women's concern about runnung

Joe Salva

Guest
I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at 4.0 - 4.6 mph
walking with no incline. When I asked her why she doesn't
run she answered that she was concerned about about adding
inches to her thighs. I'm looking for some expert opinion
on this because I don't know how trust worthy her source
for this info is.

BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.

Thanks, Joe

In article <[email protected]>, Joe Salva wrote:
> I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
> yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
> has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
> She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at 4.0 - 4.6 mph
> walking with no incline. When I asked her why she doesn't
> run she answered that she was concerned about about adding
> inches to her thighs. I'm looking for some expert opinion
> on this because I don't know how trust worthy her source
> for this info is.
>
> BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.

Take a look at some pictures of elite distance runners some
time. You're not going to get huge thighs from running.

http://www.nyrrc.org/nyrrc/org/04martrialsw.html

If she believes these women are two fat/bulky, she probably
has some sort of body image disorder, and should see a
psychiatrist.

Even if she were to gain lean mass on her legs, at worst,
she might end up with shapely legs like a fitness model. But
even that requires serious weight training for most people
(especially women)

Cheers,

Joe Salva wrote:

> I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
> yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
> has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
> She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at
> 4. - 4.6 mph walking with no incline. When I asked her why
> she doesn't run she answered that she was concerned
> about about adding inches to her thighs. I'm looking
> for some expert opinion on this because I don't know
> how trust worthy her source for this info is.
>
> BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.
>
> Thanks, Joe

Running will thin out her thighs and make them stronger. The
only way she'll get bigger thighs from running is if she
does nothing but hill sprints.

--
Brian Wakem

In article <[email protected]>,
Joe Salva <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
>yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
>has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
>She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at 4.0 - 4.6 mph
>walking with no incline. When I asked her why she doesn't
>run she answered that she was concerned about about adding
>inches to her thighs. I'm looking for some expert opinion
>on this because I don't know how trust worthy her source
>for this info is.
>
>BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.

At 5'6", 118, I'd be surprised if she had much. That's
pretty light.

I run with some women who ran competitively in college,
and are now around your daughter's age. If running put
inches on their thighs, they were strictly stick figures
before running. They're slender ladies.

To add inches by athletic activity requires that you be
doing muscle- builing (hypertrophy) activity. Distance
running is not very good at all for that. (See also lead
women runners at the distance races of your choice.)
Sprinting can be, but only to a point.

In terms of her running, no apparent reason not to. In
terms of her exercising, no reason not to continue the
walking she obviously likes and does regularly.

--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and
amateur activities notes and links. Sagredo (Galileo

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:16:43 GMT, "Joe Salva" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm making this post on behalf of my daughter who is 25
>yrs. old, 5' 6" 118 pounds and has no health issues. She
>has been working out on a treadmill for over a year now.
>She does anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes at 4.0 - 4.6 mph
>walking with no incline. When I asked her why she doesn't
>run she answered that she was concerned about about adding
>inches to her thighs.

If running does anything to increase the mass of her thighs,
it will only be added muscle, which probably won't happen
unless she sprints a lot. To that, I can only say so what -
far better to have a bit of extra lean mass on the thighs
than to have excess cellulite everywhere, or worse - a big
bulging gut and pencil thin legs.

> I'm looking for some expert opinion on this because I
> don't know how trust worthy her source for this info is.
>
>BTW, she has no fat, anywhere.
>
>Thanks, Joe

"Brian Wakem" wrote

> Running will thin out her thighs and make them stronger.
> The only way she'll get bigger thighs from running is if
> she does nothing but hill sprints.

I always get big thighs from running, not that I mind them.
The peak thigh mass came when I ran my first marathon last
October. I haven't run much since, but I try to every once
in a while so my legs don't get too skinny and so I don't
lose my overall conditioning.

I didn't do much hill running. Could the big thighs indicate
that I am using improper form when I run? I run about a 8:30-
10:30 min/mile pace, depending on the distance.

"Alise" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Brian Wakem" wrote
> >
> > Running will thin out her thighs and make them stronger.
> > The only way she'll get bigger thighs from running is if
> > she does nothing but hill sprints.
> >

> I always get big thighs from running, not that I mind
> them. The peak thigh mass came when I ran my first
> marathon last October. I haven't run much since, but I try
> to every once in a while so my legs don't get too skinny
> and so I don't lose my overall conditioning.
>
> I didn't do much hill running. Could the big thighs
> indicate that I am using improper form when I run? I run
> about a 8:30-10:30 min/mile pace, depending on the
> distance.

This indicates one or more of several things:
1) Water retention in the quads.
2) Too much jogging.
3) Excessive cellulite consumption.