womens bike

photo

Apr 26, 2004
Hello everyone,

I'm new to group cycling and have been riding a hybrid. I want to get more into the long distance group rides. I live in texas and rode in the MS-150 from Houston to Austin a couple of weeks ago on my Hybrid and relized I did alot more work than all the people on the true road bikes. I also relized my bike didn't fit me as well as I thought it did. I have been on the research every since please help if you can.

I have narrowed my new bike down to a bianchi donna eros wsd, (women specific design) or a cannondale r500 wsd, or maybe a giant ocr 1 not wsd. I'm really leaning toward the bianchi just because I like the way it feels but don't know much about the Campagnolo components. Everyone else has shimano including the bike I'm on now. If any of you have any info or ride one of these bikes I would appreciate any help.

I'm a pretty small 5'2" and my handlebars on my hybrid are to far away is why I started looking at wsd.

Please help me I want to buy a bike that will last a long time.

Photo

A friend of mine rides the bianchi eros and loves it. Another woman I ride with also has the bianchi eros and loves the bike-she has upgraded components as they wear out she loves the ride so much.

Re: campy v. shimano: both have their lower end and higher end stuff. With campy-I believe it is (from lowest to high end) xenon, mirage, veloce, centure(sp?), chorus and record. From centur on up you are looking at "race ready". Veloce is good stuff too, my friends bianchi donna eros has that groupo, I believe. I have heard good things from various riders about veloce/mirage mix.

Shimano: sora, tiagra, 105, ultegra, dura ace. 105 and above is "race ready." I have heard negative things about sora and tiagra from various riders.

"Race ready" just means that they can withstand a lot of riding. Part of the reason you see more shimano on road bikes is because it tends to be cheaper in price compared to campognolo.

The bottom line: If the bianchi feels right and you are enjoying the ride-then that is the bike for you. The campy components are worth it and the bianchi is a bike you can upgrade over the years.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search. Go with the ride that feels right (and has been properly fitted by a reputable lbs!).

A friend of mine is looking at a Bianchi Donna 51cm, she is 5'5", and it will be a perfect fit.

The frame design is more traditional than the giant and the bike is better finished and more appropriate for a lady rider with its lady specific components.

Good luck
George

Thanks so much for your info and help. It is so hard to know which sales people to trust they are all trying to sale their bike and talk you out of the one they don't sale:).

Gina

Originally posted by photo
Thanks so much for your info and help. It is so hard to know which sales people to trust they are all trying to sale their bike and talk you out of the one they don't sale:).

Gina

Very True!

I worked at a bike shop part-time and I have witnessed this over and over! Both as a consumer and an employee. I have been "spoken to" as an employee because I was not willing to "toe the line." Story for another day....

I have learned to buy what is comfortable to me and fits me properly, after all, I am the one riding the bike! Let me know how it works out for you.

I bought a TREK 1500 after looking at a few different brands: Bianchi, Felt, Cannondale, Lightspeed........ok...so the lightspeed was just for fun as it was totally out of my price range!

I made an appt. with the owner of the bike shop and spent about an hour going over the different brands of bikes he recommended for women as beginners. His feeling on the subject was, "I've never heard anyone say I wish I'd bought "less" bike" so we chose carefully with the future riding in mind. The TREK just fit me perfectly. I didn't get a wsd; I am 5'5" and was able to fit on a 52 cm men's frame. I haven't regretted purchasing this bike for a day. I knew I had one shot at it and wanted to get the right one. I don't have the money (can't justify to the family budget to buy another one in a year or so!) so I bought the bike I wanted from the beginning.

That was my experience with the bike shop. OH....I asked everyone around who rides which shop they'd recommend and overwhelmingly it was the one I bought from. He has been nothing but patient and helpful to me.

Just my experience!
Kim in TN

We'll I didn't get it until today. I finally made a decision and got the Bianchi. Y went into the bike shop and they set up a few different ones and went out and rode them. I liked the feel of it better than the others I had riden. Thanks for all of your help on the subject. I'm ready to roll now:):)

Congrats! I am glad to hear you chose the bike most comfortable for you!

Tracy