women's concern about runnung

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe Salva, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Joe Salva

    Joe Salva Guest

    I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
    yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
    has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
    She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at 4.0 - 4.6 mph
    walking with no incline. When I asked her why she doesn't
    run she answered that she was concerned about about adding
    inches to her thighs. I'm looking for some expert opinion
    on this because I don't know how trust worthy her source
    for this info is.

    BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.

    Thanks, Joe

    Tags:

  2. OK, the Mayor of Creepy Town has chimed in.

  3. In article <[email protected]t>, Joe Salva wrote:
    > I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
    > yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
    > has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
    > She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at 4.0 - 4.6 mph
    > walking with no incline. When I asked her why she doesn't
    > run she answered that she was concerned about about adding
    > inches to her thighs. I'm looking for some expert opinion
    > on this because I don't know how trust worthy her source
    > for this info is.
    >
    > BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.

    Take a look at some pictures of elite distance runners some
    time. You're not going to get huge thighs from running.

    http://www.nyrrc.org/nyrrc/org/04martrialsw.html

    If she believes these women are two fat/bulky, she probably
    has some sort of body image disorder, and should see a
    psychiatrist.

    Even if she were to gain lean mass on her legs, at worst,
    she might end up with shapely legs like a fitness model. But
    even that requires serious weight training for most people
    (especially women)

    Cheers,

  4. Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem Guest

    Joe Salva wrote:

    > I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
    > yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
    > has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
    > She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at
    > 4. - 4.6 mph walking with no incline. When I asked her why
    > she doesn't run she answered that she was concerned
    > about about adding inches to her thighs. I'm looking
    > for some expert opinion on this because I don't know
    > how trust worthy her source for this info is.
    >
    > BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks, Joe

    Running will thin out her thighs and make them stronger. The
    only way she'll get bigger thighs from running is if she
    does nothing but hill sprints.

    --
    Brian Wakem

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Joe Salva <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
    >yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
    >has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
    >She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at 4.0 - 4.6 mph
    >walking with no incline. When I asked her why she doesn't
    >run she answered that she was concerned about about adding
    >inches to her thighs. I'm looking for some expert opinion
    >on this because I don't know how trust worthy her source
    >for this info is.
    >
    >BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.

    At 5'6", 118, I'd be surprised if she had much. That's
    pretty light.

    I run with some women who ran competitively in college,
    and are now around your daughter's age. If running put
    inches on their thighs, they were strictly stick figures
    before running. They're slender ladies.

    To add inches by athletic activity requires that you be
    doing muscle- builing (hypertrophy) activity. Distance
    running is not very good at all for that. (See also lead
    women runners at the distance races of your choice.)
    Sprinting can be, but only to a point.

    In terms of her running, no apparent reason not to. In
    terms of her exercising, no reason not to continue the
    walking she obviously likes and does regularly.

    --
    Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and
    amateur activities notes and links. Sagredo (Galileo

  6. On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:16:43 GMT, "Joe Salva" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
    >yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
    >has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
    >She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at 4.0 - 4.6 mph
    >walking with no incline. When I asked her why she doesn't
    >run she answered that she was concerned about about adding
    >inches to her thighs.

    If running does anything to increase the mass of her thighs,
    it will only be added muscle, which probably won't happen
    unless she sprints a lot. To that, I can only say so what -
    far better to have a bit of extra lean mass on the thighs
    than to have excess cellulite everywhere, or worse - a big
    bulging gut and pencil thin legs.

    > I'm looking for some expert opinion on this because I
    > don't know how trust worthy her source for this info is.
    >
    >BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.
    >
    >Thanks, Joe

  7. Alise

    Alise Guest

    "Brian Wakem" wrote

    > Running will thin out her thighs and make them stronger.
    > The only way she'll get bigger thighs from running is if
    > she does nothing but hill sprints.

    I always get big thighs from running, not that I mind them.
    The peak thigh mass came when I ran my first marathon last
    October. I haven't run much since, but I try to every once
    in a while so my legs don't get too skinny and so I don't
    lose my overall conditioning.

    I didn't do much hill running. Could the big thighs indicate
    that I am using improper form when I run? I run about a 8:30-
    10:30 min/mile pace, depending on the distance.

  8. Grandepatzer

    Grandepatzer Guest

    "Alise" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Brian Wakem" wrote
    > >
    > > Running will thin out her thighs and make them stronger.
    > > The only way she'll get bigger thighs from running is if
    > > she does nothing but hill sprints.
    > >

    > I always get big thighs from running, not that I mind
    > them. The peak thigh mass came when I ran my first
    > marathon last October. I haven't run much since, but I try
    > to every once in a while so my legs don't get too skinny
    > and so I don't lose my overall conditioning.
    >
    > I didn't do much hill running. Could the big thighs
    > indicate that I am using improper form when I run? I run
    > about a 8:30-10:30 min/mile pace, depending on the
    > distance.

    This indicates one or more of several things:
    1) Water retention in the quads.
    2) Too much jogging.
    3) Excessive cellulite consumption.