Won't be able to take nutritional supplements: Senate Bill 722

Steve Bayt

Guest
STEVE BAYT (Parma/Brook Park, Ohio)

This group keeps asking some great questions, except for the guy who is promoting masturbation to
save your life.

But, all you people seem to be in denial of the worst thing to all your health. That is Illinois'
Senator Durbin's Senate Bill 722 which would lead to the elimination of all health foods.

The same standards which SB 722 seeks to employ on nutritional supplements is the same as used by
FDA regulated prescription drugs.

The only media which seems to be dealing with SB 722 is the magazine Health Start Today, which is
mostly available to Vitamin World customers, which is just about the only Health Food store actively
lobbying against SB 722. GNC dosen't even have a link to the capwiz.com site hosting a complete
guide for those interested in lobbying against SB 722.

In this months issue, the publisher has revealed probably the best argument against SB 722.
According to the CDC on average 106,000 Americans die due to unsafe prescription drugs. Last year
brought forth the average of 2.1 million Americans hospitalized due to prescription drugs. And
according to CDC and The Journal of Medicine that 2.1 million is only 10% of those who were "911'ed"
to hospitals. It dosen't include possibly up to 18 million more Americans who just suffered without
wanting to go to the hospital for even more drugs.

Yet, over the last 25 years, each year has had no more than 5 deaths due to Nutritional supplements
and in the entire history of nutritional supplements according to Frontline, only 7,000 people have
ever been hospitalized due to nutritional supplements.

Using what is called by marketers, "estimation by analogy" SB 722 will send more people to hospitals
in a month for supplement use then have ever been admittted to hospitals.

Other articles of mine can be found by doing a google newsgroup search under Senate Bill 722.

Whenever I post to cleveland.com/forums they delete my postings in particular the health forums. I
am asking that people in this (these) groups to copy and paste either my articles or others' to
cleveland.com/forums. Then keep going to Senators a capwiz.com where one also do media outlets.

For anyone who has either contacted anyone about SB 722 please let's start a thread for what
people have done, either online, regular advertising or even telling others like I do in all my
college classes.

If SB 722 isn't defeated all the questions in this (these) groups will have no meaning for one won't
be able to act on them anyway. And Senator Durbin if successful with what should be called "The
American Health Crisis Act of 2003"

>This group keeps asking some great questions, except for the guy who is promoting masturbation to
>save your life.

Oh dammit, that won't work then?

>Illinois' Senator Durbin's Senate Bill 722 which would lead to the elimination of all health foods.

Dude, the subject of Nutritional Supplements would indeed be of interest to many on this NG;
However, you do nothing to enhance your credibility when you make outrageous overstatements such as
telling us that the US Senate is going to "eliminate all health foods." No one listens to
extremists. If you really have something to say, couch your words in clear, unbiased facts. Quote
from the statutory language, etc. Don't tell us "the sky is falling."

I for one would care if all my supplements were taken away or made to cost 10 times as much. But I
don't give what you are saying a plug nickel's worth of weight. You speak, but you do not persuade.
Please try again.

[email protected] (Steve Bayt) wrote: .

>Yet, over the last 25 years, each year has had no more than 5 deaths due to Nutritional supplements
>and in the entire history of nutritional supplements according to Frontline, only 7,000 people have
>ever been hospitalized due to nutritional supplements.

Sorry, but that contradicts every article I've read on the subject from legitimate, non-
industry sources.

I suspect that Frontline is being selective in what they include as "nutritional supplements,"
excluding some dangerous products.

Hey, if GNC isn't worried about the bill, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Mike Tennent wrote:

> [email protected] (Steve Bayt) wrote: .
>
>>Yet, over the last 25 years, each year has had no more than 5 deaths due to Nutritional
>>supplements and in the entire history of nutritional supplements according to Frontline, only
>>7,000 people have ever been hospitalized due to nutritional supplements.

Only 7,000? I guess that cuts the odds but I'd like to see some minimal testing and warnings such
that number is significantly less. Please to include a pointer to the full article since Frontline
is PBS and tends to be balanced. I'm not suggesting that you would pull something out of context but
I'm leery.

> Sorry, but that contradicts every article I've read on the subject from legitimate, non-industry
> sources.

I agree.

When they eliminate health foods, I'll finally be on the right side of the law..........for once.