Women's specific bikes

Casey

Guest
I'm 4'11" and I'm starting to train for my first tri (a sprint distance
first, but I totally expect to get hooked to this sport). My local
bike shop recommended the Specialized Dolce......does anyone have any
other recommendations? I'd really like to find a used one to get me
going too!

Thanks,
Casey

It really depends on what you want to spend, how competitive you are,
how long you plan to keep doing tris, and if you think you might decide
to go for a bigger one later.

For me the Trek 1000 WSD is great, but then again, I didn't have a ton
of money to invest in it. It still cost me about $750 plus all the
accessories (and trust me, there are a lot of accessories you need).
$750 is pretty much on the low end of the spectrum, it pretty much only
goes up from there, unless you buy used or find a great deal.

Give us a little more information on what you plan on doing and I am
sure some people will have even better advice.

"Casey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm 4'11" and I'm starting to train for my first tri (a sprint distance
> first, but I totally expect to get hooked to this sport). My local
> bike shop recommended the Specialized Dolce......does anyone have any
> other recommendations? I'd really like to find a used one to get me
> going too!
>
> Thanks,
> Casey

Hi Casey

I just sorted my sister out (also for first tri) with a Dolce. Very nice
bike in my opinion. Hers is a silver '06 model. 48cm for her at 5'1.

You really need to try that and others (Trek 1000 WSD etc) before you
decide. At 4'11" it's going to need to be a good fit as you'll might be on
the smallest frame from most ranges, depending on proportions. 44cm for the
Dolce if I recall. Try one or too in the shop and test ride what feels
good. A good shop will take the time to make sure it's right.

Used bikes are likely to be hard to come by in a size suitable for you.
The likes of eBay can be good but you really have to know what you're buying
and what work will need doing to make it worthwhile. Personally I'd stick
with the shop as they should be useful for repairs and advice after
purchase. Ask nicely and you'll probably get some bits and bobs with the
bike.

If you do think you're going to get into the sport, think about getting
something better than the base model. The 8 speed stuff on the Dolce is
good enough, but a little heavy and a bit of a dead end when it comes to
upgrades. If my sister gets hooked, I can see that I'll be stripping one of
my bikes down for parts for her!

Good luck and welcome!

Skippy
E&OE