Wonderful discovery!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kate Connally, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. Well, I was shopping last Friday and I thought I'd
    pick up some yogurt to make lassi with some of the
    strawberries I had just picked up on sale. On the
    way to the regular yogurt section of the supermarket
    I came upon a different section, nowhere near the
    regular one, that had a number of things including
    kefir and some Stonyfield yogurts. I stopped out
    of curiosity and was intrigued by the Stonyfield
    whole milk yogurt. There were 4 varieties of Stony-
    field yogure, 3 of which were plain and low-fat
    and one of which was the whole milk yogurt which
    was French vanilla flavor. Although I would normally
    buy plain, unflavored yogurt for lassi I had to have
    the whole milk stuff and figured the flavoring would
    not hurt, in fact would make more scrumptious, the
    strawberry lassi since it's a sweet lassi anyway.

    However, I was a little worried about buying this
    brand as I had once bought a couple of pints of their
    organic ice cream at Best Foods when it was on sale.
    They were awful! But this sounded so good I couldn't
    resist. So I took it home. They only had it in
    quart containers, so I really hoped it was good.

    I sliced up the berries and sugared them and left them
    sit out overnight to make juice. Sat. I had a large
    bowl of berries and I just spooned a large helping of
    the yogurt over them. Boy was that luscious. The
    texture is amazing, too! Thick and smooth. I usually
    don't care for the texture of yogurt, which has always
    heretofore been low-fat yogurt, since that's all you
    can usually get. I would never have put the plain
    low-fat yogurt on my berries like that. It's okay
    used in cooking and blended with fruit and water to
    make lassi but just plain out of the container I'd
    rather not eat it.

    Well, now I'm addicted to this yogurt. Can't wait
    to get home and have some more berries and yogurt for
    dessert tonight. I still haven't made the lassi since
    it was so good the other way. Yum.

    Kate
    --
    Kate Connally
    Until you bite their heads off.”

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:31:07 -0400, Kate Connally <[email protected]> wrote:
    [snip]
    > I sliced up the berries and sugared them and left them
    > sit out overnight to make juice. Sat. I had a large
    > bowl of berries and I just spooned a large helping of
    > the yogurt over them. Boy was that luscious. The
    > texture is amazing, too! Thick and smooth. I usually
    > don't care for the texture of yogurt, which has always
    > heretofore been low-fat yogurt, since that's all you
    > can usually get. I would never have put the plain
    > low-fat yogurt on my berries like that. It's okay
    > used in cooking and blended with fruit and water to
    > make lassi but just plain out of the container I'd
    > rather not eat it.
    >
    > Well, now I'm addicted to this yogurt. Can't wait
    > to get home and have some more berries and yogurt for
    > dessert tonight. I still haven't made the lassi since
    > it was so good the other way. Yum.

    Agreed, it's great stuff. Cubs here used to carry Stonyfield's whole
    milk yogurt, but for some reason they stopped doing it. I usually get whole
    milk yogurt from Trader Joe's or Jungle Jim's. The latter has more variety,
    and the last type I tried (Hawthorne Valley, I think it was) was delicious. I
    prefer adding my own fruit and sweeteners like you did. Last time we were at
    TJ's, I got a small container of the Greek yogurt with honey on the side to
    mix in, but haven't tried it yet. Someone on this NG recommended it, and it
    did sound good. Next step is experimenting with homemade yogurt, maybe using
    cream instead of milk. :)~

    In a pinch, I'll get Dannon with fruit on the bottom. But more and
    more prepackaged/sweetened yogurts are using artificial sweeteners now, and I
    don't like the way they taste.

    Ariane

  3. nivekbd

    nivekbd Guest

    Ariane Jenkins <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:31:07 -0400, Kate Connally <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > I sliced up the berries and sugared them and left them
    > > sit out overnight to make juice. Sat. I had a large
    > > bowl of berries and I just spooned a large helping of
    > > the yogurt over them. Boy was that luscious. The
    > > texture is amazing, too! Thick and smooth. I usually
    > > don't care for the texture of yogurt, which has always
    > > heretofore been low-fat yogurt, since that's all you
    > > can usually get. I would never have put the plain
    > > low-fat yogurt on my berries like that. It's okay
    > > used in cooking and blended with fruit and water to
    > > make lassi but just plain out of the container I'd
    > > rather not eat it.
    > >
    > > Well, now I'm addicted to this yogurt. Can't wait
    > > to get home and have some more berries and yogurt for
    > > dessert tonight. I still haven't made the lassi since
    > > it was so good the other way. Yum.

    > Agreed, it's great stuff. Cubs here used to carry Stonyfield's whole
    > milk yogurt, but for some reason they stopped doing it. I usually get whole
    > milk yogurt from Trader Joe's or Jungle Jim's. The latter has more variety,
    > and the last type I tried (Hawthorne Valley, I think it was) was delicious. I
    > prefer adding my own fruit and sweeteners like you did. Last time we were at
    > TJ's, I got a small container of the Greek yogurt with honey on the side to
    > mix in, but haven't tried it yet. Someone on this NG recommended it, and it
    > did sound good. Next step is experimenting with homemade yogurt, maybe using
    > cream instead of milk. :)~
    >
    > In a pinch, I'll get Dannon with fruit on the bottom. But more and
    > more prepackaged/sweetened yogurts are using artificial sweeteners now, and I
    > don't like the way they taste.
    >
    > Ariane

    Thank you for your wonderful receipe - what a great idea. I am going
    to try it myself as it will be a really refreshing drink for the
    summer - that is if we get one.
    Again, many thanks
    Kevin

  4. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Kate Connally wrote:
    > Well, I was shopping last Friday and I thought I'd
    > pick up some yogurt to make lassi with some of the
    > strawberries I had just picked up on sale. On the
    > way to the regular yogurt section of the supermarket
    > I came upon a different section, nowhere near the
    > regular one, that had a number of things including
    > kefir and some Stonyfield yogurts.

    <snip>

    I buy Stonyfield Farms yogurt quite often. It's excellent. If you call
    their CS line (the 1-800 number on the container) they will send you
    coupons for $$ off. :)

    -L.