Womens Bike vs Mens

caligirl2

Nov 4, 2006
Hi There:

I am relatively new to cycling on a regular basis. 3 months now and I average about 70 miles a week on a paved bike trail.

Currently looking for a Hybrid bike, specifically the Trek 7200.

Do most women opt for the mens version or the womens? Hope this question does not sound dumb. ;)

Thanks for your input!

What George said. Go for what fits - it may be a women's bike, but equally you may find a men's bike works better for you.

FWIW, I ride a men's frame (and I'm a girl :) )

Woman of the same height as a man generally have different lenghts in arms, legs and torso, usually have narrower shoulders, smaller hands and wider bums. WSB's cater for these differences by having a shorter top tube, wider seat, narrower handlebars etc etc.

However, we all have slightly different body shapes, so its a case of getting the right bike for you. Some girls and boys need a hybrid of parts between the boys parts and the girls parts, so it becomes a matter of getting the bike that fits best and changing some of the parts to get the best fit.

Okay, Thanks everyone for your input, based on the fact that I am a petite 5'2', I may have to opt for the WSB.

Happy riding!;)

caligirl2 said:
Okay, Thanks everyone for your input, based on the fact that I am a petite 5'2', I may have to opt for the WSB.

Happy riding!;)
Don't worry about whether is branded a girley or a boyley bike, just get the one that fits best. Odds on its the WSB with the shorter top tube, as petite 5'2ers usually have arms that only reach your hips, but thats for your decide.

caligirl2 said:

Happy riding!;)
It is not just height, but body proportion. If you have a long torso and short legs and arms, usually you would be more comfortable on a men's bike. If you have a short torso and long legs and arms,usually you would be more comfortable on a women's bike. Two of my (adult) daughters ride men's bikes, and my wife and my other daughter ride women's bikes. Try both and see what feels best to you.

BTW - as mentioned before, the difference in most women's and men's bikes are in the frame geometry - specifically the ratio of the stand-over height to effective top tube length. Although there are still a few bikes made with step-through frames, that feature is slowly disappearing and is no longer the main determinant as to whether it is a woman's bike or a man's bike.