Women-specific chamois: why so much upper-butt padding?

creepingchamois

Oct 5, 2021
I know this question sounds dumb, but I can't seem to grasp why in all my cycling shorts/bibs, the chamois extends way up the backside, but is super thin in the area I need it most: where the seat bones actually are!!! I am totally baffled why so many manufacturers seems to think my upper but-cheeks need so much coverage.

Why is this? Furthermore, why is there so much padding at my pubic bone which isn't even weight bearing? I really don't understand it. I've found this extra pubic bone padding can actually create more contact with the saddle, only making things worse. Sometimes this padding goes waaay too far up as well. Just why?

Okay, whew, had to vent some frustration there.

Does anyone know a brand that makes sensible chamois for women? I think it would be amazing to have a minimalist 2-spot padded chamois at the seat bones and nothing else. Am I crazy?

Terry makes women specific shorts. Nice padding according to my wife. But she has some junk in the trunk so she appreciates the high rise back.

I do believe their quality in the lycra material has slipped a bit being thinner than past years.

But built for the comfort of a woman cyclist. She's more of a 50-100 mile cyclist, not a racer.

Never heard her complain about the chamois being uncomfortable in the wrong places or padding too high in the back.

But then again she needs it because she's got the big ass.

20220823_073345.jpg