Woo hoo!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by ritcho, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    B-grade, Oakville again for six laps of the 7.1k loop. A smallish group rolled out and immediately refused to co-operate. The hill just after the start/finish line proved to be the only place where the pace would pick up, in the hope of shaking off some of the weaker riders. Despite this, the small group remained together throughout the race for a bunch sprint.

    The course takes a 90 degree left turn about 600m out from the line. The first couple of hundred metres are a slight incline before levelling out. The final 50-100m has a little uptick, just for fun.

    Turning into the final straight and no-one wanted to lead out, fair enough. Another rider lifted to pace on the flatter bit, but had several riders on his tail. Unfortunately for me, I was not one of them - caught in the wind on the left side, but not pushing too hard.

    Into the final 400 and the lead out rider was lifting but had no chance from that far out. One rider took off from behind and shot up the right side, so I figured it was time to go down the (vacant) left side. It was flat out to the line from there and was probably fortunate that I had been ignored as a potential lead out - it helped when the other bloke was taking off up the middle of the road. When I looked up as I crossed the line, there was no-one in sight, except for the rider on the far right about a bike length behind (yes, behind!)

    What a day! V happy, especially since the bike's rear tyre had only about half-pressure when I went to put it in the car. I pumped it up to about 85psi and hoped for the best... phew!

    Ciao,
    Ritch.

    PS. Maybe spend a little while in the B's, but who knows?

    Tags:

  2. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Well done Ritcho. Can't remember the last time I won a race!!

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "ritcho" <[email protected]
    > Into the final 400 and the lead out rider was lifting but had no chance
    > from that far out. One rider took off from behind and shot up the right
    > side, so I figured it was time to go down the (vacant) left side. It
    > was flat out to the line from there and was probably fortunate that I
    > had been ignored as a potential lead out - it helped when the other
    > bloke was taking off up the middle of the road. When I looked up as I
    > crossed the line, there was no-one in sight, except for the rider on
    > the far right about a bike length behind (yes, behind!)

    <snip>

    > PS. Maybe spend a little while in the B's, but who knows?

    Winning B grade with no leadout, just brute strength...
    someone's moving to A grade soon! :)

    Nice one!

    hippy

  4. paul

    paul Guest

    How far and what speed do you ride these events?

    Paul

    "ritcho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > B-grade, Oakville again for six laps of the 7.1k loop. A smallish group
    > rolled out and immediately refused to co-operate. The hill just after
    > the start/finish line proved to be the only place where the pace would
    > pick up, in the hope of shaking off some of the weaker riders. Despite
    > this, the small group remained together throughout the race for a bunch
    > sprint.
    >
    > The course takes a 90 degree left turn about 600m out from the line.
    > The first couple of hundred metres are a slight incline before
    > levelling out. The final 50-100m has a little uptick, just for fun.
    >
    > Turning into the final straight and no-one wanted to lead out, fair
    > enough. Another rider lifted to pace on the flatter bit, but had
    > several riders on his tail. Unfortunately for me, I was not one of them
    > - caught in the wind on the left side, but not pushing too hard.
    >
    > Into the final 400 and the lead out rider was lifting but had no chance
    > from that far out. One rider took off from behind and shot up the right
    > side, so I figured it was time to go down the (vacant) left side. It
    > was flat out to the line from there and was probably fortunate that I
    > had been ignored as a potential lead out - it helped when the other
    > bloke was taking off up the middle of the road. When I looked up as I
    > crossed the line, there was no-one in sight, except for the rider on
    > the far right about a bike length behind (yes, behind!)
    >
    > What a day! V happy, especially since the bike's rear tyre had only
    > about half-pressure when I went to put it in the car. I pumped it up to
    > about 85psi and hoped for the best... phew!
    >
    > Ciao,
    > Ritch.
    >
    > PS. Maybe spend a little while in the B's, but who knows?
    >

    > --
    > ritcho

  5. no spam pls.

    no spam pls. Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "ritcho" <[email protected]
    > > Into the final 400 and the lead out rider was lifting but had no chance
    > > from that far out. One rider took off from behind and shot up the right
    > > side, so I figured it was time to go down the (vacant) left side. It
    > > was flat out to the line from there and was probably fortunate that I
    > > had been ignored as a potential lead out - it helped when the other
    > > bloke was taking off up the middle of the road. When I looked up as I
    > > crossed the line, there was no-one in sight, except for the rider on
    > > the far right about a bike length behind (yes, behind!)

    > <snip>
    > >
    > > PS. Maybe spend a little while in the B's, but who knows?

    > Winning B grade with no leadout, just brute strength...
    > someone's moving to A grade soon! :)
    >
    > Nice one!

    no spam pls.

    yeppo

  6. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    B-grade normally races 6 laps *7.1k/lap = 42.6km. The pace was slow this week, partly 'cos there was little co-operation in the group. Elapsed time was about 73 minutes (just under 35km/h average). Two weeks earlier was four minutes faster.

    It looks like I'm paying for the victory, having come down with a bronchial infection. Electric blanket and GMA for me!

    Ritch

  7. ritcho <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > paul Wrote:
    > > How far and what speed do you ride these events?
    > >
    > > Paul
    > >
    > > [snip heroic story :)]
    > >
    > > > ritcho
    > > >

    > B-grade normally races 6 laps *7.1k/lap = 42.6km. The pace was slow
    > this week, partly 'cos there was little co-operation in the group.
    > Elapsed time was about 73 minutes (just under 35km/h average). Two
    > weeks earlier was four minutes faster.
    >
    > It looks like I'm paying for the victory, having come down with a
    > bronchial infection. Electric blanket and GMA for me!
    >
    > Ritch[/color]

    BLACKHAWK DOWN

    YEPYEPYEPYEP AND RITCH YOU NEED A HAIR CUT.

  8. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Awesome ride Ritcho, but you do realise that you'll have to shave yer legs before they'll let ya ride A grade...

    Regards,

    Suzy (Mmmmmm... Smooth A grade calves...)