Wooden bike race

gracer

Jul 1, 2016
I just thought I'd share about a yearly bike race that happens in the mountain ranges of Banaue Ifugao in the Philippines. Instead of the usual bike used for racing or regular cycling, participants of this said race use self-made wooded bikes. It's gradually gaining popularity in the region with tourists flocking in to witness this unusual race.

Here's a video I found on YouTube.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Kakashi
I must admit that a wooden frame bicycle might be an amusing sight to behold. If I see one person riding on one of those, a tons of question will suddenly struck me eager to be answered. From how sturdy is the wood used and how comfortable is to ride over one of these things. And the brakes, well I guess that's way out of question.

Reactions: gracer
This is some kind of a tradition traditional race. Their bikes look very tribal to me with faces and they have similar clothes. It does look interesting and it just gave me an idea to make one of these bikes for me. This is a scooter actually, I am not sure it qualifies as a bicycle but nevertheless it is very unique and it looks fun. I say scooter because they are pushing it away with legs. It is not the topic here but you can really get creative when making this.

Reactions: gracer
@Djordje87 Yes, they belong to a tribe called "Ifugao", which means "human" from a northern Philippine province. I was also amazed upon seeing the wooden bikes or scooters for the first time because they really looked unique. I must agree with your observation that they do look more like scooters than bikes. Nevertheless, I really admire how they were able to make these things all from wood. :)

Looks like fun. The bikes don't look very stable and I would be worried about doing very jerky movements, but I still wouldn't mind giving it a go.

I have seen the tv documentary of those wooden bike in Banaue (or Banawe) which is the province in the northern part of our country. The road is a long way downhill so you can imagine the speed of those wooden bikes treading the provincial zigzag roads.

But those wooden bikes are not only for racing. They are used to bring their produce to the market "downstairs" from the mountain. The wooden bikes carry firewood, vegetables, fruits and even sacks of rice which is the main product of Banawe rice terraces.

The question is this - how do they bring back the wooden bikes to their origin? One biker upon interview said that they have to walk back "upstairs" to the mountain. And that is the hardest part.

Did you see those 'tires'? What a bumpy ride that has to be, with all that lumpy bark left on. I think I would take that off for a smoother ride... unless the bark acts as treads, creating better stability. Still, the bikes look like a lot of fun, just as long as you don't have to drag them back uphill again. That reminds me of when I was a kid going sledding in the winter, the hard part was going back up the hill with that sled.

It does look fun. I've never seen that. Wooden bikes are interesting. They're functional but make use of wood instead of steel.

I have not seen this in actual but in a TV show this was featured. I was actually amazed knowing that we can actually create bicycles made from woods. They are very charismatic, nature oriented and you can feel as if you are getting close to nature. It makes me proud that even indigenous people here in our country can actually make technologies by which you can line up with at least some of comercially available bikes.

I'd like to experience riding in one of those just for fun. I know I'll still prefer my regular bike but I want to try new experiences with other bike versions.

This is some incredible stuff! Some of those designs are really impressive.

As someone who tries to live an environmentally friendly lifestyle, I definitely can't deny I'd be down to own a wooden bike. Those look to be surprisingly durable as well, as I was sure that at least one person's bike would fall apart.

They look kind of hard to balance on though, as a lot of the people were wobbling quite a bit. I think it has to do with the wheels being so thin, making it hard to balance on roads like that.

Still, very cool.

I just thought I'd share about a yearly bike race that happens in the mountain ranges of Banaue Ifugao in the Philippines. Instead of the usual bike used for racing or regular cycling, participants of this said race use self-made wooded bikes. It's gradually gaining popularity in the region with tourists flocking in to witness this unusual race.

Here's a video I found on YouTube.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've heard of those wooden bicycles, it's free wheel like a scooter and but unlike scooters it has a seat, it's really cool, going downhill with those wooden bikes, it was probably made as recreational toys ages ago. They must have seen some bicycles and one enterprising tribesman thought of making one from wood. Although they should have made pedals and breaks too. But going downhill with that would be fun.