Wobblebottoms progress

Fat Lad

New Member
Jan 11, 2004
Greetings! :D

I stopped smoking at the end of last year and started to balloon alarmingly so thought a bicycle may be an idea. Mid March after much deliberation I plumped for a Marin Hybrid & decided I would use it to commute to the nearest train station and to go to work.

I was concerned that 6 miles each way may be a bit of a struggle for a middle aged bloater so I decided some training runs were in order. I found the hardest thing was getting out of bed earlier than usaual, the cycling was easy, it was the single early train which was the most offputting.

The seemingly daunting 6 mile run is now too short. I am considering the next station up the line. A massive 10 miles and a £1.20p saving on ticket fare! I know I can get there but its the 'being able to cycle all the way there & back in one go because I forgot my keys' that I have to prepare for, so I'm going to do a 20 mile training run next week just to see what kind of time I'm looking at. I reckon 45 minutes each way would be a good starting point. Right now on my short journey I can maintain 20mph along the flat bits, attack the short steep hill and spin quickly up the long climb. I realise this may not be earth shattering but blubberbut is getting fitter & faster, next year I may start using the upstairs toilet!

I haven't weighed myself for sometime but will do so this weekend and I'm hoping for an improvement. Generally though, I feel a lot better healthwise and even if I do still weigh a tonne I don't care. :cool: My legs feel firmer and so does my gut. I am beginning to feel the benefits and making the most of the good weather. Tonight, I am going to try to break the 20 minute barrier, I would have done it last night if that horse hadn't been in the way.

I just figured I would post this incase someone out there in webland is thinking about starting but isn't too sure. I'm glad I'm doing it and going to work has never been so much fun.

Best bit:
Outpacing a tractor for over a mile. :)
Worst bit:
Swallowing a fly while trying to cross the A49 quickly. :mad:

=========================
Note to self: Get mudguards fitted before going through anymore cowpats.

Fat Lad <[email protected]> wrote:

: see what kind of time I'm looking at. I reckon 45 minutes
: each way would be a good starting point.

Perfectly good target to aim at for starters.

: I haven't weighed myself for sometime but will do so this
: weekend and I'm hoping for an improvement.

Don't worry if you don't weigh less yet - you'll have
replaced fat with muscle. The weight will come of in time as
things firm up.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a
philosophy out of a personality defect"

Good to hear you're enjoying the cycling....just try not to forget the keys
too often :)

Hedgehog wrote:
> Good to hear you're enjoying the cycling....just try not
> to forget the keys too often :)

Or have copies made of the critical keys and keep them
tucked away in your rucksack or whatever you use. Then if
you forget your keys you can carry on secure in the
knowledge you have your emergency set.

Tony

On 25 Jun 2004 15:34:19 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fat Lad <[email protected]> wrote:

>: I haven't weighed myself for sometime but will do so this
>: weekend and I'm hoping for an improvement.
>
>Don't worry if you don't weigh less yet - you'll have
>replaced fat with muscle. The weight will come of in time
>as things firm up.

Indeed. He'll probably start noticing the difference in the
mirror or the fit of his clothes before it shows up much on
the scales.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain

Fat Lad wrote:

< snip stuff about getting fitter and keys and 10 mile each
way and .... I should have left it all in really >

> Best bit: Outpacing a tractor for over a mile. :) Worst
> bit: Swallowing a fly while trying to cross the A49
> quickly. :mad:
>
> =========================
> Note to self: Get mudguards fitted before going through
> anymore cowpats.

On the subject of tractors, don't outpace them, enjoy the
easy ride you get when when you are following them.

On the subject of flies, think of the calories!

Feel free to have a browse round my website, I did something
similar about 3 years ago and the story is all there.

--
Terry Duckmanton.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.duckmanton A website
mostly dedicated to cycling

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:47:37 +0100, Terry D <[email protected]>
wrote:
>Fat Lad wrote:
>
>< snip stuff about getting fitter and keys and 10 mile each
>way and .... I should have left it all in really >
>

>> Best bit: Outpacing a tractor for over a mile. :) Worst
>> bit: Swallowing a fly while trying to cross the A49
>> quickly. :mad:
>>

>On the subject of tractors, don't outpace them, enjoy the
>easy ride you get when when you are following them.

Yeah, used to do that as a kid. Free ride ;0). But be
careful, with a full load on they may not be able to see you
so treat them like lorries (if you can't see them, they
can't see you). Also beware what they might have on trailers
etc even a helmet might not save you from an errant potato
or cauli rolling off the back. ;0)

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail' See his mind
here : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/ Annoy his mind here :

Dr Curious wrote:

> "Terry D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

>>On the subject of tractors, don't outpace them, enjoy the
>>easy ride you get when when you are following them.
>

> Unless they're towing a slurry tank presumably.

The one I see regularly is usually attached to either a
grass or a hedge cutting device. Fortunately the attachment
isn't working at the time or I wouldn't even attempt the
tow. Even so, I hate to think what might happen if the
tractor stopped a bit quick. I tend to hang back a bit too
far for a really good tow because of that.

Maybe I should stick to following milk floats?

--
Terry Duckmanton.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.duckmanton A website
mostly dedicated to cycling

"Terry D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dr Curious wrote:
>
> > "Terry D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >

> >>On the subject of tractors, don't outpace them, enjoy
> >>the easy ride you get when when you are following them.
> >

> > Unless they're towing a slurry tank presumably.
> >

> The one I see regularly is usually attached to either a
> grass or a hedge cutting device. Fortunately the
> attachment isn't working at the time or I wouldn't even
> attempt the tow. Even so, I hate to think what might
> happen if the tractor stopped a bit quick. I tend to hang
> back a bit too far for a really good tow because of that.
>
> Maybe I should stick to following milk floats?

Be wary of stationary milk floats, more especially in
suburban streets in the early morning. Milkmen have been
known to jump out of either side of the cab without warning.
So it may be advisable to sing or whistle. Unless you're
covered in slurry of course, and with the wind behind you.

Curious

> --
> Terry Duckmanton.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.duckmanton A website
> mostly dedicated to cycling

In message <dnkDc.141$MI2.105@newsfe6-win>, Terry D
<[email protected]> writes

>On the subject of flies, think of the calories!

How many calories, and is that per fly or per 100g? They're
quite high in fat - is it saturated or unsaturated?

Enquiring minds need to know!

--
Sue ];:))

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:15:46 GMT, Fat Lad <usenet-
[email protected]> wrote (more or less): ...
>I haven't weighed myself for sometime but will do so this
>weekend and I'm hoping for an improvement. Generally
>though, I feel a lot better healthwise and even if I do
>still weigh a tonne I don't care. :cool: My legs feel
>firmer and so does my gut.

If you're putting on muscle and losing flab, you'll be
gaining weight.

Muscle is denser than flab.

A better measure is checking your girth.

--
Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk

Sue wrote:

> In message <dnkDc.141$MI2.105@newsfe6-win>, Terry D
> <[email protected]> writes
>

>> On the subject of flies, think of the calories!
>

> How many calories, and is that per fly or per 100g?
> They're quite high in fat - is it saturated or
> unsaturated?
>
> Enquiring minds need to know!

At some 600 kilocalories per 100g according to this
particular website, (http://www.food-
insects.com/Insects%20as%20Human%20Food.htm) I think I might
spit 'em out more often. It's no wonder I can't lose weight!

--

Terry D wrote:
> At some 600 kilocalories per 100g according to this
> particular website, (http://www.food-
> insects.com/Insects%20as%20Human%20Food.htm) I think I
> might spit 'em out more often. It's no wonder I can't
> lose weight!

If you're regularly swallowing 100g of flies, can you tell
us where you're riding so that I can avoid it?

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)

Danny Colyer wrote:
> If you're regularly swallowing 100g of flies, can you tell
> us where you're riding so that I can avoid it?

An earlier post by Terry D in the same thread included:
>On the subject of tractors, don't outpace them, enjoy the
>easy ride you get when when you are following them.

To which Dr Curious replied:
>Unless they're towing a slurry tank presumably.

You may draw whatever conclusions you wish. I shall probably
keep my shut from now on.