Women in SF

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by TritonRider, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    Going through the start list I've realised that I have NO clue who's going to
    take this.
    Safi-Pasta Zara Manhattan
    Bib #1 - COOKE Nicole (GBR)
    Bib #2 - ZILUTE Diana (LTU)

    T-Mobile Pro Cycling Team
    Bib #11 - ANDERSON Kim (USA)
    Bib #12 - ARMSTRONG Kristen (USA)
    Bib #13 - BARRY DeDe (USA)

    Team Quark
    Bib #31 - BESSETTE Lyne (CAN)
    Bib #33 - MOORE Amy (USA)
    Bib #35 - JUTRAS Manon (CAN)

    Genesis Scuba FFCC
    Bib #51 - PALMER-KOMAR Susan (CAN)
    Bib #52 - MAYOLO-PIC Tina (USA)
    Bib #53 - VANGILDER Laura (USA)

    Velo Bella
    Bib #99 - SHIWADA Hiroko (JPN)
    She could surprise.

    Webcor Builders
    Bib #111 - THORBURN Christine (USA)

    Palo Alto Bicycles
    Bib #151 - JACKSON Linda (CAN)

    Wines of Washington
    Bib #161 - WELDON Suz (USA)
    Suz is looking strong coming in.

    I do think it's going to be one hell of a race.
    http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=6971
    Bill C

    Tags:

  2. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    > Going through the start list I've realised that I have NO clue who's going

    > take this.
    > Safi-Pasta Zara Manhattan
    > Bib #1 - COOKE Nicole (GBR)
    > Bib #2 - ZILUTE Diana (LTU)
    >
    > T-Mobile Pro Cycling Team
    > Bib #11 - ANDERSON Kim (USA)
    > Bib #12 - ARMSTRONG Kristen (USA)
    > Bib #13 - BARRY DeDe (USA)
    >
    > Team Quark
    > Bib #31 - BESSETTE Lyne (CAN)
    > Bib #33 - MOORE Amy (USA)
    > Bib #35 - JUTRAS Manon (CAN)
    >
    > Genesis Scuba FFCC
    > Bib #51 - PALMER-KOMAR Susan (CAN)
    > Bib #52 - MAYOLO-PIC Tina (USA)
    > Bib #53 - VANGILDER Laura (USA)
    >
    > Velo Bella
    > Bib #99 - SHIWADA Hiroko (JPN)
    > She could surprise.
    >
    > Webcor Builders
    > Bib #111 - THORBURN Christine (USA)
    >
    > Palo Alto Bicycles
    > Bib #151 - JACKSON Linda (CAN)
    >
    > Wines of Washington
    > Bib #161 - WELDON Suz (USA)
    > Suz is looking strong coming in.
    >
    > I do think it's going to be one hell of a race.
    > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=6971
    > Bill C

    Let the chips fall where they may. The only one that I really think will be
    in the top three for sure is Cooke. I have too many other favorites to
    squeeze into the top three to speculate. I like Lynn G and B, but I hope
    Armstrong makes top three. Dede too. I like Dede, she did a good TT at the
    games.

  3. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: John Forrest Tomlinson [email protected]
    >Date: 9/10/2004 7:31 PM Eastern

    >>Velo Bella
    >>Bib #99 - SHIWADA Hiroko (JPN)

    >I think it's Shimada. Agile and tough in any case.
    >
    >JT

    No Question that she's one hell of a racer. This is going to be fun.
    I really wanted to congratulate Suz and talk with her at the GMSR crit, but
    she was a bit busy, as were we with the Canadian Jr coaches trying to injure
    each other.
    Bill C

  4. On 10 Sep 2004 23:10:26 GMT, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

    >Velo Bella
    >Bib #99 - SHIWADA Hiroko (JPN)

    I think it's Shimada. Agile and tough in any case.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    http://www.pbase.com/sdukes/image/31977437

    > >JT

    > No Question that she's one hell of a racer. This is going to be fun.
    > I really wanted to congratulate Suz and talk with her at the GMSR crit,

    but
    > she was a bit busy, as were we with the Canadian Jr coaches trying to

    injure
    > each other.
    > Bill C

  6. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "emory32" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > What about this?
    > Victory Brewing Cycling Team
    > 29 Rasa Polikeviciute (Ltu)
    > 30 Jolanta Polikeviciute (Ltu)

    Yup, I'd like to met them, but after hearing about how many fans are
    predicted to turn out for the event in the dense congested space there in
    SF, I opted out again this year as I am in the middle of a project anyway. I
    wish they would hold it over by the cliff house, mega tons of space there by
    the beach, tons of free parking space. We got into this last year but I'll
    leave that to the powers that be. More then likely even a loop through
    Golden Gate Park wouldn't provide enough climbing to rip the legs off the
    girls.

    > At least they're not going to be at the Carolina Cup. Maybe I'll
    > manage to score some NRC points this season after all... that is if my
    > damn neck holds up - stupid spine, getting all out of joint and causing
    > me pain. I wish it would behave itself because it really is hard to
    > ride a bike when you can't hold your head up. Maybe I'll have to get
    > me one of them recumbent thingies... or not. NOT.
    >

    > --
    > emory32

  7. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    emory32 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What about this?
    > Victory Brewing Cycling Team
    > 29 Rasa Polikeviciute (Ltu)
    > 30 Jolanta Polikeviciute (Ltu)

    I think it's interesting that the pro women frequently do races on teams
    other than their own "normal" ones. I lost track of how many different
    teams Emma James talked about riding for last year in her diary.

    > At least they're not going to be at the Carolina Cup. Maybe I'll
    > manage to score some NRC points this season after all... that is if my
    > damn neck holds up - stupid spine, getting all out of joint and causing
    > me pain. I wish it would behave itself because it really is hard to
    > ride a bike when you can't hold your head up.

    A good chiropractor can really help that. Speaking from experience. (I
    do realize that you may have already tried this, but still...)

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
    Albert Einstein

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  8. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

    > Going through the start list I've realised that I have NO clue who's going to
    > take this.
    > Safi-Pasta Zara Manhattan
    > Bib #1 - COOKE Nicole (GBR)
    > Bib #2 - ZILUTE Diana (LTU)
    >
    > T-Mobile Pro Cycling Team
    > Bib #11 - ANDERSON Kim (USA)
    > Bib #12 - ARMSTRONG Kristen (USA)
    > Bib #13 - BARRY DeDe (USA)
    >
    > Team Quark
    > Bib #31 - BESSETTE Lyne (CAN)
    > Bib #33 - MOORE Amy (USA)
    > Bib #35 - JUTRAS Manon (CAN)
    >
    > Genesis Scuba FFCC
    > Bib #51 - PALMER-KOMAR Susan (CAN)
    > Bib #52 - MAYOLO-PIC Tina (USA)
    > Bib #53 - VANGILDER Laura (USA)
    >
    > Velo Bella
    > Bib #99 - SHIWADA Hiroko (JPN)
    > She could surprise.
    >
    > Webcor Builders
    > Bib #111 - THORBURN Christine (USA)
    >
    > Palo Alto Bicycles
    > Bib #151 - JACKSON Linda (CAN)
    >
    > Wines of Washington
    > Bib #161 - WELDON Suz (USA)
    > Suz is looking strong coming in.
    >
    > I do think it's going to be one hell of a race.
    > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=6971
    > Bill C

    Add in the twins (as mentioned in another post by 'emory', see below),
    and you do have the ingredients for a very good race. I still lean toward N
    Cooke winning again.

    > Victory Brewing Cycling Team
    > 29 Rasa Polikeviciute (Ltu)
    > 30 Jolanta Polikeviciute (Ltu)

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
    Albert Einstein

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  9. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: Howard Kveck [email protected]

    > Victory Brewing Cycling Team
    >> 29 Rasa Polikeviciute (Ltu)
    >> 30 Jolanta Polikeviciute (Ltu)

    >--
    > tanx,
    > Howard

    Yeah I missed them, and there are a few others I didn't include that I think
    could be big players if it goes right..
    Bill C

  10. pedalchick

    pedalchick New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Just for the record, I forgot to log my hubby out and log myself back in - I posted that thing about the neck - and I did see a quackeypractor, but it didn't do much good. Massage, ice, Vioxx - still hurts. A master's world champ we have around here had the same thing last year - I'm going to see a ortho next week and if he doesn't help, I"ll go to this dude's chiro.
    pc

  11. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just for the record, I forgot to log my hubby out and log myself back
    > in - I posted that thing about the neck - and I did see a
    > quackeypractor, but it didn't do much good. Massage, ice, Vioxx -
    > still hurts. A master's world champ we have around here had the same
    > thing last year - I'm going to see a ortho next week and if he doesn't
    > help, I"ll go to this dude's chiro.
    > pc

    I will admit that chiropractors can be somewhat hit or miss in making
    adjustments (on the other hand "real" doctors can be just as bad: I went to
    a doc to seee about some knee pain and he vigorously twisted my lower leg
    side to side a few times and I ended up limping out of there). I twisted my
    knee at work a couple months ago and it felt fine at the time, but when I
    went to climb some stairs or ride it was fairly painful. I was at the chiro
    a few days later and he did some tweaks which made me feel much better
    -then-, but the next day on the bike was even more painful than before. I
    went back and he did a couple different tests, said, "Oh, I guess I missed
    that entire muscle group", did a some more tweaking and I was much better.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
    Albert Einstein

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  12. h squared

    h squared Guest

    pedalchick wrote:

    > I posted that thing about the neck - and I did see a
    > quackeypractor, but it didn't do much good. Massage, ice, Vioxx -
    > still hurts. A master's world champ we have around here had the same
    > thing last year - I'm going to see a ortho next week and if he doesn't
    > help, I"ll go to this dude's chiro.
    > pc

    i screwed up my neck once- constant pain and couldn't turn my head at
    all, couldn't support any weight with my left arm. (i took a lot of
    ibu.during the day and "tylenol pm" at nite to help me sleep, else i
    didn't sleep, and i wore a cervical collar to support my giant head)

    anyhow, i hope you get some relief. normally i don't like to take
    anything that could screw up my liver, but that time i didn't care if
    the pills killed me as long as the pain stopped. are you sure you should
    race/ride when your neck is injured? (read this in your favorite
    interfering relative's voice)

    heather

  13. pedalchick

    pedalchick New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Yeah, I really worry about taking drugs like Vioxx - one of my teammates is an who's an ortho said I need to take it every day for 14 days for it to have an effect. That's serious crap, I'm afraid to take Tylenol. I don't take any meds - it's crazy what people will ingest on the advice of their docs. A teammate of mine was taking like 5 serious Rx's at once. Nuts.
    Anyhow, I blame my neck problems on job stress, riding my track bike and years of banging my head at clubs and rocking out in my band. I used to seriously come home with whiplash from being such a bad ass rocker. Ahh, but those glory days have been replaced with possible cervical myelosomething or other or maybe osteoartritis or some crap. I'm getting old.
    But at least I'm not fat.

    Yet. I've been perfecting my chocolate chip cookie recipies lately, and if I can't ride I might just start to suffer from it.

  14. "pedalchick" <[email protected]>

    > Yeah, I really worry about taking drugs like Vioxx - one of my teammates
    > is an who's an ortho said I need to take it every day for 14 days for it
    > to have an effect. That's serious crap, I'm afraid to take Tylenol. I
    > don't take any meds - it's crazy what people will ingest on the advice
    > of their docs. A teammate of mine was taking like 5 serious Rx's at
    > once. Nuts.

    I've often thought the same thing, but if you consider the daily fistfuls of
    vitamins that health nuts (for lack of a better term) and prescription drugs
    the sick and elderly consume, intuitively you'd think the liver is a pretty
    hardy organ.

  15. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:

    > "pedalchick" <[email protected]>
    > >
    > > Yeah, I really worry about taking drugs like Vioxx - one of my teammates
    > > is an who's an ortho said I need to take it every day for 14 days for it
    > > to have an effect. That's serious crap, I'm afraid to take Tylenol. I
    > > don't take any meds - it's crazy what people will ingest on the advice
    > > of their docs. A teammate of mine was taking like 5 serious Rx's at
    > > once. Nuts.

    > I've often thought the same thing, but if you consider the daily fistfuls of
    > vitamins that health nuts (for lack of a better term) and prescription drugs
    > the sick and elderly consume, intuitively you'd think the liver is a pretty
    > hardy organ.

    yer probably right, but specifically on tylenol, 20 years ago, the
    remedy for liver damage (or prevention of) by tylenol od was the most
    disgusting tasting thing in the world that i know of yet. so even if
    it's rare, it's not something i want to take. then there's this kind of thing-
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/000929.html

    i'd rather drink than take pills if i have to choose one,
    heather

  16. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]

    > Yeah, I really worry about taking drugs like Vioxx - one of my teammates
    > is an who's an ortho said I need to take it every day for 14 days for it
    > to have an effect. That's serious crap, I'm afraid to take Tylenol. I
    > don't take any meds - it's crazy what people will ingest on the advice
    > of their docs. A teammate of mine was taking like 5 serious Rx's at
    > once. Nuts.
    > Anyhow, I blame my neck problems on job stress, riding my track bike
    > and years of banging my head at clubs and rocking out in my band. I
    > used to seriously come home with whiplash from being such a bad ass
    > rocker. Ahh, but those glory days have been replaced with possible
    > cervical myelosomething or other or maybe osteoartritis or some crap.
    > I'm getting old.
    > But at least I'm not fat.
    >
    > Yet. I've been perfecting my chocolate chip cookie recipies lately, and
    > if I can't ride I might just start to suffer from it.
    >

    > --
    > pedalchick

    My doctor said that the liver can become tolerate to drugs, and really take
    a beating. Lush Limbaugh was taking what? about 60-70 Oxycontin a day. That
    just boggles the mind that his liver could tolerate that. I have a friend
    who hurt his back big time and he takes 8 to 10 norcos a day, for almost 10
    years now since he started at several a day. He takes Milkthistle, garlic
    and other things to offset toxic effects. Tests indicate his liver is still
    doing well. Tylenol, that's funny a bit, I don't worry much about that, I
    take aspirin and sometimes painkillers when my back goes out, or double
    strength excedrin for migranes which are rare for me.

  17. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyhow, I blame my neck problems on job stress, riding my track bike
    > and years of banging my head at clubs and rocking out in my band. I
    > used to seriously come home with whiplash from being such a bad ass
    > rocker. Ahh, but those glory days have been replaced with possible
    > cervical myelosomething or other or maybe osteoartritis or some crap.

    Angus Young style, or maybe Chuck Biscuits?

    > I'm getting old.
    > But at least I'm not fat.
    >
    > Yet. I've been perfecting my chocolate chip cookie recipies lately, and
    > if I can't ride I might just start to suffer from it.

    Made with real butter, I hope. Cuz it's better with butter.

    --

  18. On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:58:36 GMT, Howard Kveck wrote:
    > Cuz it's better with butter.

    Brando agrees.

  19. Suz

    Suz Guest

    > Going through the start list I've realised that I have NO clue who's going
    > take this.
    > Safi-Pasta Zara Manhattan
    > Bib #1 - COOKE Nicole (GBR)
    > Bib #2 - ZILUTE Diana (LTU)
    >
    > T-Mobile Pro Cycling Team
    > Bib #11 - ANDERSON Kim (USA)
    > Bib #12 - ARMSTRONG Kristen (USA)
    > Bib #13 - BARRY DeDe (USA)
    >
    > Team Quark
    > Bib #31 - BESSETTE Lyne (CAN)
    > Bib #33 - MOORE Amy (USA)
    > Bib #35 - JUTRAS Manon (CAN)
    >
    > Genesis Scuba FFCC
    > Bib #51 - PALMER-KOMAR Susan (CAN)
    > Bib #52 - MAYOLO-PIC Tina (USA)
    > Bib #53 - VANGILDER Laura (USA)
    >
    > Velo Bella
    > Bib #99 - SHIWADA Hiroko (JPN)
    > She could surprise.
    >
    > Webcor Builders
    > Bib #111 - THORBURN Christine (USA)
    >
    > Palo Alto Bicycles
    > Bib #151 - JACKSON Linda (CAN)
    >
    > Wines of Washington
    > Bib #161 - WELDON Suz (USA)
    > Suz is looking strong coming in.

    Ha! Yer so funny. Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think so. (Not
    Hiroko either. She can climb, but doesn't have the power.) I did entertain
    the fantasy of going off the front and nobody chasing b/c they don't think I
    can pull it off. But alas, no one was letting me go anywhere. Only tried
    once, but that was enough.

    Actually, I had very modest goals for this race. It just about killed me
    last year, and I was rather dreading it these past couple weeks, since I am
    waaaay past my peak for the season. Power climbing is not my forte. Last
    year, I was OTB before the end of the first long lap, and dropped out near
    the end of lap 2 with a splitting headache. This year, I just wanted to go
    1 more lap. So they go and make us do one more lap than last year, where's
    the love. I never imagined I would feel so much stronger this year until
    our training ride on the course saturday. It suddenly seemed do-able. But
    I still just raced with the sole objective of just finishing in mind,
    meaning pacing myself on the climbs instead of attacking them aggressively-
    I was afraid of blowing myself if I did that. I guess I wish I had been
    more aggressive now, but I'm pretty happy with simply finishing, (just a few
    seconds off the main pack) since more than half didn't finish at all.

    Thanks to all who came out early to cheer for us, it really helped us to
    push through the pain!

    Suz

  20. Suz

    Suz Guest

    > >From: John Forrest Tomlinson [email protected]
    >>Date: 9/10/2004 7:31 PM Eastern

    >>>Velo Bella
    >>>Bib #99 - SHIWADA Hiroko (JPN)

    >>I think it's Shimada. Agile and tough in any case.
    >>
    >>JT

    > No Question that she's one hell of a racer. This is going to be fun.
    > I really wanted to congratulate Suz and talk with her at the GMSR crit,
    > but
    > she was a bit busy, as were we with the Canadian Jr coaches trying to
    > injure
    > each other.
    > Bill C

    Aww dang, I wish you would have, since I don't know what you look like.
    Maybe next year.