General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

With the Wind Chill...-43C Soup.

Started by Hahabogus · · Last activity · 2 posts · 383 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 January 2004
Last activity
18 January 2004
Original author
Hahabogus
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
383
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Being it is VERY cold out this morning, I figured what's the best way to stay warm? ....In a kitchen
    while the stove is on. This is a work in progress...I just thought it up (never made it before).
    Actually it is the result of Veggie Beef Soup Recipe reading. I'm still considering adding sour
    cream or not. Also this will be a test of the ground bay leaf that was in my Penzeys Order that
    arrived on Friday.

    As a true experiment, I'm going to cut the round steak into suitable size after I Saute it.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Beef Vegetable Barley Soup

    1 lb. of round steak, cut in small pieces 2 cup carrots, sliced thin 2 ribs celery with leaves
    sliced thin 1 large onion, diced
    1/2 small pkg.green beans, 1 small pkg. frozen peas 1 can diced tomatoes with juice 1 bunch brocolli
    2 potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 can corn 6-8 sliced button mushrooms
    2/4 cup barley 2 teaspoons salt i only use 1 tsp. but i don't; like salt very much
    3/2 tsp black pepper (to taste). 1 tbsp herbs de paris (sic) (penzeys) 1 teaspoon minced garlic (3
    cloves) 1 bay leaf 3 T. dried parsley
    - - or 1 tsp dried basil
    1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped 2-3 cans beef broth ...3-4 cups 1 cup red wine

    Saute the beef, till browned (reserve). Then Saute the onions till they take on some colour, deglaze
    with a cup of red wine. Add everything but the barley to the crock pot. Add water/stock to within 1
    inch of the top of the crock pot. Stir. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

    Two hours before serving (4-6 hrs), Add the barley . Continue cooking on high till barley is tender.

    ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.64 **

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  2. hahabogus <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm still considering adding sour cream or not.

    I went with 250 ml sour cream (about 1/2 a container of 'light' sour cream). It added a nice flavour
    and only slightly effected the colour, making it look like gravy was used in making the soup. I also
    cooked up the pearl barley seperately and added it near the end. The round steak idea worked well.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.