Women cyclists have it MADE!

Feanor

Jul 21, 2003
Ok, I have to air out this pet peeve I've had for a bit... and this issue was amplified by a biking partner I've had for several months now.

Quite a while back I met a young lady on the road while I was just starting into road cycling, I wrote a small bit about it on this site as the first meeting had a rather humorous twist. Since then, She and her husband and Me and my wife have ridden together quite a bit. mostly as a foursome and a few times in club rides with many other riders.

Recently, she and I have gone out on the road together as a pair for rides on the weekend mainly because my wife works insane hours and her husband is inundated with home projects.

She's probably the nicest woman I've ever met, and I would daresay that I would modify that to her being the nicest PERSON I have ever met... The catch? She's stunningly beautiful!

When we ride, she ties her red hair back in a ponytail and I kid you not, traffic slows to a CRAWL while we're riding. I feel so safe! Much more so than when I am riding solo and have cars whizzing by my left leg in reckless abandon.

At stop lights every male driven car making a turn or otherwise rolls down a window and says hello to us. Why do they simply sneer at me when I am riding alone? :p

And over this Easter Weekend was the final straw! About 6 miles from home she flatted a rear and we both coasted to a stop and swung up onto the sidewalk in someone's driveway to assess the situation. within SECONDS a pickup with two guys and their mountainbikes in back pull up and offer their "assistance", to top that off, the man of the house who's driveway we are sitting in comes out and offers to help as well!!!

So there I am, feeling like chopped liver and these guys find the leak, patch it pump her tire back up and even give her a co2 inflator for free! Imagine a scene where I'm in the back hopping up and down trying to look over everyone from the back while saying "I can't see! I can't see!" it was almost like that!

She was very courteous and endless in her thank you's and after the flat was repaired they chatted endlessly... Finally she turns to me and says 'We better get home now" and all other male eyes turn to me as if I am suddenly the Anti-Christ.

In a flash, we're back on the road and from behind, I'm yelling up to her that she's nothing but a tease... and I think I even made an inquiry as to why it was that she always wore the skimpy tank tops for out on the road, but the frumpy t-shirts while on the rollers at home?!

*laughing* She then calls me a d&*#head, and I reply that she's a bike-bunny... and to that she suddenly slows, smilingly whacks me on the arm as I pass her, then calls out from behind "You don't ever get to ride behind me now!"

Damn... I would have felt worse about that except it was my Bontrager rear wheel (that I had lent her) that the group had repaired!

Don't get me wrong, she's the nicest person in the world, and I think the greatest part of her beauty is she doesn't even know she's beautiful :) I suppose I should shut-up and feel lucky that she's a good friend and leave it at that :)

Feanor

Just watch out none of those male drivers run over you while they're distracted by her looks :)

I noticed that I can ride much better chasing or riding in a hot bike chicks stream. Hence my screen name. I love attractive woman....too bad they are so expensive!

Originally posted by Feanor
Ok, I have to air out this pet peeve...[snip]...She's probably the nicest woman I've ever met, and I would daresay that I would modify that to her being the nicest PERSON I have ever met... The catch? She's stunningly beautiful!

Feanor

Your wife is gonna mash your balls if she reads this ;)

Whoa whoa! Now you all have to realize that I'm not making any moves here! In addition, my Wife comments more on how beautiful she is more than I do! I only started to feel comfortable mentioning it after she did so often :)

Plus, they're the nicest people... And I can assure all who read this that I am waaaay past the basic male oogling stage (took about 2 months) and onto the fact that she, and they are the funnest people to be with. The husband is a Monty Python fan as well (totally seems out of character when you meet him initially) so we have so very amusing dialog while we're riding whilst his wife and mine are staring at each other quizzically with the "Why is that funny?" look on their faces :)

Also, I know that conversation, especially when trying to tick off a good cadence, is not advisable for good performance, but when he does his Phil Liggett, I HAVE to drop into my Paul Sherwen... "And the bigger man is put into difficulty as he desperately tries to find the wheel again..." "It appears that the pedals are now being turned in anger as he blazes down the finishing straight like a grahn-pree motoh-cahhr!"

:p

Feanor

Feanor - how good to see you back. Beginning to wonder if you'd gone totally AWOL...

Let's look at this from the opposite end. Say every time you went riding, you were stared at and accosted by women. But, most of them were ugly, overweight, had bad breath, hadn't shaved their face for a few days, and needed to. If you were nice to them, they'd keep coming back, and if you weren't, they'd beat you up (or worse).

Attention is nice, until it's unwanted. There are times that I regret the passing of my brash youth. And then there are times that I find middle aged anonymity to be a blessing.

All the same, I still remember last summer, crapped out on the side of a road along my favorite circuit, and an attractive young lady stopped to see if I needed any help. "you got an extra set of legs with you? These have had it"

*sigh*

JohnO!

I'm still here :) but more importantly, I'm still cycling... With that and the fencing and work the last few months have been pretty insane, but I still checked back often to cyclingforums, though it was more as a lurker, because there is always good information flowing here.

I totally agree with your view about the reversal, and its often a mental tool I use also to get the full perspective on what may otherwise ocassionally be a "blindered" perception.

The wife and I and she and her husband are really the best of friends now though I can understand how my original post had the undercurrent of innuendo and suggestion, but it really isn't like that (though I would be lying if I didn't at least admit some subconcious level of lasciviousness at the very beginning)

The suggestive banter goes on back and forth between all of us, but its definitely for laughs only and alot of fun besides... Its hard to deal with friends that you have to repress ideas with or watch every word.

The best part is we have the most fun when we're all out on the road together on our bikes :) That really is the most important thing all around :)

Have a good one!

Feanor

Anyone else notice that girls/women get SOFT handicaps?
So many times I start behind woman who can kick my ****.
I remember when I was a youngster riding A grade on the track. We rode in a all in race and this woman who had been riding mid B grade all season handed me my **** on a plate. She was a world points champion and they kept giving her b grade all season......
BTW Feanor, when your wife says another woman is beutiful, she is probably trying to find out if you fancy her... Deny it (ie Really havnt noticed hun...), be cheesy (ie not as beutiful as you dear...) or at worst be indiferant (ie, if you say so dear...) to agree she is beuitiful is to take your life in your own hands....(mabey im biased, my wife is the jealous type with a mean left hook)

Ooooh, Feanor, you're dipping your toes into some mighty treacherous waters, there, although you deny it... If I were your wife (or her husband) I would definitely be furious -- isn't your WIFE the nicest person you ever met?

I can't throw any stones here, I not only put my toes in the water a few years back, I actually leaped into Niagara Falls... and I'm now happily married to, er, that other person I started doing fun things with instead of doing them with my husband (ex). Caution! Slippery slope. Swift currents. Danger. Sirens. Buzzers. Flashing lights. Turn back, Buck Rogers, before it's too late. Sounds to me from your first post like you've already been bit, fella.

Other than that, ya, we ladies do have it great. i just had a super ride going to work in PAris (weather is in-credible)... I was dressed nice, a skirt, no stockings, jean jacket, pony tail. I had no problem in traffic. Cars didn't bother to pass me, they patiently chugged along behind. Support and cheering abounded, coming from unknown (male) bystanders as I rode by. A "bonjour" here and a "bonjour" there, "Bonjour, bonjour" everywhere.

I almost feel tempted to start a thread called "I'm too sexy for my bike".

Sara ;-)

Cycling is not the only place people get overly helpful.
Imagine the seen....a car has pulled over to the side of the road with a puncture, a lady is standing there crying regardless of how beautiful......people would generally stop and help. Now imagine the same scene with a bloke standing there crying....how pathetic would you think that guy is for standing there crying whilst the wheel needs changing.
Same scenario, different sex, results radically different.

awww... I ain't been on here for a while but I sure wish I had some nice guys to help me when I get into trouble on my bike, I still haven't recovered from when some guys in a convertible drove the same speed as me then very close so the guy in the back could grab my butt!!!

chuckle chuckle chuckle (can't help it).

my mom it was who taught me how to change a flat:

first pull over,
then open the hood,
then stand by the car and smile.

(yikes!)

even though i do everything on my own bike and would never let some know-it-all dude on the trail/road touch it, i did recommend to my friend that she need not worry about having her saddle pouch well-stocked for biking around the Washington D.C. area because if she had a flat, several people would stop by to help her. (yikes again!)

but i would totally help a guy out too, so it goes both ways.

I want to watch this space ... read the return of the "bobbits" or maybe mmmmm the obituaries in the local! Your wife is not agreeing with you necessarily that your riding partner is beautiful - we women are extremely cleaver in our ways. To find out information we are seeking we often we reverse it to "appear" quite innocent as if we don't worry about things .. then as the bloke said above "we bust your balls". I think there is more than "like" there - ouchi! Yep, I would bust your balls and probably run over you a few times! Some things should not be said .. nice knowing you!

Ooops forgot - has anybody read "Thumb tacks and red necks" for the poor lady there - not all good for women!

Call me cynical Feanor - but you're a fool for posting this thread.

Sounds to me like you fancy this woman - and you've let the world know it by posting here.
And even if you deny that you don't fancy her - if your wife reads this thread, she might conclude that you do actually fancy this woman.

Bad move - you should have kept this to yourself, amigo !

Ok, followup!

I have to admit, even though I've been married for 12 years I can still be completely clueless about the nuances of married life...

Since I first posted, my riding partner and her husband have been over for dinner... Having read all the warnings and advice in the thread, and knowing in my own heart that my wife IS the only one for me. I tried to refrain from the normal innuendos and such both prompted and unprompted...

No breaking off for private conversations on the deck no matter how innocent, no overly flattering praise, and the lion's share of attention went to my wife... In fact, she was just about the center of attention for the evening for the three of us, which was actually very nice for me anyway. I don;t think I've heard her as "chatty" for a long time.

After they had gone and we were doing the dishes she said almost unconciously "She's so pretty..." and at once, all the messages of this thread came bounding back into my head!

My reply was, "there are other things besides being pretty... its not the end all... of course being pretty inside AND out is the ultimate... that's why I married you after all..."

and Hey! I got a kiss for that! and the best part was it was even the truth! Sometimes I get lucky I suppose...

She asked if we were all going biking this weekend, and it suddenly hit me like ton of bricks! What if she felt self concious because she thought people were comparing her to our friend? and that's why she's been opting out of the rides for quite a while?

I told her I wouldn't go unless she was going, I'm not sure about what she was thinking, but from her body language I think she approved of that happily...

of course it all turned around when I started talking about building a new bike from a Pinarello frame, but hey... one step at a time huh? *laughing* Important things first :)

Thanks all for all your insights!

Feanor