Wonderful world of "which bike?"

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Aharon, May 25, 2003.

  1. Aharon

    Aharon Guest

    Hmmmm, I may be preparing to rationalize dropping 2K on a new bent, and would appreciate more advice
    (after trolling the forum for awhile). I am reaqdy for a step up in performance! I am on my second
    Vision R40 (bought one of the first 40s 10 years ago or so, and replaced it with a 20" front wheel
    model after numero uno was ripped off). Started my bent career in mid '80s with an Infinity.
    SSSSOOOOO, now thinking about an R64, a Volae, or a Strada... or maybe even a P38? I'll keep the R40
    for commuting, shopping, etc., and want a fast bent to ride with wedgie friends who run 16-20 mph (I
    usually cruise at about 14-15 on the R40).

    I'll never get up to Hostelshoppe to ride the Volae, alas, so wonder if anyone "out there" (we bent
    riders are all "out there") has ridden all the bikes I mention here?

    Any kindly advice much appreciated.

    Oh yes, and another thing... would I be just as well off to put $$$ into hot wheels and OSS for the
    R40, and ride my wife's BikeE to the store???

    Tags:

  2. Azqaz

    Azqaz Guest

    [email protected] (Aharon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hmmmm, I may be preparing to rationalize dropping 2K on a new bent, and would appreciate more
    > advice (after trolling the forum for awhile). I am reaqdy for a step up in performance! I am on my
    > second Vision R40 (bought one of the first 40s 10 years ago or so, and replaced it with a 20"
    > front wheel model after numero uno was ripped off). Started my bent career in mid '80s with an
    > Infinity. SSSSOOOOO, now thinking about an R64, a Volae, or a Strada... or maybe even a P38? I'll
    > keep the R40 for commuting, shopping, etc., and want a fast bent to ride with wedgie friends who
    > run 16-20 mph (I usually cruise at about 14-15 on the R40).

    Not to be a pain, but am running 14-16 on my R40 with no problem. Hopefully faster now that I am
    running clipless pedals. What is you usual on your r40?

    > I'll never get up to Hostelshoppe to ride the Volae, alas, so wonder if anyone "out there" (we
    > bent riders are all "out there") has ridden all the bikes I mention here?
    >
    > Any kindly advice much appreciated.
    >
    > Oh yes, and another thing... would I be just as well off to put $$$ into hot wheels and OSS for
    > the R40, and ride my wife's BikeE to the store???

    It you are more comfortable with OSS go for it. I was much happier with USS myself, but to each
    their own. If USS vs OSS is your main issue, grab a pair of OSS bars because they are a lot cheaper
    at $199 than a new bent. If you don't like the Vision from ATP then try some others. There seems to
    be a bike for everyone out there somewhere. ;)

    As to hot wheels, All i have experience with are the stocks from primo and a brand new pair of Kenda
    Kwests that I am not sure are installed correctly since they seem "loose" on my alex da16 rims. More
    to come in the next week.

    Thanks Bryan

  3. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    I've riden the Strada and Saber though only briefly. Both of these bike and the Volae should doo
    alot to help you keep up with your friends. I think you will be hard pressed to make your R40 into a
    speed machine but some upgrades like fairing and wheels would help some. I don't have any experience
    with the P38 but the number of people reporting problems with Lightnings customer service would make
    me worry about buying one. Plus I perfer a more laid back bike. You are going to need to try out
    these bikes to determine which one is for you. All three (four) are similar in performance and basic
    configuration but the handle bars, seats, and wheel base varies considerably which will affect
    comfort and handling for you. I'd probably go for the Volae or Corsa as I like the hardshell seat
    long wheelbase and extended arms position but those are all subjective opinions and your experience
    maybe different. Craig Optima Baron

    [email protected] (Aharon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hmmmm, I may be preparing to rationalize dropping 2K on a new bent, and would appreciate more
    > advice (after trolling the forum for awhile). I am reaqdy for a step up in performance! I am on my
    > second Vision R40 (bought one of the first 40s 10 years ago or so, and replaced it with a 20"
    > front wheel model after numero uno was ripped off). Started my bent career in mid '80s with an
    > Infinity. SSSSOOOOO, now thinking about an R64, a Volae, or a Strada... or maybe even a P38? I'll
    > keep the R40 for commuting, shopping, etc., and want a fast bent to ride with wedgie friends who
    > run 16-20 mph (I usually cruise at about 14-15 on the R40).
    >
    > I'll never get up to Hostelshoppe to ride the Volae, alas, so wonder if anyone "out there" (we
    > bent riders are all "out there") has ridden all the bikes I mention here?
    >
    > Any kindly advice much appreciated.
    >
    > Oh yes, and another thing... would I be just as well off to put $$$ into hot wheels and OSS for
    > the R40, and ride my wife's BikeE to the store???

  4. Aharon

    Aharon Guest

    Thanks for the replies... I am intruiged by the Volae's apparent value for the money compared with
    the Strada and R64. Rolf says they have a return policy that's rather appealing if I don't like the
    bike. Only answer is to find a place to ride the bikes before buying... tho' back in the "old days"
    (yipes) I used to have to buy bikes sight unseen. Another recumbent truth I've discovered is that
    you really don't know your bike until you've ridden the bejeezus out of it for, well, a LONG time.
    After being on visions 10 years, only last year did I discover how important it was to work my abs
    (abdominals, not antilock brakes)into the equation. Big difference in power.

    Anyhow, anyone out there actually ridden a Volae?

    [email protected] (cbb) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've riden the Strada and Saber though only briefly. Both of these bike and the Volae should doo
    > alot to help you keep up with your friends. I think you will be hard pressed to make your R40 into
    > a speed machine but some upgrades like fairing and wheels would help some. I don't have any
    > experience with the P38 but the number of people reporting problems with Lightnings customer
    > service would make me worry about buying one. Plus I perfer a more laid back bike. You are going
    > to need to try out these bikes to determine which one is for you. All three (four) are similar in
    > performance and basic configuration but the handle bars, seats, and wheel base varies considerably
    > which will affect comfort and handling for you. I'd probably go for the Volae or Corsa as I like
    > the hardshell seat long wheelbase and extended arms position but those are all subjective opinions
    > and your experience maybe different. Craig Optima Baron
    >
    > [email protected] (Aharon) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hmmmm, I may be preparing to rationalize dropping 2K on a new bent, and would appreciate more
    > > advice (after trolling the forum for awhile). I am reaqdy for a step up in performance! I am on
    > > my second Vision R40 (bought one of the first 40s 10 years ago or so, and replaced it with a 20"
    > > front wheel model after numero uno was ripped off). Started my bent career in mid '80s with an
    > > Infinity. SSSSOOOOO, now thinking about an R64, a Volae, or a Strada... or maybe even a P38?
    > > I'll keep the R40 for commuting, shopping, etc., and want a fast bent to ride with wedgie
    > > friends who run 16-20 mph (I usually cruise at about 14-15 on the R40).
    > >
    > > I'll never get up to Hostelshoppe to ride the Volae, alas, so wonder if anyone "out there" (we
    > > bent riders are all "out there") has ridden all the bikes I mention here?
    > >
    > > Any kindly advice much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Oh yes, and another thing... would I be just as well off to put $$$ into hot wheels and OSS for
    > > the R40, and ride my wife's BikeE to the store???

  5. Ride a Volae? Interesting question? Has anyone actually taken delivery of one? Has someone that's
    got one on order been gived a delivery date? In just over, two months the Hostelle Shoppe Rally is
    scheduled. To the best of my knowledge which is limited....Bacchetta will be there, as will RANS and
    possibly even Vision. With the number of fast riders that normally attend this event and the promise
    of more this year. This may well be quite a shootout between the various designs as well a brand
    competition. I'm gonna try my best to be there.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Aharon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the replies... I am intruiged by the Volae's apparent value for the money compared with
    > the Strada and R64. Rolf says they have a return policy that's rather appealing if I don't like
    > the bike. Only answer is to find a place to ride the bikes before buying... tho' back in the "old
    > days" (yipes) I used to have to buy bikes sight unseen. Another recumbent truth I've discovered is
    > that you really don't know your bike until you've ridden the bejeezus out of it for, well, a LONG
    > time. After being on visions 10 years, only last year did I discover how important it was to work
    > my abs (abdominals, not antilock brakes)into the equation. Big difference in power.
    >
    > Anyhow, anyone out there actually ridden a Volae?
    >

    > [email protected] (cbb) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I've riden the Strada and Saber though only briefly. Both of these bike and the Volae should doo
    > > alot to help you keep up with your friends. I think you will be hard pressed to make your R40
    > > into a speed machine but some upgrades like fairing and wheels would help some. I don't have any
    > > experience with the P38 but the number of people reporting problems with Lightnings customer
    > > service would make me worry about buying one. Plus I perfer a more laid back bike. You are going
    > > to need to try out these bikes to determine which one is for you. All three (four) are similar
    > > in performance and basic configuration but the handle bars, seats, and wheel base varies
    > > considerably which will affect comfort and handling for you. I'd probably go for the Volae or
    > > Corsa as I like the hardshell seat long wheelbase and extended arms position but those are all
    > > subjective opinions and your experience maybe different. Craig Optima Baron
    > >
    > > [email protected] (Aharon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hmmmm, I may be preparing to rationalize dropping 2K on a new bent, and would appreciate more
    > > > advice (after trolling the forum for awhile). I am reaqdy for a step up in performance! I am
    > > > on my second Vision R40 (bought one of the first 40s 10 years ago or so, and replaced it with
    > > > a 20" front wheel model after numero uno was ripped off). Started my bent career in mid '80s
    > > > with an Infinity. SSSSOOOOO, now thinking about an R64, a Volae, or a Strada... or maybe even
    > > > a P38? I'll keep the R40 for commuting, shopping, etc., and want a fast bent to ride with
    > > > wedgie friends who run 16-20 mph (I usually cruise at about 14-15 on the R40).
    > > >
    > > > I'll never get up to Hostelshoppe to ride the Volae, alas, so wonder if anyone "out there" (we
    > > > bent riders are all "out there") has ridden all the bikes I mention here?
    > > >
    > > > Any kindly advice much appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Oh yes, and another thing... would I be just as well off to put $$$ into hot wheels and OSS
    > > > for the R40, and ride my wife's BikeE to the store???

  6. Rick Moll

    Rick Moll Guest

    I haven't ridden one, but I have a Volae Team on order. I've bought most of my recumbents sight
    unseen, since we have very few shops around here which actually carry any recumbents. I too am
    impressed with the Volaes. I had been considering a Bacchetta, but I wanted something lighter than
    a Strada, the Corsa had no weight spec, and from the review I read I didn't think I'd be happy
    with the seat adjustment system on the Aero. Then I heard about the Team, it was speced very
    nicely, and was only a few pounds heavier than the Aero. So I ordered the Team since it also meant
    I wouldn't have the hassle of trying to find a way to actually purchase a Bacchetta with no
    dealers around here.

    Hostel Shoppe says they are having supplier problems, in particular they are waiting for forks. The
    latest date is June 19, if they have no more supply problems.

    Rick Moll