Womens's Austin criterium crash photos

On Jun 26, 4:47 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:24:18 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >caffetrieste schreef:
> >> A frame-by-frame look at Anna Lang's wipeout, here:

> >Here's the original series of 26:
> >http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRy...

> That's a nice set of images

It would be interesting to know what tires she was using. It seems she
had control of the bike, and didn't really cut the corner too sharp.
From what I can tell, they look like Vittoria??
Rick in Tennessee

"cycledogg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Jun 26, 4:47 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:24:18 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe
>>
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Here's the original series of 26:
>> >http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRy...

>> That's a nice set of images

> It would be interesting to know what tires she was using. It seems she
> had control of the bike, and didn't really cut the corner too sharp.
> From what I can tell, they look like Vittoria??
> Rick in Tennessee

Vittoria? How can you tell? Since she is riding a Specialized bike with
Specialized wheels and has Specialized emblazoned prominently on her
skinsuit, I'd say they were Specialized tires. Not that they were
necessarily a cause of the crash.

On Jun 26, 5:32 am, cycledogg <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 4:47 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:24:18 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >Here's the original series of 26:
> > >http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRy...

> > That's a nice set of images

> It would be interesting to know what tires she was using. It seems she
> had control of the bike, and didn't really cut the corner too sharp.
> From what I can tell, they look like Vittoria??
> Rick in Tennessee

She crosses some stripes in the road just before her rear tire slides
out, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Nice bike handling
by the women behind her.
-Paul

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:24:18 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >caffetrieste schreef:
> >> A frame-by-frame look at Anna Lang's wipeout, here:

> >Here's the original series of 26:
> >http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRye4c15k#5
> >215284327936787266

> That's a nice set of images

http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRye4c1
5k#5215284327936787266

You could see Anna's crash coming...

From my viewpoint (I'm the moto-ref behind the group in the first
photos), she jetted up the left side of the group to the front and made
a hard cut right and then left setting up for the turn, crossing the
painted lines twice.

The streets were very slick before and after a rain shower that day (uoi
can see the dirty lines in the road). It hasn't rained in Austin very
hard in recent months, so the road grime was thick.

My XR required a smooth line and no aggressive movements. The guys on
beemers were sliding all over.

Mike G.
-

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:24:18 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >caffetrieste schreef:
> >> A frame-by-frame look at Anna Lang's wipeout, here:

> >Here's the original series of 26:
> >http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRye4c15k#5
> >215284327936787266

> That's a nice set of images

http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRye4c1
5k#5215284327936787266

You could see Anna's crash coming...

From my viewpoint (I'm the moto-ref behind the group in the first

On Jun 26, 9:39 am, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 5:32 am, cycledogg <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 26, 4:47 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > That's a nice set of images

> > It would be interesting to know what tires she was using. It seems she
> > had control of the bike, and didn't really cut the corner too sharp.
> > From what I can tell, they look like Vittoria??
> > Rick in Tennessee

> She crosses some stripes in the road just before her rear tire slides
> out, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Nice bike handling
> by the women behind her.
> -Paul

If you look at her position relative to the center line in the first
two photos it appears that she swung outside abruptly, perhaps to
avoid the manhole cover, making the eventual turn initiation more
abrupt compared to the others. I agree that the stripes may have been
a factor too.

Bret

On Jun 26, 7:14 am, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "cycledogg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > On Jun 26, 4:47 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> That's a nice set of images

> > It would be interesting to know what tires she was using. It seems she
> > had control of the bike, and didn't really cut the corner too sharp.
> > From what I can tell, they look like Vittoria??
> > Rick in Tennessee

> Vittoria? How can you tell? Since she is riding a Specialized bike with
> Specialized wheels and has Specialized emblazoned prominently on her
> skinsuit, I'd say they were Specialized tires. Not that they were
> necessarily a cause of the crash.

Under the paint it's probably a Cervelo; that would explain
everything.

tf

In article <72b0b989-95d5-4199-a69d-99ae850adeb4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
Bret <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 9:39 am, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:

> > She crosses some stripes in the road just before her rear tire slides
> > out, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Nice bike handling
> > by the women behind her.
> > -Paul

> If you look at her position relative to the center line in the first
> two photos it appears that she swung outside abruptly, perhaps to
> avoid the manhole cover, making the eventual turn initiation more
> abrupt compared to the others. I agree that the stripes may have been
> a factor too.

Yeah - she's already crashing in this shot, even though she doesn't know it:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRye4c15k#521528449
1145544594>

The front wheel is sliding to the outside and her bars are cranking harder to the
left, which gets much more extreme in the next shot. Paul's right about the bike
handling of the rest of the pack.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Jun 26, 10:45 am, Mike G <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:24:18 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >Here's the original series of 26:
> > >http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRy...
> > >215284327936787266

> > That's a nice set of images

> http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertTX/ATTCritWomen/photo?authkey=YwmRy....
> 5k#5215284327936787266
>
> You could see Anna's crash coming...
>
> From my viewpoint (I'm the moto-ref behind the group in the first
> photos), she jetted up the left side of the group to the front and made
> a hard cut right and then left setting up for the turn, crossing the
> painted lines twice.
>
> The streets were very slick before and after a rain shower that day (uoi
> can see the dirty lines in the road). It hasn't rained in Austin very
> hard in recent months, so the road grime was thick.
>
> My XR required a smooth line and no aggressive movements. The guys on
> beemers were sliding all over.
>
> Mike G.
> -

Well that's some useful info. I totally missed that jog to her right
before swinging left, but it's clear that's what she did between the
first and second pictures. I see Bret caught that, and the manhole
covers. I think that's the explanation. She wanted to avoid the
manhole covers.
-Paul