Wondering how I compare

graywulf

Jul 17, 2009
I was curious at the pace that other roadies keep on their solo rides, and how I fit in, seeing as I haven't ridden group much. I'm also a little worried I'm not that fast.

For example, today I did a 47 mi, 7000 ft of climbing, 15.3 mph, over 3 hrs.

I know it's kind of like apples and oranges, but I'm just curious. I'd like to race in 2010.

graywulf said:
I was curious at the pace that other roadies keep on their solo rides, and how I fit in, seeing as I haven't ridden group much. I'm also a little worried I'm not that fast.

For example, today I did a 47 mi, 7000 ft of climbing, 15.3 mph, over 3 hrs.

I know it's kind of like apples and oranges, but I'm just curious. I'd like to race in 2010.

Solo speed means nothing to keeping up with a group -- whether in a group ride or in a race.

But, to answer your question, in the past 2 weeks my solo ride have been 13.8-20.3mph between 15-88mi in the rolling hills of Madison. Cat2.

Recommend you start doing group rides as soon as possible. Get in with a club or race-training group and see how it goes. Don't be surprised if you're dropped pretty quickly; that's expected your first few times out. Just concentrate on riding safely; once you learn pack and paceline skills your ability to hang with the group will naturally improve.

Don't worry too much at this point. Agree you should learn to ride safely with a group.