Wobbling chainrings/spider

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Risto Varanka, May 11, 2003.

  1. I have a Shimano Nexave crankset from 1998, it only has about 6000 km on it. However, the chainrings
    developed a sidewas wobble some time ago. Cranks feel very solid with no wobble at all, and I've
    checked the chainring bolts too. Pictures:

    http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/Kuvat/bikes/nexave/

    For all I can see, the spider is connected with the crank via a toothed interface, which apparently
    has become somewhat loose, causing the wobble. Can anyone confirm this? Maybe I could take it apart
    to verify it myself... :-/

    Is it possible to fix this? Am I in for a new crankset or some other parts? :-(

  2. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    That looks like the spider was pressed onto the crankset. If it's loose, you're probably looking at
    a new crankset, and possibly a BB depending on what crankset you go with.

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer."