Women riding alone- is that THAT unusual??

I've encountered many solo female riders over the last half dozen years on my daily rides. There
seems to be more single (solo riders) females on the road now than when I started riding in 1986.

I guess it's the cool thing to do here in the SoBay area (Palos Verdes,CA.)

--

Tp

-------- __o ----- -\<. ------ __o --- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\<. ----------------- ( ) / ( )

Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

Marlene Blanshay wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Marlene Blanshay wrote:

>>> I've gotten better. I've been practicing taking off cyclo cross tires, once you can do those it
>>> seems easier. Actually taking them off is easier than putting them on sometimes.
>>
>> Here's a cheap trick. Armourall (tm) in a small spray bottle sprayed on the wheel rim, insides
>> and sidewalls of the tire will make it much easier to mount your tire on the rim. Also, the tire
>> will slip into the proper position on the rim as you inflate. The process of changing a tube will
>> become easier. It's a slick trick, really. Best regards, Bernie in Beautiful British Columbia
>
> Good idea! I'm always up for handy tips.

The trick that my local LBS taught me works almost all the time so I don't even need tire levers for
gettin most of my tires on or off. Sometimes to get them off but never to get them back on. This of
course takes a little more muscle but the trick doesn't. TIP: Before taking your tire of massage the
empty tire all the way around so that both sides of the tire slips into the very middle of the rim.
the deeper your rim is the easier it will be to get the tire off without much force at all.

When putting the tire back on do the same thing. Ie make sure the tire goes into the very middle of
the rim and the last part kinda just slips on real easy. If you do this right and then use tire
levers you will need absolutely no muscle at all. Also if you massage the whole tire again from both
sides before you start pumping you will find it easier to get the tire seated in the rim ( not that
it's usually a problem). Make sure you push the valve as far up into the tire as possible when
massaging the tire around the valve.

--
Perre

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:blanshay-1908032051520001 @192.168.1.3:
> > I go on a lot of rides alone, and today another woman cyclist I know (who is a great athlete and
> > does triathlons and wins them- she is from another species really) commented on how cool it is
> > that I ride alone
>
> Here in California, I see many women riding alone, both on the road and on mountain bikes.
> However, I do know some women who won't ride alone because they cannot fix a flat tire. Some of
> them have a physical limitation: they aren't strong (or heavy) enough to put enough air in a road
> tire to get them home with out pinch flatting.

The real issue is not putting enough air in the tire. The real issue is having sufficient hand
strength to get the tire over the *&^%$#@ rim. I can put 80 lbs of pressure with my little mini-pump
-- not the 110 I'd like, but that's enough to ride home on. But getting the tire over the rim is a
real struggle, even with a set of tire "irons".

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

On 26 Aug 2003 12:53:36 -0700, Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:blanshay- 1908032051520001 @192.168.1.3:
>> > I go on a lot of rides alone, and today another woman cyclist I know
>> (who
>> > is a great athlete and does triathlons and wins them-she is from
>> another
>> > species really) commented on how cool it is that I ride alone
>>
>> Here in California, I see many women riding alone, both on the road and on mountain bikes.
>> However, I do know some women who won't ride alone because they cannot fix a flat tire. Some of
>> them have a physical limitation: they aren't strong (or heavy) enough to put enough air in a road
>> tire to get them home with out pinch flatting.
>
> The real issue is not putting enough air in the tire. The real issue is having sufficient hand
> strength to get the tire over the *&^%$#@ rim. I can put 80 lbs of pressure with my little
> mini-pump -- not the 110 I'd like, but that's enough to ride home on. But getting the tire over
> the rim is a real struggle, even with a set of tire "irons".
>
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
>
> Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Yeah, I have a set of rims that are terrible. I broke some tire levers using these rims. I feel your
pain. However, I found some tire levers that were stronger, and these helped. Also, I use three of
them -- two to pop part of the tire off the rim and another to do any further modifications. Plus,
only pull one side of the tire off the rim. Normally, I take the tire completely off. With these
rims, though, it's too hard. So I only pop half the tire off and put the new tube in there, then pop
the half of the tire back on.

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

Claire Petersky wrote:
> Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:blanshay-1908032051520001 @192.168.1.3:
>>> I go on a lot of rides alone, and today another woman cyclist I know (who is a great athlete and
>>> does triathlons and wins them- she is from another species really) commented on how cool it is
>>> that I ride alone
>>
>> Here in California, I see many women riding alone, both on the road and on mountain bikes.
>> However, I do know some women who won't ride alone because they cannot fix a flat tire. Some of
>> them have a physical limitation: they aren't strong (or heavy) enough to put enough air in a road
>> tire to get them home with out pinch flatting.
>
> The real issue is not putting enough air in the tire. The real issue is having sufficient hand
> strength to get the tire over the *&^%$#@ rim. I can put 80 lbs of pressure with my little
> mini-pump -- not the 110 I'd like, but that's enough to ride home on. But getting the tire over
> the rim is a real struggle, even with a set of tire "irons".
>
> Warm Regards,

See my post right above yours about how to make it easier to pop the tire off the rim. It
really works.

--
Perre

[email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I don't worry about that- most of the time I'm on a bike, what weirdo can catch me?

Yeah, but...for example, one time I had a meeting after work, and so I was riding home fairly late,
on a less familiar route, and there were few cars on the road. I was going under a freeway
overpass, and it was pretty dark and scary under there. The shoulder I was on suddenly wasn't a
shoulder, it became gravel, and then I had the vision of falling off the bike and injuring myself.
Yeah, you can call on the cell phone for help, but while you're waiting for help to arrive, you
might have an injured bike, an injured self, and I dk about you, but I don't run that fast in a
pair of roadie shoes.

So sure, it's stuff I think about. It's obviously not enough to discourage me, but there's plenty of
women that it would discourage. You know you'd be blamed for anything that be befell you. ("She
should have known better than to be riding her bike there at night!") And lots of women would just
rather not take the risk.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Claire Petersky) writes:

> The real issue is not putting enough air in the tire. The real issue is having sufficient hand
> strength to get the tire over the *&^%$#@ rim.

Give me a lever and a place to stand, and I'll wrap a 26x1.5 Cheng Shin over Planet Earth.

I've got these humungous screwdrivers from my late dad. At least one of 'em was used to screw down
engine heads on Model T's or some other obsolescent fossil-burning **** that had to be shifted into
reverse to cross the Rocky Mountains. I've got the screw-jack c/w tire-iron handle, too.

But you don't need a bunch of fancy junk. Just something that'll slip under tire & inner tube, come
out on the other side of the rim, pull out, and let you air up the tire without hurting the
material. It might be some blunt, unused thing in your cutlery drawer.

The main thing is, it should be thin enough to slip under stuff, it shouldn't bend easily, and it
shouldn't be brittle. If it
is ... try something else.

cheers, Tom