > >
    > Don't give up in the first few weeks. It takes maybe 4-6 weeks before some of the "hills" flatten
    > out (I'm assuming you don't have any real hills but if your not used to it every incline will feel
    > like a hill)
    >
    > When I started commuting to work I had four "hills" and I would count them. Within a couple of
    > months I would be thinking "oh, I'm at the top of the last hill." Now I can't even remember which
    > particular slopes were two of the four hills and the other two are short enough that I can sprint
    > up them.
    >
    > Tim.

    Yeah its reasonably flat - there are a few steady inclines but nothing that is horrendous. Plus, as
    a bonus, there are cycle paths nearly all the route so im hardly ever on the road!!!

    I am under no illusion that it isnt going to be easy to start with but that fact that I am excited
    about doing it must be a good sign! My downfall has always been willpower and sticking at things -
    lets hope this one is a little more successful!

    All being well, if tomorrow goes ok Ill be cycling to work on Monday and will let you know how it
    all goes ;-)

  5. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:23:43 +0100, "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My new fitness regime starts tomorrow with a test run of my new cycle commute to work and back.
    >(approx. 6 miles or so)
    >
    >Hope I handle it ok - any tips from you vets out there?

    Don't ask yourself the question: Shall I ride to work today or... Just get on your bike and go. It
    may help if you lay out your cycling clothes each night and get into them as soon as you get up.
    Once the pedals are turning the rest is easy.

    --
    Dave...

  6. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:23:43 +0100, "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Don't ask yourself the question: Shall I ride to work today or... Just get on your bike and go. It
    > may help if you lay out your cycling clothes each night and get into them as soon as you get up.
    > Once the pedals are turning the rest is easy.
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

    Well my ultimate aim (2-3 months or so) is to get rid of my car so I guess its either cycle to work
    or dont go ;-)

    My fiancee has a car and one is enough for us!

  7. Lee wrote:

    [snip]

    > My fiancee has a car and one is enough for us!

    Steady, lad, that way lies perdition : if you've already given up the second car /before/ you get
    married, what will you have left to give up /after/ ?!

    ** Phil.

  8. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > Yeah its reasonably flat - there are a few steady inclines but nothing
    that
    > is horrendous. Plus, as a bonus, there are cycle paths nearly all the
    route
    > so im hardly ever on the road!!!
    >
    > I am under no illusion that it isnt going to be easy to start with but
    that
    > fact that I am excited about doing it must be a good sign! My downfall
    has
    > always been willpower and sticking at things - lets hope this one is a little more successful!
    >
    > All being well, if tomorrow goes ok Ill be cycling to work on Monday and will let you know how it
    > all goes ;-)

    Aye, just hop on the bike and go. If you're not on the road and don't push too hard 6 miles isn't
    that far. If you're like me - you'll get to really enjoy it. Get to work wide awake with a smile and
    a quiet moral smugness. Don't think you'll need any tips, just breathe deep and enjoy the ride. Its
    especially nice to enjoy the control - cars get stuck in traffic and can never find a park - Nowt
    they can do about it. On the bike it's up to you - ride faster,slower, park where you like, duck
    into shops quickly without worrying about meters, start talking to other cyclists at the lights.....

    If you don't have a cycle computer its £15 really well spent (for me, anyway). It's motivating to
    watch the miles add up and racing yourself is fun.

    The hardest time to get on the bike is with a killer hang-over. Thats the most important time. After
    15 mins it's gone. If I cheat and get the tube I'll be hungover till lunch.

  9. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Lee wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > My fiancee has a car and one is enough for us!
    >
    > Steady, lad, that way lies perdition : if you've already given up the second car /before/ you get
    > married, what will you have left to give up /after/ ?!
    >
    > ** Phil.

    Hee hee thats a good question... let me see

  10. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:23:43 +0100, "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >My new fitness regime starts tomorrow with a test run of my new cycle commute to work and back.
    > >(approx. 6 miles or so)
    > >
    > >Hope I handle it ok - any tips from you vets out there?
    >
    > Don't ask yourself the question: Shall I ride to work today or... Just get on your bike and go. It
    > may help if you lay out your cycling clothes each night and get into them as soon as you get up.
    > Once the pedals are turning the rest is easy.

    Agreed. The way I get to work is by bike. Make sure you either carry to work or have dry clothes for
    the day. Then you can go for it if need be & not worry about the weather or being sweaty.

    Personally I don't mind the rain as I know I'll be in work in nice dry clothes unlike some of my
    co-workers

    Don't give up too soon. You'll find your fitness increase very quickly. Speed will help in
    traffic. Don't ride in the gutter you'll get more room that way & use eye contact (even if you've
    got shades on).

    Stare at people & they will look at you.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    > --
    > Dave...

  11. Doobrie

    Doobrie Guest

    > Don't give up too soon. You'll find your fitness increase very quickly. Speed will help in
    > traffic. Don't ride in the gutter you'll get more room that way & use eye contact (even if you've
    > got shades on).
    >
    > Stare at people & they will look at you.

    yes, im also 'thinking' of doing this too ... but for me its 15 mile each way on an A road more or
    less all the way fairly straight ... if i went alternative routes then that'd just make the trip
    impossible for me adding crazy milage to it and to top it off the smaller roads would probably just
    have as much if not more traffic on aiming for the main A road ....sigh!

    i guess it doesnt really matter if i give myself plenty of time to get there and back on what the
    fitness level is - even if i start a couple days a week to get the fitness up i spose i'll soon
    find me legs

  12. Andy P

    Andy P Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Well my ultimate aim (2-3 months or so) is to get rid of my car so I guess its either cycle to
    > work or dont go ;-)
    >
    > My fiancee has a car and one is enough for us!

    Good luck. I gave up my car about a year ago and am really glad I did. I know I can make use of my
    girlfriend's if I really need to but it's surprising how well you can manage with a bit of
    determination. I wavered a bit as winter approached last year but once I'd got some decent enough
    lights for the regular weekend hour and a half ride I need to do along dark country lanes (or
    offroad through the woods even for some of it) I soon realised it was actually more of a pleasure
    than a hardship.

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:51:43 +0100, "Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I gave up my car about a year ago [...] I wavered a bit as winter approached last year but once I'd
    >got some decent enough lights for the regular weekend hour and a half ride I need to do along dark
    >country lanes [...] I soon realised it was actually more of a pleasure than a hardship.

    Good for you. We sold the second car last year as well and it's saved us a packet. Winter riding is
    worse in the contemplation than in the reality, and once you have a dynamo lighting system on your
    bike dark evenings become a non-issue - with the additional benefit that if you leave work late
    during Warmrain[1] you will still be safe and legal.

    [1] formerly known as Summer

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com [currently
    offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

  14. "Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP]" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Steady, lad, that way lies perdition :
    if you've ) already given up the second car /before/ you get ( married, what will you have left to
    give up /after/ ?!

    Does this mean we should both go out and buy a car each before getting married so that we can give
    one or both of them up?

  15. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Aye, just hop on the bike and go. If you're not on the road and don't
    push
    > too hard 6 miles isn't that far. If you're like me - you'll get to really enjoy it. Get to work
    > wide awake with a smile and a quiet moral smugness. Don't think you'll need any tips, just breathe
    > deep and enjoy the ride.
    Its
    > especially nice to enjoy the control - cars get stuck in traffic and can never find a park - Nowt
    > they can do about it. On the bike it's up to you - ride faster,slower, park where you like, duck
    > into shops quickly without worrying about meters, start talking to other cyclists at the
    > lights.....
    >
    > If you don't have a cycle computer its £15 really well spent (for me, anyway). It's motivating to
    > watch the miles add up and racing yourself is fun.
    >
    > The hardest time to get on the bike is with a killer hang-over. Thats the most important time.
    > After 15 mins it's gone. If I cheat and get the
    tube
    > I'll be hungover till lunch.

    How bizzare!! My plans are delayed a little as my bike needed some rather essential maintenance
    (new chain and possibly new gears). I went out for a test run on Sunday morning and nearly died due
    to 3 reasons:

    1) Hangover I didnt realise i had - i was so ill!

    2) General fitness needs improving a bit before I do the "full commute".

    3) I need to lose weight too!

    I am committed to doing this commute but think it will take a couple of months or so befire my
    fitness is at such a level it doesnt kill me!

  16. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > yes, im also 'thinking' of doing this too ... but for me its 15 mile each way on an A road more or
    > less all the way fairly straight ... if i went alternative routes then that'd just make the trip
    > impossible for me adding crazy milage to it and to top it off the smaller roads would probably
    > just have as much if not more traffic on aiming for the main A road ....sigh!
    >
    > i guess it doesnt really matter if i give myself plenty of time to get there and back on what the
    > fitness level is - even if i start a couple days a week to get the fitness up i spose i'll soon
    > find me legs

    I have BIIIIIG fitness issues!

    Thought I would go for a test drive on Sunday, not all the way but see how far I could get - managed
    about 1/2 a mile!! Now, im not sure if I should put this down to my general fitness (which I am sure
    will play a BIG part) or the fact that I was rather drunk on Saturday night (actually, replace
    rather drunk with VERY drunk) and I woke up feeling ok - got half way up a hill and suddenly felt
    really ill! Had to stop and heaved a few times - then went home!!

    Any tips for increasing fitness (i do need to lose weight too as lugging 16st around on a bike
    isnt easy!)?

  17. Doobrie

    Doobrie Guest

    > Any tips for increasing fitness (i do need to lose weight too as lugging 16st around on a bike
    > isnt easy!)?

    try again without the hangover ;)

    also, try not to go up any hills or just walk them ... why tire yourself out on a hill when you need
    to get some spinning on the flats going before you attempt the hills

    and believe me ... if i can do 10 mile (1st time sunday just gone) you can do it too - just need to
    keep trying ... and lugging 16 stone around is something im aiming for ... from a long way off so
    dont worry bout the weight too much as once you get into the regular cycling it will start to come
    off ... just eat more healthy, most of us know how to we just dont like doing it ... if you need any
    more advice than that, ask away ;)

  18. Stevie D

    Stevie D Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > Any tips for increasing fitness (i do need to lose weight too as lugging 16st around on a bike
    > isnt easy!)?

    An article I read the other day said that a cup of coffee, tea, coke or any other caffeinated drink
    before exercise promotes weight loss, because the caffeine -somehow or other- gets your body to burn
    its fat reserves more quickly.

    --
    Stevie D \\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the \\\\\\\__X__///////
    common hedgehog since 2001 - "HedgeHugs" ___\\\\\\\'/

  19. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Stevie D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lee wrote:
    >
    > > Any tips for increasing fitness (i do need to lose weight too as lugging 16st around on a bike
    > > isnt easy!)?
    >
    > An article I read the other day said that a cup of coffee, tea, coke or any other caffeinated
    > drink before exercise promotes weight loss, because the caffeine -somehow or other- gets your body
    > to burn its fat reserves more quickly.
    >
    > --
    > Stevie D \\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the \\\\\\\__X__///////
    > common hedgehog since 2001 - "HedgeHugs" ___\\\\\\\'/

    Lucky as I always have a cuppa coffee before my commute - will try having one before I leave in an
    evening too!

  20. It does. Fat is mobilised from the andipose cells (eg on your beer belly) and metabolised (burnt)
    more easily in the presence of caffeine. The net effect is small though - about 5% more fat is
    burnt. Not a great deal but if you have a lot to lose then every little helps.

    I had some research papers on this very subject that I have mislaid somewhere.