'wobbly' front wheel & steering

MLMercer

Nov 13, 2004
Hi guys

I've been struggling with a problem with my Hybred for a couple of weeks now - the front wheel feels really unstable and sort of wobbly, and I'm wondering if it might be the front fork suspension in need of servicing or replacing ... any other ideas what could be doing this?

I've checked for broken spokes front and back, and replaced the front wheel all together when I found a crack in the rim (face plant waiting to happen!!) but that doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem...

Also it seems the gear cables are rubbing against the handlebar stem a bit and it's making the steering a lot less smooth than I believe it should be ... is this just something that I'll have to put up with or is there a way to fix it?

Any ideas? your help would be much appreciated!

MM

Another possible wobble cause, per Sheldon Brown (R.I.P.):
"If the cones are not screwed on far enough, the bearings will have 'play': the wheel will be able to shake back and forth on its bearings. This is an unpleasant sensation, and may cause control problems."
Cone Adjustment

Your cable routing concerns are valid, and are addressed very thoroughly by Sheldon.
And no, you don't have to put up with it, and yes, you can fix it.
Cables

Thanks guys for the replies :):D

Yeh the bike shop adjusted the headset yesterday - didn't change a thing

I replaced the front wheel which had a crack in the rim - didn't change a thing (except save me from a future broken neck!)

Put on a set of wide off road tyres - made no difference to the steering/stability issues ...

Then I took it back again today and insisted on the bike doc riding it himself to 'feel' what was happening - he re-examined the headset and they ended up replacing the bearings that were very worn & corroded

Now it's fixed!! Finally after several visits to the bike doc & much $$ spent trying to fix the problem!! I am relieved - I no longer have to 'tack' around corners :)

Cant wait to ride it tomorrow :)

Thanks again for your help.