womens bike colours... do women really want pink?

keeko

Oct 30, 2009
Hi!

Im a graphic designer an i am working on some graphics for some new womens bikes. (mountain bikes)

my question is what colour bike would you like!

please answer my poll!

Thanks a lot for your help,

Kira

Can I be a little difficult and say 'all of the above'? :D:D:D

Um, it kind of depends on the bike too, some do look better in 'unisex' colors (whatever those are) than pastels.

I like having choices more than anything else. If I want a hot pink bike then I sure want the option of getting a high quality one.

I did vote in your poll though, I suppose if forced to pick bikes in nominally gender-neutral colors but with a hint of a more girly scheme. Black + Pink is sweeeet:cool:

I will NEVER buy a pink bike, one with flowers, other STUPID things they put on women's bikes that would be "suitable" for a small child. ( But then I wouldn't get one of these stereotype reinforcing things for my daughter either.) as soon as I see tha I do not look at buying them.

Women are interested in cool, just likethe guys. I want classy, sleek, and techno looking (silver, hand brushed titanium, black, white --(BTW, neutral stuff that goes with any clothing...after all its a lot more interesting to play with your clothing colors and a lot less permanent!) or deep brilliant colors (like bright red).

These are what they give guys, cool stuff not cutesy stuff...just like commercial clothes, women's suck and men's are classic and durable. (Not that I want any of the stupid things they put on boys bikes either like graphics of flames).

Every woman I've ever bike shopped with has felt the same way and avoided those cutesy bikes.

This concept of woman-specific bicycle graphics is awful. Does every sport STILL have to be dumbed down and made acceptable for females (as opposed to WOMEN),

Why would any thinking woman spend a boat load of money on something so cutesy that looks like it was made for a 6-yr old?

Whew, thanks for letting me get that out!

I just ordered a new bike in black and red. Personally I want a color that will still be in style a few years from now and something not totally feminine.

as a guy I love seeing a women on one of 3 choices...
a white bike with red accents
black with white and yellow
black and red

Gee, guy crashing the women's cycling forum, could you please tell us what misfiring electron in your arrogant little pea brain makes you think we actually give a hoot what you like to see women ride? .

lunamander said:
Gee, guy crashing the women's cycling forum, could you please tell us what misfiring electron in your arrogant little pea brain makes you think we actually give a hoot what you like to see women ride? .

well ms. lunamander....this isnt a "womens cycling forum" this is a public world wide forum. This is a "category" where woman have the option to come together and discuss cycling, but not off limits to men. I gave an opinion...so what? you got a lot of lip coming from a member who only has 5 posts. Anything else you would like to say?

Reactions: gotsalukis
I hate pink because my mother forced me to have EVERYTHING pink when I was a kid. But, some women seem to like it.
Why can't bike manufacturers make bikes in wider choices of colors? Back in the early 80s, you could get most reasonable quality bikes in several different rich colors. Now it all seems to be boring black/white/silver/beige, with the odd blue one here and there.
I'm partial to "screaming scarlet", myself. I also like deep, saturated jewel tones.

lunamander said:
I will NEVER buy a pink bike, one with flowers, other STUPID things they put on women's bikes that would be "suitable" for a small child. ( But then I wouldn't get one of these stereotype reinforcing things for my daughter either.) as soon as I see tha I do not look at buying them.

Women are interested in cool, just likethe guys. I want classy, sleek, and techno looking (silver, hand brushed titanium, black, white --(BTW, neutral stuff that goes with any clothing...after all its a lot more interesting to play with your clothing colors and a lot less permanent!) or deep brilliant colors (like bright red).

These are what they give guys, cool stuff not cutesy stuff...just like commercial clothes, women's suck and men's are classic and durable. (Not that I want any of the stupid things they put on boys bikes either like graphics of flames).

Every woman I've ever bike shopped with has felt the same way and avoided those cutesy bikes.

This concept of woman-specific bicycle graphics is awful. Does every sport STILL have to be dumbed down and made acceptable for females (as opposed to WOMEN),

Why would any thinking woman spend a boat load of money on something so cutesy that looks like it was made for a 6-yr old?

Whew, thanks for letting me get that out!

I completely agree!!!

I chose a hint of Femininity. If I am buying a womens bike I want it to look like a woman's bike not like a little girls bike. I bought a Womens Giant Alias 09 model in black, white and a red which wasn't red red but more of a pink red. The 2010 model is white, black and pink. They are both acceptable levels of feminine.

I like pink and I have many thinks that are just pink but I feel I may be taken more seriously with a bike that looked like a bike and not like it came out of a salon or spa. If the only comment it get is 'that is so pink' then it is not good.

I'm a woman, let my bike be a part of it!

I enjoy feminine clothing, adore purple\light blue colors and have turned down great bikes on sale because they were black. :cool:

going for the more not-so-little-girl look but the sophisticated red\metal purple etc. can be great.

and for me, please add some flowers & butterflies
they look great.

I love pink, it is my fave colour. However, my bike is white with purple and green splashes of colour. (Has the 'air brushed' look. No I don't mean the type that media uses. lol)

I have a neon pink cycling jersey, though I'm not sure I'd go for a bright pink bike. It would be great to have more options for vivid colors for women's bicycles as opposed to muted pastels. I love bright colors (like bright lime green as some of the Dodge Chargers have come in) especially when sharing the road with cars... anything to stand out and be more visible!

I'm going to have to agree with the other women here who dislike pink or girly bikes. As a racer I want my bike to reflect my commitment to the sport. It's hard to be taken seriously with flowers and butterflies on your bike. In my opinion, if you're going to have a pink bike then the same standards apply to men as they do to women: you better be FAST.

I do NOT like the girly girl colors as I call them (no offense to anyone that likes those colors, just my opinion lol). The darker the better for me. However, I also like the bright racing yellow color - which I found in my very first road bike I just bought a couple weeks ago - the Giant Rapid 3.

endurancemom said:
I do NOT like the girly girl colors as I call them (no offense to anyone that likes those colors, just my opinion lol). The darker the better for me. However, I also like the bright racing yellow color - which I found in my very first road bike I just bought a couple weeks ago - the Giant Rapid 3.
you dont ...will have to bring you back to the factory ......:D