Women- Just let em ride with the Juniors?

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by Aranesp, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Aranesp

Aranesp New Member

Whenever you wanna arrange a national series race where I live, you gotta arrange all categories, including women. You also have to hand out prices and price money for all categories. The only thing which you can skip, is handing out national medallions if there ain't enough contestants. Fair enuff.

Okay, now here is my lil rant. We let the women race with the juniors, as there usually ain't a lot of women on the starting line. But they are ranked in their own category, as well as given out price money in their own category. This is what just seems outright preposterous to me. See, the best female XC riders are on par with the best juniors. Now, the women elite get more price money than the Junior guys, and they almost get it for free as the competition sux in comparison to the guys.

The 3rd placed chick will get a nice price, although she rides on par with, say the 12 placed junior dude. Man, that just ain't fair! I have read post by women bragging that they are training 400+ hours annualy. Incredible, huh? Wonder where that would take you if you were a junior man.. hmm... around 15th, if you have talent? Add to the argument that women in general increase their form faster than boys, measured in hours trained/ week and what comes out is an unfair amount of attention directed towards these girls.

I say, let the chicks simply compete against the juniors. Would be a lot more fair, and we could hand out less price money.

Tags:

2. bikelet

bikelet New Member

There isn't any prize money where i come from. Women are not juniors. Many might not be as fast as some juniors but we are working on being as fast as we can be. And that does not mean that there arnt many who are faster than juniors. But that isnt the point. It's like comparing oranges to apples. They're not the same thing and i think it's immature of you to bring this up in this forum as you're obviously just stirring and are a man.

3. cheapie

cheapie New Member

fixed ;)

4. 11ring

11ring New Member

If it is so easy to make big winnings as a woman then why do so few women race. Point is do you want more women or less racing? When the numbers are equal then you can whinge about unfair treatment for the poor men.

5. Aranesp

Aranesp New Member

Few women race because women in general are lazy when it comes to sports, and mtb is a minor sport with little media attention and little $$.

Do I want more women or less racing? Duh, don't care.

Unfair treatment is still unfair treatment, regardless of how many women are racing. If you wanna be treated like some f¤#"%& privileged princesses, go enter a beauty pageant or something, or stfu and start working and don't demand special treatment.

But, hey, it's not like you are gonna pay attention to this anyway. If it is scepticism or critisism it must be a "male chauvinist pig" behind it, right.. [​IMG]

6. asterope

asterope New Member

Few women race because women in general are lazy when it comes to sports
    no no no no no... see, we arent LAZY when it comes to sports, its just that we dont have that crazy horomone called testosterone running around in great quantities in our bodies, which means that we arent as interested in dick-measuring competitions, punching eachother in the face or competing against anyone.
    trust me, when a woman is interested in sport and competing, shes doing it for reasons completely alien to you my weeny friend.

If you wanna be treated like some f¤#"%& privileged princesses, go enter a beauty pageant or something, or stfu and start working and don't demand special treatment. well, you do realise that if MTB racing, or cycling in general, wasnt such a male dominated sport, and women were actively encouraged to take it up by their male counterparts, then this problem wouldnt exist now would it? so why dont you stop whining, go out and get some females that you know to take up MTB, and then watch as we completely whoop your arse on the endurance races.

But, hey, it's not like you are gonna pay attention to this anyway. If it is scepticism or critisism it must be a "male chauvinist pig" behind it, right..
    dude, if youve been burned by a woman, dont come running to the womens forums and take out all your pent up frustrations and self-inflicted chemical imbalances here, because 1) we arent your mummy, so dont expect sympathy and hugs, 2) its mostly self-delusional ramblings and 3) i dont think most men would have the same problem that you seem to have... infact, most of them really LIKE the fact that there are women competing in any way that they can in MTB, and actively encourage it in any way that they can.

my $0.02, flamage is optional.

7. Sarah23

Sarah23 New Member

[insert round of applause]

Took up cycling because it was a family sport, one where men and women could get out together and have a good time together. I love cheering on the women. Especially as you watch them keep up with males (who have genetic advantages). There are more then enough male-dominated sports out there that fully exclude women, or at least make them take so much of a back seat that they might as well be excluded....not the sort of ideals I want my children taking part in.

I think the original poster has mistaken the great sport of cycling for something more like football....that is the sport you go to if the only thing you want your females doing is serving pies from the food van, and dancing naked at the end-of-year (wives-not-invited) parties.

8. Sarah23

Sarah23 New Member

N.B. We are priviliged princesses. Bite me.

9. bikelet

bikelet New Member

So true! One of the things i loved about competitive cycling was how supportive the guys were, even if you couldn't keep up with them. Cycling should always be social as well competitive

10. cheapie

cheapie New Member

you're not invited because you won't dance naked! :p

11. ausgirl

ausgirl New Member

You seem more like a silly little cry baby than anything else. Seniors get better money regardless of gender and that's just the way things work. Live with it or race the big boys in an attempt to get better money - racing with them will prove whether you're a boy or a man, and from the way you're acting on this forum, you are a little BOY!

12. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

He's obviously a moron, not only is his spelling poor (it's prize, not price), he's probably upset because ladies beat him. I don't think he represents most male opinions (at least males who aren't stuck in the dark ages), and my feeling is he's just trolling.

Ric

13. existence

existence New Member

Hey I resent that lol!! My mum served pies in the canteen AND she was the one who got me into footy when I was like 6 years old!! [​IMG]

Having played football and now taken up cycling there is NOTHING better than the fact that in this sport women fully participate and often kick arse too!!

14. elsievo

elsievo New Member

The whole idea of offering prize money was, I thought, to attract more participants. So why, isn't there a Junior Women's set of categories offered also. I would think you might attract more women that way and get them involved so eventually you would have more elite women racers.

As a side, I participate in races to support the trails, the sport of cycling and for the conversations between gasps of air I can have with the others at the back of the pack.

Marc
    www.greatdeerchase.org