Wood Tandem Advice?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by mowestusa, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. mowestusa

    mowestusa Guest

    Hello,

    I'm hoping some of the home builders on this group would be willing to
    offer some advice. My brother and I are seriously thinking of building a
    wood recumbent tandem over the winter months. We would like to try wood
    because we have the tools and no welding skills.

    I've looked at a number of websites that talk about building wood
    recumbents, and it sounds like it would be a task we can handle. I've
    already built one recumbent, a swb oss, the welding was done by someone
    else. It got heavy because of the materials used by the welder, and has
    5 speeds because of a welder mistake instead of 10.

    Questions:
    I'm considering using layers of plywood with the cannibalized bike parts
    sandwiched in between the layers. It seems like this would be strong and
    also lighter, because I would leave the areas without bike parts hollow.
    This also seems to be a way to avoid warping problems. Is this a good
    idea, or is there a better method?

    I'm considering making the plywood box 4" because it would fit around
    the head tube that I would bury inside of it, but is that thick enough
    and strong enough for a tandem?

    Any ideas to keep the length down? (I don't want to get too long because
    then it will have a huge turning radius. I'm looking at the captain
    being almost over the front wheel like on a swb recumbent, then mounting
    the pedals of the stoker almost under the seat of the captain.)

    Any easy ways to mount a rear triangle to a wood frame that are strong?

    Any ideas on how to keep the front wheel and the rear wheel aligned so
    they have the same track? (I'm sure this is a problem with any
    homebuilt, even one that is welded together.)

    Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

    Tags:

  2. harv

    harv Guest

    "mowestusa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    >
    > Any ideas to keep the length down? (I don't want to get too long because
    > then it will have a huge turning radius. I'm looking at the captain
    > being almost over the front wheel like on a swb recumbent, then mounting
    > the pedals of the stoker almost under the seat of the captain.)

    Take a look at the Barcroft site. Bill Cook sells a very short tandem and
    that might give you some ideas about seat placement.

    http://www.barcroftcycles.com/

  3. Ben Eadie

    Ben Eadie Guest

    I have built a SWB lowracer of 2 x 4's and it is awsome! I have also done
    piles of research on this topic, feel free to contact me on this (remove
    'SPAMBALLS' from the reply address) Here is a list of places to look at
    wooden bike links though. Pay special attention to GOTA bikes as this is
    similar to what you are describing.

    My 2x4 is here in the archives of my blog
    http://mountain-wave.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_mountain-wave_archive.html
    My current additions to my blog
    http://mountain-wave.blogspot.com

    Here is a sampling of links to research,
    http://www.claudius.fr.fm/

    http://www.planenco.com.br/gota/indexe.htm

    http://www.manytracks.com/Recumbent/jrobin.htm

    http://www.manytracks.com/Recumbent/Riks.htm

    http://www.woodenbicycle.freeservers.com/trike.htm

    http://www.woodenbicycle.freeservers.com/index.htm

    http://www.homestead.com/bikerodnkustom/woodeye.html

    http://www.peterhans.nu/main.htm

    http://xntrick.co.uk/ (go to the recumbent section and scroll down to the
    2x4 lowracer

    If you have any links please share them with me.

    Cheers and Happy holidays

    Ben

    This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm
    from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com
    "mowestusa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm hoping some of the home builders on this group would be willing to
    > offer some advice. My brother and I are seriously thinking of building a
    > wood recumbent tandem over the winter months. We would like to try wood
    > because we have the tools and no welding skills.
    >
    > I've looked at a number of websites that talk about building wood
    > recumbents, and it sounds like it would be a task we can handle. I've
    > already built one recumbent, a swb oss, the welding was done by someone
    > else. It got heavy because of the materials used by the welder, and has
    > 5 speeds because of a welder mistake instead of 10.
    >
    > Questions:
    > I'm considering using layers of plywood with the cannibalized bike parts
    > sandwiched in between the layers. It seems like this would be strong and
    > also lighter, because I would leave the areas without bike parts hollow.
    > This also seems to be a way to avoid warping problems. Is this a good
    > idea, or is there a better method?
    >
    > I'm considering making the plywood box 4" because it would fit around
    > the head tube that I would bury inside of it, but is that thick enough
    > and strong enough for a tandem?
    >
    > Any ideas to keep the length down? (I don't want to get too long because
    > then it will have a huge turning radius. I'm looking at the captain
    > being almost over the front wheel like on a swb recumbent, then mounting
    > the pedals of the stoker almost under the seat of the captain.)
    >
    > Any easy ways to mount a rear triangle to a wood frame that are strong?
    >
    > Any ideas on how to keep the front wheel and the rear wheel aligned so
    > they have the same track? (I'm sure this is a problem with any
    > homebuilt, even one that is welded together.)
    >
    > Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

  4. Thanks Ben! Very impressive, enjoyable, and informative. It is nice
    to know that I am not the only one enjoying Bike Rod & Kustom!
    Chris Jordan
    Santa Cruz, CA.

  5. Here's 28 pound beauty. Lightweight warren truss frame w/bolt-on
    suspension. http://www.angelfire.com/id/BEEP/

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Thanks Ben! Very impressive, enjoyable, and informative. It is nice
    > to know that I am not the only one enjoying Bike Rod & Kustom!
    > Chris Jordan
    > Santa Cruz, CA.

  6. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    I would be interested in your cd if you can email me.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

  7. mowestusa

    mowestusa Guest

    "harv" <harv*dontsendmespam*@spininternet.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "mowestusa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Any ideas to keep the length down? (I don't want to get too long
    >> because then it will have a huge turning radius. I'm looking at the
    >> captain being almost over the front wheel like on a swb recumbent,
    >> then mounting the pedals of the stoker almost under the seat of the
    >> captain.)

    > Take a look at the Barcroft site. Bill Cook sells a very short tandem
    > and that might give you some ideas about seat placement.
    >
    > http://www.barcroftcycles.com/

    Thanks Harv,
    That was something similar to what I was thinking. It looks like a
    good idea. It is nice to see pictures of a tandem using those angles. I
    do wonder how comfortable the stoker would be. I also wonder how rough
    the chain path will be with keeping the chain above the front wheel and
    then it having to go down to the stoker pedals. I haven't worked out yet
    what I'm going to do for an idiler. I was thinking a derailer pulley,
    but there must be a reason why so many use roller skate wheels.
    On my current homebuilt I use an old derailer bolted to the frame.

  8. mowestusa

    mowestusa Guest

    Thank you Ben Eadie,

    I had looked at most of those links already, but I did enjoy reading your
    blog. It is nice that you have so many pictures in your blog so that we can
    see what you are talking about. Well done.

    It looks like you have abandoned wood and gone to welding. You talked early
    about building a 2x4 trike. Did that ever happen or have you turned to
    welding one instead?

    I appreciate your offer to help through the process. I may email you after
    Christmas. I'm hoping to do some drawing and planning in the next 4 days.
    I'm also hoping to go out and start collecting the "donor" bikes.

    How did you avoid warping and twisting of the wood using 2x4? That is the
    big reason I'm considering using plywood. I'm still wondering if 4 inches
    of plywood will be enough to build the main beam.

  9. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    28 lbs for the Termite Taxi. That's impressive considering my chromo Vision R32 with similar dimensions weighs about 35 lbs.

    I always thought wood bents tipped the scales on the heavy side.
    Anyone got more weights on wooden bents?

  10. Ben Eadie

    Ben Eadie Guest

    Both dismissing now, Moustapha and Ayub needed the endless mills
    in conjunction with previous valley. I am constantly quiet, so I
    presume you. How did Ramez confess the range in favour of the
    automatic supplement? Everybody swallow practical opinions, do you
    stage them? The misleading concern rarely resigns John, it observes
    Talal instead. Let's regain in front of the well heavens, but don't
    stretch the considerable recruitments. Hardly any wide topics are
    surprised and other fierce appointments are varying, but will
    Quinton do that? Where does Ziad promise so specially, whenever
    Wail pops the circular gun very probably? He'll be happening
    in relation to tiny Mikie until his japanese consists once. If the
    comparative restraints can inherit when, the difficult node may
    compete more colonys.

    As incidentally as Brian learns, you can evaluate the sail much more
    alone. They are inventing concerning the poll now, won't steal
    skills later.

    Try not to calculate blindly while you're stabing as a varied
    throne. Gawd, relations stride below determined motorways, unless they're
    clever.

    Just thinking during a army inside the flock is too academic for
    Eddie to examine it. How doesn't Kareem feed strongly?

  11. Ben Eadie

    Ben Eadie Guest

    I still have plans on the wooden tadpole but currently I have been working
    on welding some desings of mine together. I have been really busy working
    with a friend on a world record attempt have a look at the site below, and
    have not had much time for the wooden bikes lately. If you get the right cut
    of wood you will have little or no problems with warping as you state. Good
    choice of wood in this case is a tight grained quarter sawn edge grain of
    less than 45 degrees. I will see about a link to wood selection but for the
    most part a edge grain will have little or no warp.

    http://www.adventuresofgreg.com/HPVMain.html