wondering about the use of hand paddles in training

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Pat, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Today, I saw two people using these hand paddles.

    A young woman had red paddles and was swimming the front crawl. Her hands entered the water at 1
    o'clock and 11 o'clock with the thumb first. Yes, her left hand entered at 1 o'clock, made a
    quarter circle arc, and then pulled toward her hips. Her right hand entered the water at 11
    o'clock, made the arc, and then pulled toward the rear. She didn't remove the paddles the entire
    time she was in the water, so I don't know what her normal stroke would be.

    The middle-aged man had yellow hand paddles. He reached with a mostly straight arm toward the entry
    point, but with his wrist tilted downward so that the edge of the paddle entered the water first.
    His hands entered the water at 12 o'clock each time. When he removed the paddles to swim the front
    crawl, his palm slapped the water each time. I had to wonder if the paddles created this entry.

    I once knew an older man who used them religiously, but his elbows entered the water first. That was
    the way he was taught to swim in the late 1930's. His hand entered the water sideways, like a blade,
    because that gave the least amount of resistance.

    So, my question is, do hand paddles help with the stroke or do they solidify a bad habit?

    Pat

    Tags:

  2. Brian D

    Brian D Guest

    On 5 Mar,
    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So, my question is, do hand paddles help with the stroke or do they solidify a bad habit?

    You need a Qualified coach on the poolside to supervise, else paddles can not only solidify a bad
    habit, but cause shoulder injury.

    They are a good training aid, but only under expert guidance. Without the guidance they are a recipe
    for disaster.

    --
    BD add 1 to from address to reply [13435]