Woods valves

Keith

Guest
From: The Pattles ([email protected]) Subject: Presta or Schraeder valves?

Date: 1999/01/23

<snip>

> For Woods valves I have a supply of hex locknuts so they can be spannered off. They have been
> salvaged from very old tubes where the valve was clamped into the tube rather than being bonded.

> Andrew Pattle (Remove "splod." for reply address.)

When I was a kid, Woods valves were the standard. Then came Prestas and finally the Schraeders (with
the advantage of being able to drop in to the local petrol station for a quick and easy re-inflate).

So, why would anyone use Woods valves today? I assumed that the references to Woods valves in repair
manuals were simply relics, retained because they were brief, well-written, and ensured the books
were complete.

Do Woods valves have any intrinsic merit or advantages?

And are they still readily available?

Keith

On 3 May 2003, Keith wrote:

> Do Woods valves have any intrinsic merit or advantages?
>
> And are they still readily available?

My Dutch commuter cycle ("700" wheels) has them. This is a right pain when I try to use so-called
"universal" twopeak cycle pumps with them. :)

If and when I next have to take the wheels off, I'll be replacing the inner tubes with something
with more conventional valves.

Aside from pump compatibility problems, I have had no trouble with them whatsoever.

--
Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

In article <[email protected]>, Daniel Auger wrote:
> On 3 May 2003, Keith wrote:
>
>> Do Woods valves have any intrinsic merit or advantages?
>>
>> And are they still readily available?
>
> My Dutch commuter cycle ("700" wheels) has them. This is a right pain when I try to use so-called
> "universal" twopeak cycle pumps with them. :)
>
> If and when I next have to take the wheels off, I'll be replacing the inner tubes with something
> with more conventional valves.
>
> Aside from pump compatibility problems, I have had no trouble with them whatsoever.

My "Dutch" Peugeot had them as well, until I changed them for prestas.

One of them leaked badly, but I was suprised to see in Halfords (of all places) replacement valves,
which worked very well.

They are not the same as the older rubber sleeve type though, but they do fit in the socket.

hth

--
| |/ _ \| '_ \ | '__/ _ \ / _` |/ _ \ '__/ __| (_) | | | |_| | | (_) | (_| | __/ | \__ \
| |@ntlworld.com
_/ |\___/|_| |_(_)_| \___/ \__, |\___|_| |___/
|__/ |___/

> Do Woods valves have any intrinsic merit or advantages?

That Wood be difficult to say.

> And are they still readily available?

No, but they Wood be avalvable.

> Do Woods valves have any intrinsic merit or advantages?

Don't know

> And are they still readily available?

Yes -- they are standard in India !!

[email protected] (Keith) writes:

> Do Woods valves have any intrinsic merit or advantages?

If you're using a pump with a flexible connector, the obvious advantage over Schrader is that you
don't let all the air out while unscrewing the connector from the valve.

If you have some kind of pup that clamps onto the valve stem, I imagine this doesn't make as much
difference.

-dan

--

http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

Keith wrote:
> From: The Pattles ([email protected]) Subject: Presta or Schraeder valves?
>
> Date: 1999/01/23

When? You've been saving this one for a while!

> When I was a kid, Woods valves were the standard. Then came Prestas and finally the Schraeders
> (with the advantage of being able to drop in to the local petrol station for a quick and easy
> re-inflate).
>
> So, why would anyone use Woods valves today?

Historical accuracy on a vintage bike?

> I assumed that the references to Woods valves in repair manuals were simply relics, retained
> because they were brief, well-written, and ensured the books were complete.
>
> Do Woods valves have any intrinsic merit or advantages?

You can replace the valve without buying a new tube... er, that seems to be the only one.

But if it's a *real* Woods valve (ie: not an Easy-Pump one), it lasts for ever with just the
replacement of the rubber every dozen-or-so years. Again, if it's a real Woods valve, it helps to
build up the muscles in your pumping arm.

My preferred valve is Presta but, given a choice of just Woods or Schraeder (eg: on "roadster" tube
sizes), I'd choose Woods. I don't like Schraeder - they let the air out again as you unscrew the
connector, and they need a different connector whereas a Presta connector will do Woods too.

> And are they still readily available?

Yes

--
Andrew Pattle