Wolfgang Puck Cookware -- How do you like it?

Kisanna

Guest
I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or the Sitram Profiserie line from
Costco. Both is of similar value and I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's line.
Any advice?

Even cooking surface? Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not? Glass Lid considerations?
Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?

Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which cookware to buy.

> I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or the Sitram Profiserie line
> from Costco. Both is of similar value and I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's
> line. Any advice?
>
> Even cooking surface? Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not? Glass Lid considerations?
> Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
>
> Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which cookware to buy.

I own some of Wolfgang's cookware (purchased from off-price Gabriel Brothers). I don't know anything
about the Costco product, but can say that I am very satisfied by the Wolfgang Puck line. It is easy
to clean and if you cook correctly, (I.e., heat the pan, add the oil, add the meat), very easy to
keep clean.

If the Costco cookware is similar in construction, I say buy price alone.

Good luck.

"Kisanna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or the Sitram Profiserie line
> from Costco. Both is of similar value and I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's
> line. Any advice?
>
> Even cooking surface? Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not? Glass Lid considerations?
> Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
>
> Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which cookware to buy.

I have the WP Bistroware from hsn.com I have used it for several year and I love it. WP was rated
best for performance, cleanablility, and finish by Consumer report - better than All-Clad. The disks
on the bottom are very heavy, making the pans heavier and thicker than most other pieces of clad
cookware. Therefore, they heat very evenly. I Don't have problems with food sticking. I always heat
the pan, add oil, then add the food. I was worried about the glass lids, but so far there haven't
been any problems. I like them from a functional standpoint. Cooks Illustrated found glass lids to
be as good a metal lids in a study several years ago, so I wouldn't worry about them. I use them in
the oven up to 400F without any problems and without the lids, I have used the cookware in the oven
up to 500F. The cookware is 18/10 stainless, so it doesn't discolor with use. What does happen, is
that a amber varnish-like coating can build-up on the cookware. This will happen to any cookware. To
restore the finish, I simply put the cookware in a plastic garbage bag, spray with heavy duty oven
cleaner, close the bag, and let it sit overnight. In the morning, the pieces rinse clean to like-new
condition. This is the method recommended by the manufacturer.

There are two negative issues often discussed with this cookware. One is theoretical and applies to
all disk bottom cookware. Since the aluminum core does not go up the sides, some people think that
scorching is more likely on the sides of this cookware as opposed to fully clad pans (tri-ply) like
All-Clad. I haven't noticed this, nor has anyone else in the endless discussions at
rec.food.equipment, but if you do a lot of very delicate sauces you should keep this in mind. The
other, and very real consideration is the handles on the WP cookware. If you have a gas range, they
will get hot. They are a tubular design that seems to act like a chimney, drawing hot air from
around the pan to the handle. It isn't a big issue, but you will have to get used to using pot
holders or mitts. If you have an electric range, then it shouldn't be an issue.

There are two lines of WP cookware. Bistroware sold at HSN.com and another line sold at Sam's Club.
They are clearly marked on the bottom and there are differences. I haven't used the cookware from
Sam's and it wasn't tested by Consumer Reports, so if you buy that line, you are on your own -- it
may be fine.

As for the Sitram at Costco, it also looks fine. I am concerned about the copper in the bottom disk.
I don't know if it is just for show or if there is enough mass to be meaningful. Both Costco and HSN
have good return polices. You might consider purchasing an inexpensive "try me" piece of WP from HSN
- something not included in one of the sets, and try it. If you like it, keep it and get a set. If
not, return it. I do recommend the sets because they are the best value and I use all the pieces in
my 21 piece set.

In article <[email protected]>,
Vox Humana <[email protected]> wrote:

> WP was rated best for performance, cleanablility, and finish by Consumer report - better than
> All-Clad.

Not exactly. The report in which Wolfgang Puck Cookware was top rated (December 2002, p. 48) was a
test primarily of mid-priced cookware. All-Clad was *not* included in that test.

--
Seth Goodman

Thanks for the review Netguy! I'll look a little more with Sitram and
hope to purchase by today. :)))

Netguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or the Sitram Profiserie line
> > from Costco. Both is of similar value and I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's
> > line. Any advice?
> >
> > Even cooking surface? Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not? Glass Lid considerations?
> > Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
> >
> > Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which cookware to buy.
> >
> I own some of Wolfgang's cookware (purchased from off-price Gabriel Brothers). I don't know
> anything about the Costco product, but can say that I am very satisfied by the Wolfgang Puck line.
> It is easy to clean and if you cook correctly, (I.e., heat the pan, add the oil, add the meat),
> very easy to keep clean.
>
> If the Costco cookware is similar in construction, I say buy price alone.
>
> Good luck.

in article [email protected], Kisanna at

> I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or the Sitram Profiserie line
> from Costco. Both is of similar value and I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's
> line. Any advice?
>
> Even cooking surface? Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not? Glass Lid considerations?
> Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
>
> Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which cookware to buy.

Here's the thing. You do realize Wolfgang Puck doesn't actually have a pot factory, right? They are
made in the same factory as some other brands of cookware. (Which ones, i do not know...) He just
lends his name for the marketing of the product.

That being said, you can rest assured a man who has spent a lot of years making a name for himself
as a chef isn't going to put his name on junk.

My first impression is, if they meet with your specifications for YOUR cooking needs, then
go for it.

It seems most people are satisfied with their WP cookware. Plus there
are so many pieces and they look quite nice from pictures. The only
other consideration is:

WP cookware has 4mm encapsulated aluminum Sitram Profiserie has 7mm encapsulated aluminum

The higer percentage of aluminum between the stainless steel should provide better
conduction, I think.

Many thanks for advice!

K.

Seth Goodman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Vox Humana <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > WP was rated best for performance, cleanablility, and finish by Consumer report - better than
> > All-Clad.
>
> Not exactly. The report in which Wolfgang Puck Cookware was top rated (December 2002, p. 48) was a
> test primarily of mid-priced cookware. All-Clad was *not* included in that test.

"Kisanna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It seems most people are satisfied with their WP cookware. Plus there are so many pieces and they
> look quite nice from pictures. The only other consideration is:
>
> WP cookware has 4mm encapsulated aluminum Sitram Profiserie has 7mm encapsulated aluminum
>
> The higer percentage of aluminum between the stainless steel should provide better conduction,
> I think.
>
> Many thanks for advice!
>
> K.

There have been many discussions of this cookware at rec.food.equipment. If you need more advice,
you might do a search on that NG on the terms "Wolfgang Puck" and "WP"

> Sheryl Rosen
>
>>Kisanna wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or the Sitram Profiserie line
>> from Costco. Both is of similar value and I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's
>> line. Any advice?
>>
>> Even cooking surface? Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not? Glass Lid considerations?
>> Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
>>
>> Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which cookware to buy.
>
>Here's the thing. You do realize Wolfgang Puck doesn't actually have a pot factory, right? They are
>made in the same factory as some other brands of cookware. (Which ones, i do not know...) He just
>lends his name for the marketing of the product.
>
>That being said, you can rest assured a man who has spent a lot of years making a name for himself
>as a chef isn't going to put his name on junk.
>
>My first impression is, if they meet with your specifications for YOUR cooking needs, then
>go for it.

All true, but the thing though is to try to find out which manufacturer produces that cookware and
then buy the product without the Celebrity Sig., it'll likely cost substantially less than the
Special Edition version.

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Sheryl Rosen
> >
> >>Kisanna wrote:
> >
> >> I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or the Sitram Profiserie line
> >> from Costco. Both is of similar value and I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang
> >> Puck's line. Any advice?
> >>
> >> Even cooking surface? Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not? Glass Lid considerations?
> >> Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
> >>
> >> Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which cookware to buy.
> >
> >Here's the thing. You do realize Wolfgang Puck doesn't actually have a pot factory, right? They
> >are made in the same factory as some other brands of cookware.
(Which
> >ones, i do not know...) He just lends his name for the marketing of the product.
> >
> >That being said, you can rest assured a man who has spent a lot of years making a name for
> >himself as a chef isn't going to put his name on junk.
> >
> >My first impression is, if they meet with your specifications for YOUR cooking needs, then go
> >for it.
>
> All true, but the thing though is to try to find out which manufacturer produces that cookware and
> then buy the product without the Celebrity
Sig.,
> it'll likely cost substantially less than the Special Edition version.

Since you can get a 16 piece set of WP cookware for $109, I doubt that you would find a generic
version for substantially less. http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1086738&web_id=108-
6738&sz=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Since you can get a 16 piece set of WP cookware for $109, I doubt that
you
> >would find a generic version for substantially less.
> >
> >http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1086738&web_id=1086738&s
> z=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=
>
> The set pictured isn't worth $39... and if someone put in the effort
they'd
> find the same set at some schlock shop for $29.

Please post a link for a site with a 16 piece cookware set (18/10 stainless with encapsulated disk
bottom) for $39. I'm always looking for a bargain.

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >you
> >> >

>http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1086738&web_id=1086738&s
> >> z=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=
> >>
> >> The set pictured isn't worth $39... and if someone put in the effort
> >they'd
> >> find the same set at some schlock shop for $29.
> >
> >Please post a link for a site with a 16 piece cookware set (18/10
stainless
> >with encapsulated disk bottom) for $39. I'm always looking for a
bargain.

> There are better sets than that Puck crapola and for less money, not with those stoopid glass
> lids, and a bunch
of
> useless tools tossed in counting as pieces.

I agree that tossing in the utensils to increase the number of pieces is sleazy. They are sturdy,
but most people probably have them. You can always give them to someone setting up a new household.
I like the lids and see nothing wrong with them. It's a matter of opinion. I am interested in your
opinion on what would be better for less money.

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >"Vox Humana" [email protected] Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking References:
> ><[email protected]>
> ><[email protected]> Lines: 36

> >I agree that tossing in the utensils to increase the number of pieces is sleazy. They are sturdy,
> >but most people probably have them. You can always give them to someone setting up a new
> >household. I like the lids
and
> >see nothing wrong with them. It's a matter of opinion. I am interested
in
> >your opinion on what would be better for less money.
>
> I posted a link to a nice 9 piece Millenium set made by Farberware, at Amazon.com for $39... you
> can find it at eopinions.com
>
> But for myself I'd not buy a set, I strongly recommend buying individual pieces... the last piece
> I bought was a few months ago from
Williams-Sonoma (I
> mentioned it here) a wonderfully voluptuous 18 quart stock pot by PIAZZA:
on
> sale at $70. What a great bargain. Was perfect timing for preparing
sauce
> from tomatoes from my garden. Any PIAZZA pot is better than any pot from anyone else.

I'll take a look at the Farberware next time I see it in a store. I agree that buying cookware by
the set may not make sense from a functional standpoint, but manufactures often price open stock
such that getting one or two pieces of open stock costs about the same as getting a set. I do use
all of the pieces that came in my set, but some get used more than others. I wouldn't have bought
the two unlined omelet pans, but when I priced the pieces I wanted, it was cheaper to get the set.
In any case, I think that good, functional cookware can be had for far less than the outrageous
prices charged for All-Clad and the increasing number of All-Clad knock-offs.

On 29 Jan 2004 16:22:44 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

>There are better sets than that Puck crapola and for less money, not with those stoopid glass lids,
>and a bunch of useless tools tossed in counting as pieces.
>
>$39...
>
>http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cookware-All-Farberware_Millennium_Stainless_
>Steel_Copper_Clad_8_Piece_Cookware_Set/display_~full_specs

The entire set is not being sold for $39. Check the small print.

$39 is the "base price" and the detail shows that for $39, you can get either a "Farberware
Millennium Stainless Copper Clad 5-Quart Saucepot with Lid -- direct from Amazon" OR a "Farberware
Millennium Stainless Copper Clad 2-Quart Double Boiler Set -- direct from Amazon"

It costs a bit more for the entire set.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cookware-All-
Farberware_Millennium_Stainless_Steel_Copper_Clad_8_Piece_Cookware_Set/display_~latest_prices

or

http://tinyurl.com/3dkez