Wish me luck...

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:12:01 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.ctc.org.uk/about/vacancies.aspx Guy
>===
>** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
>Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

Well, you're intelligent, articulate, ride a bike or two, got plenty of experinence, and boy, can
certainly talk a good game....so you must be in with a decent shout.

Good luck that man.

gb

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/about/vacancies.aspx

CTC? How far is Reading-Godawful? I have a suspicion it's a little further than I'd choose to
commute, though I s'pose you have things like trains to Guildford?

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> CTC? How far is Reading-Godawful? I have a suspicion it's a little
further
> than I'd choose to commute, though I s'pose you have things like trains to Guildford?

you do - not particularly reliable ones. Guy could probably get there faster on his bike ;)

Alex

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:00:33 +0100, [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote:

>CTC? How far is Reading-Godawful?

A Bleeding Long Way, though Greg Woodford manages it, hence (answer to others' question) applying
for the work-from-home flavour post. But we shall see.

No chance of being able to afford to live there, being about half the salary, so work from home
looks attractive :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

Grrr ... I've just been nearly three hours without connectivity due to Demon outage. My modem was
redialling automatically throughout that time.

Time to find an ISP that isn't living on a reputation acquired ten years ago and long since
abandoned:-(

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite
monkeys
> at the keyboard of "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!
>
> Grrr ... I've just been nearly three hours without connectivity due to Demon outage. My modem was
> redialling automatically throughout that time.
>
> Time to find an ISP that isn't living on a reputation acquired ten years ago and long since
> abandoned:-(

Demon were **** 10 years ago. Set the debt collectors on me for not renewing a yearly contract.

I thought this unreasonable because:

The Initial contract was for a year and paid in advance. I had not signed or seen any contract
specifying automatic renewl. I had not used the service after my initial contract expired.

They only gave up after I wrote a recorded delivery letter but I really don't need that kind
of hassle.

So Demon = Scum

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Time to find an ISP that isn't living on a reputation acquired ten years ago and long since
> abandoned:-(

We've used Demon and BT Openwoe for ADSL and a number of other ISPs (e.g. UUNet) for leased lines.
Demon have provided consistently the most responsive customer service, and they managed to get
BT-supplied routers replaced in less than half the time of BT's own ISP arm.

--
Guy
===

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:54:59 +0000 (UTC), Frank X <[email protected]> wrote:

> Demon were **** 10 years ago. Set the debt collectors on me for not renewing a yearly contract.
>
> So Demon = Scum

Well, the Demon financial people are. In our case, set the debt collectors on us for not paying an
invoice they hadn't yet sent to us (when it eventually turned up it was dated after the action) and
which was for an account that wasn't ours anyway.

Also took over 18 months to credit us for an account that was paid in advance and cancelled
(entirely in accordance with their terms).

On another occasion we got a full set of their escalating-nastiness letters and the invoice they
referred to, all received in teh same post and postmarked the same day.

Customer services are nearly as bad (repeat after me "billings is not a customer facing
department") and there are some woeful failures in whoever devised some of tehir processes. They
also don't understand that there might be some things where I the customer know more than they the
customer services flunky - I had customer services flunky claiming teh data protection act applied
to soemthing it didn't, even as I had the act on my desk in front of me and read from it down the
phone to them.

However, if you have something that doesn't involve financials, and you manage to flummox the
'technical support' people and get to the actually technical people, I've found they know what
they're doing and either things get fixed, or you get an admission or explanation of what and why
Demon do what they do (but I still think their DNS system is broken).

Since, most of the time, our financial people deal with their financial people, and I deal with
their technical people when necesary, and I pick the ISP (pretty much), we stick with them, but they
do have their moments.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

In article <[email protected]>, Ian Smith <[email protected]> writes

>However, if you have something that doesn't involve financials, and you manage to flummox the
>'technical support' people and get to the actually technical people, I've found they know what
>they're doing and either things get fixed, or you get an admission or explanation of what and why
>Demon do what they do (but I still think their DNS system is broken).

They always seem to know more than me (though that's not saying much!). In particular, they've
always been very helpful when BT make my life hell (the contrast with BT's support staff is stunning
- ask one of their idiot drones to connect you to a supervisor, and they just punt you on to another
idiot drone). Demon have my continued loyalty, in any case.

ttfn

Martin

--
"I wanted wine, women and song. I got a drunk woman singing."

Martin Harlow [email protected]

"Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Well, the Demon financial people are. In our case, set the debt collectors on us for not paying an
> invoice they hadn't yet sent to us (when it eventually turned up it was dated after the action)
> and which was for an account that wasn't ours anyway.

BT Openwoe used to send me an email every now and then telling me their attempt to use AutoRob on my
credit card had failed, so they were suspending my account. Which, of course, locked out the email
account so I couldn't get the email telling me why my email wasn't working...

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

> They always seem to know more than me (though that's not saying much!). In particular, they've
> always been very helpful when BT make my life hell (the contrast with BT's support staff is
> stunning - ask one of their idiot drones to connect you to a supervisor, and they just punt you on
> to another idiot drone). Demon have my continued loyalty, in any case. ttfn Martin

i used to recommend nildram in my previous job - i dont deal with this sort of thing anymore but
found them to be very good for their adsl offerings