Woman attacked on trail

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Vern, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Vern

    Vern Guest

    Woman attacked on trail TURNAGAIN: Jogger escapes after cyclist tries to grab her from behind near
    Lyn Ary Park.

    By PETER PORCO Anchorage Daily News (Published: July 1, 2003)

    A man on a mountain bike attacked a woman Monday morning on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail,
    according to the Anchorage Police Department.

    The woman was uninjured, said police spokeswoman Anita Shell. The man came up from behind and
    grabbed her but the woman screamed and broke free of his grip and he fled, Shell said.

    Police tried to find the attacker but could not.

    This was the fourth such attack in five weeks. A suspect was arrested late last week in connection
    with one attack, which occurred May 30 on the Chester Creek trail east of Westchester Lagoon.

    custody at the Cook Inlet Pre-Trial Facility. His bail has been set at $50,000.

    Police on Saturday said they are also investigating Kenworthy in connection with a May 23 attack on
    a 17-year-old girl on a bike trail

    52-year-old woman in Town Square Park.

    Two of the three victims have identified Kenworthy as the man who attacked them, police said, and
    officers are trying to find the third. Kenworthy was in jail when the latest attack occurred,
    they said.

    The incident Monday happened about 8:35 a.m., Shell said.

    The woman was jogging alone on the Coastal Trail near Lyn Ary Park in Turnagain, headed toward
    downtown, Shell said.

    "She saw a man on a park bench (along the trail) and felt uneasy about him," Shell said. The woman
    continued jogging. "Later this guy comes up (riding) behind her and grabs her."

    The woman screamed, however, and pulled free, and the man took off on his bike, Shell said.

    Police described the man was as being between 27 and 35 years old, 5 foot 7 inches tall and
    heavyset. He has curly, dark, shoulder-length hair and was wearing a blue-and-white long-sleeved
    button-up shirt, blue shorts and blue tennis shoes, Shell said.

    In each of the other three attacks, the victim was on a trail or in the park alone. Police have
    warned trail users not to be out alone unless it is necessary.

    "An attack has occurred every week for the last four weeks," Shell said. "And we have one person in
    custody, and it looks like we have another attacker out there. All is not safe in the city."

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Vern" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    >...and was wearing a blue-and-white long-sleeved button-up shirt...and blue
    tennis shoes

    Button-up shirt and tennis shoes? At least this is just a guy on a mountain bike, not a
    mountain biker.

    I hope Terri, Mike, and all the others get the difference.

    Chris

  3. Mitch Haley

    Mitch Haley Guest

    Vern wrote:
    > Anchorage Daily News (Published: July 1, 2003)

    Grabbing joggers from a bike isn't the brightest move. What happens when she spins your
    handlebars? Doing it in a state where the jogger can legally carry a gun without a permit is
    downright stupid. Mitch.

  4. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Its a bad person. Not a bad mountain bike.

    Fire up MTB 03

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Vern" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Woman attacked on trail TURNAGAIN: Jogger escapes after cyclist tries to grab her from behind near
    > Lyn Ary Park.
    >

    > By PETER PORCO Anchorage Daily News (Published: July 1, 2003)
    >
    > A man on a mountain bike attacked a woman Monday morning on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail,
    > according to the Anchorage Police Department.
    >
    > The woman was uninjured, said police spokeswoman Anita Shell. The man came up from behind and
    > grabbed her but the woman screamed and broke free of his grip and he fled, Shell said.
    >
    > Police tried to find the attacker but could not.
    >
    > This was the fourth such attack in five weeks. A suspect was arrested late last week in connection
    > with one attack, which occurred May 30 on the Chester Creek trail east of Westchester Lagoon.
    >

    > custody at the Cook Inlet Pre-Trial Facility. His bail has been set at $50,000.
    >
    > Police on Saturday said they are also investigating Kenworthy in connection with a May 23 attack
    > on a 17-year-old girl on a bike trail

    > 52-year-old woman in Town Square Park.
    >
    > Two of the three victims have identified Kenworthy as the man who attacked them, police said, and
    > officers are trying to find the third. Kenworthy was in jail when the latest attack occurred,
    > they said.
    >
    > The incident Monday happened about 8:35 a.m., Shell said.
    >
    > The woman was jogging alone on the Coastal Trail near Lyn Ary Park in Turnagain, headed toward
    > downtown, Shell said.
    >
    > "She saw a man on a park bench (along the trail) and felt uneasy about him," Shell said. The woman
    > continued jogging. "Later this guy comes up (riding) behind her and grabs her."
    >
    > The woman screamed, however, and pulled free, and the man took off on his bike, Shell said.
    >
    > Police described the man was as being between 27 and 35 years old, 5 foot 7 inches tall and
    > heavyset. He has curly, dark, shoulder-length hair and was wearing a blue-and-white long-sleeved
    > button-up shirt, blue shorts and blue tennis shoes, Shell said.
    >
    > In each of the other three attacks, the victim was on a trail or in the park alone. Police have
    > warned trail users not to be out alone unless it is necessary.
    >
    > "An attack has occurred every week for the last four weeks," Shell said. "And we have one person
    > in custody, and it looks like we have another attacker out there. All is not safe in the city."

    That settles it. Hikers really SHOULD stay off of biking trails.

    Bill "going shopping for a new Van Husen riding shirt" S.

  6. Gary S .

    Gary S . Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:34:53 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Vern" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>...and was wearing a blue-and-white long-sleeved button-up shirt...and blue
    >tennis shoes
    >>
    >Button-up shirt and tennis shoes? At least this is just a guy on a mountain bike, not a
    >mountain biker.
    >
    >I hope Terri, Mike, and all the others get the difference.
    >
    >Chris

    Doubt that last part.

    Mikey will be out soon with something about how this makes it OBVIOUS that all mountain bikers are
    criminals.

    Most of the others may be Mikey posting under other names.

    Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

  8. Martees

    Martees Guest

  9. Clyde_in_tn

    Clyde_in_tn Guest

    > A man on a mountain bike attacked a woman Monday
    > The man came up from behind and grabbed her but

    There have been a few time I've _thought_ about grabbing a handful of cute butt... I guess that is
    what seperates us civil humans from the aimals, controling our urges.

    > was wearing a blue-and-white long-sleeved button-up shirt, blue shorts and blue tennis shoes,
    > Shell said.

    Just listen to that.... He's not a moutian biker, just a thug on a bike!

  10. This is what happens if you live in places like Alaska. Come to NJ and live in total safety.

    Vern wrote:
    > Woman attacked on trail TURNAGAIN: Jogger escapes after cyclist tries to grab her from behind near
    > Lyn Ary Park.
    >

    > By PETER PORCO Anchorage Daily News (Published: July 1, 2003)
    >
    > A man on a mountain bike attacked a woman Monday morning on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail,
    > according to the Anchorage Police Department.
    >
    > The woman was uninjured, said police spokeswoman Anita Shell. The man came up from behind and
    > grabbed her but the woman screamed and broke free of his grip and he fled, Shell said.
    >
    > Police tried to find the attacker but could not.
    >
    > This was the fourth such attack in five weeks. A suspect was arrested late last week in connection
    > with one attack, which occurred May 30 on the Chester Creek trail east of Westchester Lagoon.
    >

    > custody at the Cook Inlet Pre-Trial Facility. His bail has been set at $50,000.
    >
    > Police on Saturday said they are also investigating Kenworthy in connection with a May 23 attack
    > on a 17-year-old girl on a bike trail

    > 52-year-old woman in Town Square Park.
    >
    > Two of the three victims have identified Kenworthy as the man who attacked them, police said, and
    > officers are trying to find the third. Kenworthy was in jail when the latest attack occurred,
    > they said.
    >
    > The incident Monday happened about 8:35 a.m., Shell said.
    >
    > The woman was jogging alone on the Coastal Trail near Lyn Ary Park in Turnagain, headed toward
    > downtown, Shell said.
    >
    > "She saw a man on a park bench (along the trail) and felt uneasy about him," Shell said. The woman
    > continued jogging. "Later this guy comes up (riding) behind her and grabs her."
    >
    > The woman screamed, however, and pulled free, and the man took off on his bike, Shell said.
    >
    > Police described the man was as being between 27 and 35 years old, 5 foot 7 inches tall and
    > heavyset. He has curly, dark, shoulder-length hair and was wearing a blue-and-white long-sleeved
    > button-up shirt, blue shorts and blue tennis shoes, Shell said.
    >
    > In each of the other three attacks, the victim was on a trail or in the park alone. Police have
    > warned trail users not to be out alone unless it is necessary.
    >
    > "An attack has occurred every week for the last four weeks," Shell said. "And we have one person
    > in custody, and it looks like we have another attacker out there. All is not safe in the city."

  11. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:17:55 +0000, Vern wrote:

    > Woman attacked on trail TURNAGAIN: Jogger escapes after cyclist tries to grab her from behind near
    > Lyn Ary Park.
    >

    > By PETER PORCO Anchorage Daily News (Published: July 1, 2003)
    >
    > A man on a mountain bike attacked a woman Monday morning on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail,
    > according to the Anchorage Police Department.

    Damn, the secret's out, we're all rapists. Or, are all rapists mountain bikers?

    This should be some good fuel some some anti-bike SOB, groan.

    -Bruce

  12. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    "Vern" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Woman attacked on trail TURNAGAIN: Jogger escapes after cyclist tries to grab her from behind near
    > Lyn Ary Park.
    >

    > By PETER PORCO Anchorage Daily News (Published: July 1, 2003)
    >
    > A man on a mountain bike attacked a woman Monday morning on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail,
    > according to the Anchorage Police Department.
    >
    > The woman was uninjured, said police spokeswoman Anita Shell. The man came up from behind and
    > grabbed her but the woman screamed and broke free of his grip and he fled, Shell said.
    >
    > Police tried to find the attacker but could not.
    >
    > This was the fourth such attack in five weeks. A suspect was arrested late last week in connection
    > with one attack, which occurred May 30 on the Chester Creek trail east of Westchester Lagoon.
    >

    > custody at the Cook Inlet Pre-Trial Facility. His bail has been set at $50,000.
    >
    > Police on Saturday said they are also investigating Kenworthy in connection with a May 23 attack
    > on a 17-year-old girl on a bike trail

    > 52-year-old woman in Town Square Park.
    >
    > Two of the three victims have identified Kenworthy as the man who attacked them, police said, and
    > officers are trying to find the third. Kenworthy was in jail when the latest attack occurred,
    > they said.
    >
    > The incident Monday happened about 8:35 a.m., Shell said.
    >
    > The woman was jogging alone on the Coastal Trail near Lyn Ary Park in Turnagain, headed toward
    > downtown, Shell said.
    >
    > "She saw a man on a park bench (along the trail) and felt uneasy about him," Shell said. The woman
    > continued jogging. "Later this guy comes up (riding) behind her and grabs her."
    >
    > The woman screamed, however, and pulled free, and the man took off on his bike, Shell said.
    >
    > Police described the man was as being between 27 and 35 years old, 5 foot 7 inches tall and
    > heavyset. He has curly, dark, shoulder-length hair and was wearing a blue-and-white long-sleeved
    > button-up shirt, blue shorts and blue tennis shoes, Shell said.
    >
    > In each of the other three attacks, the victim was on a trail or in the park alone. Police have
    > warned trail users not to be out alone unless it is necessary.
    >
    > "An attack has occurred every week for the last four weeks," Shell said. "And we have one person
    > in custody, and it looks like we have another attacker out there. All is not safe in the city."

    Welcome to L.A.! Los Anchorage. You can keep it, I'll stay here in Juneau.

    Ken Juneau, AK

  13. Kslater

    Kslater Guest

    Sounds like the local Rif-Raf we have around here. No self respecting rider rides with a button up
    shirt. LOL

  14. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    "Clyde_in_TN" wrote:

    > There have been a few time I've _thought_ about grabbing a handful of cute butt... I guess that is
    > what seperates us civil humans from the aimals, controling our urges.

    It's best for all parties involved to first get to know the person to whom the cute butt
    belongs to. ;)

    Jon

  15. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:50:28 GMT, Brian Sniatkowski <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >This is what happens if you live in places like Alaska. Come to NJ and live in total safety.

    Ha!

    I ride that trail all the time though, it's just a few bad apples that tend to make the local news.
    Unfortunately it's been in the news a few times recently, since it's by far the highest traffic
    trail in the area (it's paved, long and scenic).

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  16. Gary S .

    Gary S . Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 23:19:07 -0700, "Jon Danniken" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Clyde_in_TN" wrote:
    >>
    >> There have been a few time I've _thought_ about grabbing a handful of cute butt... I guess that
    >> is what seperates us civil humans from the aimals, controling our urges.
    >
    >It's best for all parties involved to first get to know the person to whom the cute butt
    >belongs to. ;)

    Not just knowing them, but having permission for said butt grabbing.

    Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

  17. Ken -Lsqny)

    Ken -Lsqny) Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:17:55 GMT, Vern <[email protected]> ranted:

    >Jogger escapes after cyclist tries to grab her from behind near Lyn Ary Park.

    Does Vandeman have an alibi? Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department
    ____________________________________
    email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

    "[Saddam Hussein]cannot be permitted to go unobserved and unimpeded toward his horrific objective of
    amassing a stockpile of weapons of mass destruction..." -Senator John Kerry, D-Mass 1997

    Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
    R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

  18. Ken -Lsqny)

    Ken -Lsqny) Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:33:10 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> ranted:

    >> "An attack has occurred every week for the last four weeks," Shell said. "And we have one person
    >> in custody, and it looks like we have another attacker out there. All is not safe in the city."
    >
    >That settles it. Hikers really SHOULD stay off of biking trails.

    There we go again. That's like telling a man not to carry his wallet because he might
    get mugged.

    Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department
    ____________________________________
    email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

    "[Saddam Hussein]cannot be permitted to go unobserved and unimpeded toward his horrific objective of
    amassing a stockpile of weapons of mass destruction..." -Senator John Kerry, D-Mass 1997

    Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
    R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

  19. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

  20. Kslater