Withdrawal.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
God, I feel like I'm a heroin addict or something. Like I'm crawling out of my skin because the trails and roads are covered in snow and I can't go. Winter sucks, big time. I want to get out there and ride my Crosstrail. Like 40 miles. Think about it all of the time. Bought that Surly, don't get me wrong, it's fun, but it's a different experience. It's not flying, I fly on my Crosstrail. And to me, it's complete freedom, best damned feeling in the world, well, maybe short of sex. I think I'm a real biker now, it's all that I want.

You're a "cyclist". Me too.
Check out that computer animation story - it was posted on the forum somewhere. Guy describing what being "a cyclist" means to a co-worker.
Get yourself an indoor trainer - not the real thing, but at least those pent up endorphins can be released.

Yeah, I thought about that - "bikers" are the scary dudes on Harley Davidsons. Cyclist has so much more class. I bought a Kinetic by Kurt at REI last fall when it was on sale, but haven't even used it. Yeah, I've got the skis, and snowshoes. Fun, but still not the same.

I bought a Pugsley, it was on sale $300 off at the lbs. So, I did go out yesterday on my Specialized. Main and most side roads were clear, afternoon with mostly bright sunshine but a cold breeze. I don't like riding roads due to traffic, but our paths are not plowed in the winters, so I stayed as much as possible in a couple of large subdivisions and off the main roads. Is it really possible I got that "out of shape" in 3 weeks? It was tough, I was slogging along and managed to do a piddly 10 miles. I guess part of it was watching for traffic, I'm usually on trails and ride generally late evenings or 3-5 am, when it's quiet. But I felt tired and winded. Maybe just an off day by then, but I had an hour at the gym in the morning with a personal trainer and felt great when I left there, and I have been putting in about 6-7 hours at the gym each week over the holidays, plus trying to do an hour or so of something out in the snow each night after work, so it's not like I sat on my rear and drank Absolut 24/7 the last three weeks. March/April may be rough. I guess I do need to either set up the trainer or start using the stationary bikes at the gym to keep the cycling muscle set going - I think there is such a thing as "muscle memory" where the body "recalls" what a specific activity entails, and you lose it if you don't keep up. I should ask one of the trainers I work with, they both have exercise physiology/kinesiology degrees.

Yes I know what you mean. It is not really the same but you can get one of those trainer stands. Put the bike up on it and ride it inside. This way you can at least keep up on the exercise. Put it in front of the TV or computer if you are wanting something to look at.