Women & Cycling Apparel

LaikaComeHome

Apr 7, 2015
Why do you think apparel manufacturers think there is not enough demand for women's cycling products? After all, one half of adult US cyclists are women. I just dont understand the lack of selection. any thoughts?

Reactions: Clairelouise84
I tend to view cycling products as unisex. For example, the range of saddles in my local bike shop are endless. They come in all sizes and colors to fit any taste. The same goes with pedals and every imaginable bike accessory. I can't really think of anything in regards to bicycles that won't suit both sexes. Even in the clothing section I always find exactly what I need.

I totally get that, whenever I have been into bike stores the majority of the selection is for men and it seems to dominate most of the store, whilst there is a women's "section" I don't want it pink with flowers on or anything but there should be a little more choice than there currently is. I am short and very big chested so finding a comfortable cycling outfit is proving really hard!

I'd have to agree with Dora M in that many cycling accessories and apparel are more unisex than tailored to a single gender. A lot of these items can be worn by men and women alike without any differences. There are wide selections of most apparel items, so I'd have to say that the average woman can find plenty of apparel options that suit their fancy for cycling.

I have not seen much for women either, but I haven't really looked. I alway wear streets et clothes since I ride almost exclusively for transportation. Other than wanting specifically feminine colors, I don't think there would be much difference between men's and women's cycling apparel.

I have not seen much for women either, but I haven't really looked. I alway wear streets et clothes since I ride almost exclusively for transportation. Other than wanting specifically feminine colors, I don't think there would be much difference between men's and women's cycling apparel.

I believe there is little demand for this type of clothing because women don't know where to go to voice their opinion about this subject. Women's cycling isn't as big as WNBA or Volleyball. So if manufacture's feel there isn't a demand they will just throw anything together and call it a day. Unfair, yes, but true. Also I believe that another reason for this is because there isn't a manufacturer that has a spokesperson for Women's cycling. I believe if these two situations were in the forefront there would be a lot more juicy options for us.

Thank you,
Eileen100