Woman Specific Road Bikes

Deadlast01

Jul 9, 2006
I am helping a female friend of mine find a moderately priced road bike. She and I are the exact same height: 5'8", but her inseam is 33" and mine is 31.5". I have heard that generally, women have loner legs and shorter torsos than men.

So, does that mean she needs a WSD? I heard that changing the stem and saddle might be all that you need.

What do the women riders say?

Thanks.

Deadlast01 said:
I am helping a female friend of mine find a moderately priced road bike. She and I are the exact same height: 5'8", but her inseam is 33" and mine is 31.5". I have heard that generally, women have loner legs and shorter torsos than men.

So, does that mean she needs a WSD? I heard that changing the stem and saddle might be all that you need.

What do the women riders say?

Thanks.
I just got a Trek 1500 (not the WSD) and I am only 5'4. I got messured at my LBS and they said exactly what you said, just change the stem and saddle if you need to. They also said that I have broad shoulders so I might feel restricted with the WSD bars. Hope this helps!

shrubby32 said:
I just got a Trek 1500 (not the WSD) and I am only 5'4. I got messured at my LBS and they said exactly what you said, just change the stem and saddle if you need to. They also said that I have broad shoulders so I might feel restricted with the WSD bars. Hope this helps!
I'm sure that some women might be able to get by with a standard frame and swapping some components...some might be more comfortable with a WSD. Been a bit since I worked in a shop but doesn't Specialized do a WSD? I know I had a few customers that really thought it was a big difference. Worth looking at anyway. I'd also try to find a shop that has a clue when it comes to bike fit and does more than just stand back and look at you from different angles and drop a plumb line.

The big difference between men and womens road bikes, in the trek line at least, is that the womens bikes have a shorter stem, narrower bars, different seat, and come in sizes that men's treks don't come in. Oh and of course they're different colors.

Any decent shop will be able to make a women comfortable on a mens frame just by swapping a few things out. WSD is just there to say "hey check it out it's made special for you!" More or less a sales tool.

I would recomend riding a WSD bike and judging for yourself. Specialized have a "Ruby" model which is women specific. There's also the SUB range from Sarah Ulmer and Avanti which is entirely women specific. Trek WSD, Giant are releasing a WSD range...it's becoming pretty common. I think Riverfever is right in saying that some women would just prefer to ride something that they feel is designed specifically for their body, but from what I've read, a standard frame with some component adjustment woudl be fine. Short stem, longer seatpost, shorter cranks, move brakes closer to hands etc etc.

Giant make WSD's here is their website links:

http://www.giantforwomen.com/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.500.asp

TCR_Comp_w_orange20copy.jpg

TCR_w_Megenta20copy.jpg