Wondering about Swimming & Biking in Oahu next week

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Barbara Larrain, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. I am going to be in Oahu next week with son & my husband
    there on a business trip. Will be staying Waikiki area at
    Hawaii Hilton. I'll be looking to rent a bike to use for
    the 5 day there and some place to swim. It seems that
    riding along the main road counter clockwise from Waikiki
    to some point and turning around it the best option. Is
    swimming in the lagoon by the Hilton an option or does
    anyone know of any pools in the area. I don't know what to
    expect for water or air temperature. Wondering how to dress
    for biking. It is rainy? Coming from the NW I usual;;y
    prepare for rain and cold.

    Thanks,

    Barb L

    Tags:

  2. Imken

    Imken Guest

    Hi Barbara,

    I probably missed you but just got back from NZ Ironman
    today. Don't know about renting a bike on Oahu but I am sure
    you can get one of some type. Swimming is great at San Susi
    (sic) beach a little ways down from the Hilton. Lots of
    folks swim the Alamoana Channel on the Right hand end of the
    beach. It's where the swim is for the Tinman Triathlon. I
    believe that San Suci will be the swim for the upcoming age
    group ITU world Championship Triathlon. I swam it for the
    World Corporate Games a few years ago. It is a nice channel
    out through the reef then an open ocean swim to some buoys.
    Lots of swimmers every day in the afternoon at San Souci and
    all day at Ala Moana channel.

    Bike riding counter clockwise from the Hilton will take you
    along the Honolulu marathon run course out to Hawaii Kai.
    It's a course used for many triathlons as well. Lots of
    traffic so be careful. Mid morning after go-to-work traffic
    is clear is best.

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]_s53...