"Wooerf": Armsterdam Transportation Policy

Red Cloud

Guest
"Wooerf" in English means garden in the life refers to the
redesigning the Armsterdam
Transporation policy for Trams and Bikers. During 70's mass bikers
protest forced
the city to redesigning transporation policy from automobile to biker
and tram.
The city tried to abolish 100 years old trams system but failed and
expanded more trams and
built bike roads and biker parking. Armsterdam has a many traffic
signal for bikers.

They installed "Hump ( Bumper in English) " force the automobile
driver to slow down.
In the residental area, the speed limit drop to 30km/hr.

But the heart of the Woofer is a trams system which has many advantage
over bus:
Tram: Long distance, carry more passengers and faster than bus and
fit to travel in narrow
street.
Bus: short distance

Tram trak: allow tram, bus and taxi. Not allow for private
automobiles.

Number of trams: 285
Number of bus: 345

Overall Dutch and U.S. traffic fatality for 10,000 automobiles
Dutch: 0.19
United STate: 3.5

On Jan 7, 9:57 pm, Red Cloud <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Wooerf" in English means garden in the life refers to the
> redesigning the Armsterdam
> Transporation policy for Trams and Bikers. During 70's mass bikers
> protest forced
> the city to redesigning transporation policy from automobile to biker
> and tram.
> The city tried to abolish 100 years old trams system but failed and
> expanded more trams and
> built bike roads and biker parking. Armsterdam has a many traffic
> signal for bikers.
>
> They installed "Hump ( Bumper in English) " force the automobile
> driver to slow down.
> In the residental area, the speed limit drop to 30km/hr.
>
> But the heart of the Woofer is a trams system which has many advantage
> over bus:
> Tram: Long distance, carry more passengers and faster than bus and
> fit to travel in narrow
> street.
> Bus: short distance
>
> Tram trak: allow tram, bus and taxi. Not allow for private
> automobiles.
>
> Number of trams: 285
> Number of bus: 345
>
> Overall Dutch and U.S. traffic fatality for 10,000 automobiles
> Dutch: 0.19
> United STate: 3.5

first

Red Cloud wrote:

<snip>

> Overall Dutch and U.S. traffic fatality for 10,000 automobiles
> Dutch: 0.19
> United STate: 3.5

I suspect that the differences in fatalities in terms of miles driven
are not so great. I found that in many European and Asian countries,
private vehicles are used more for pleasure trips on weekends, while
public transit is used for commuting because of the cost of fuel,
congestion pricing, and cost of parking. In Korea, the carpool lanes on
the freeways are only restricted on weekends, because that's when
everyone's out driving around on mini-holidays.

The Troll Feeder wrote:
> On Jan 7, 9:57 pm, Red Cloud <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Wooerf" in English means garden in the life refers to the
>> redesigning the Armsterdam
>> Transporation policy for Trams and Bikers. During 70's mass bikers
>> protest forced
>> the city to redesigning transporation policy from automobile to biker
>> and tram.
>> The city tried to abolish 100 years old trams system but failed and
>> expanded more trams and
>> built bike roads and biker parking. Armsterdam has a many traffic
>> signal for bikers.
>>
>> They installed "Hump ( Bumper in English) " force the automobile
>> driver to slow down.
>> In the residental area, the speed limit drop to 30km/hr.
>>
>> But the heart of the Woofer is a trams system which has many advantage
>> over bus:
>> Tram: Long distance, carry more passengers and faster than bus and
>> fit to travel in narrow
>> street.
>> Bus: short distance
>>
>> Tram trak: allow tram, bus and taxi. Not allow for private
>> automobiles.
>>
>> Number of trams: 285
>> Number of bus: 345
>>
>> Overall Dutch and U.S. traffic fatality for 10,000 automobiles
>> Dutch: 0.19
>> United STate: 3.5

> first

This ain't no blog.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Red Cloud wrote:

> "Wooerf" in English means garden in the life refers to the
> redesigning the Armsterdam
> Transporation policy for Trams and Bikers. During 70's mass bikers
> protest forced
> the city to redesigning transporation policy from automobile to biker
> and tram.
> The city tried to abolish 100 years old trams system but failed and
> expanded more trams and
> built bike roads and biker parking. Armsterdam has a many traffic
> signal for bikers.
>
> They installed "Hump ( Bumper in English) " force the automobile
> driver to slow down.
> In the residental area, the speed limit drop to 30km/hr.
>
> But the heart of the Woofer is a trams system which has many advantage
> over bus:
> Tram: Long distance, carry more passengers and faster than bus and
> fit to travel in narrow
> street.
> Bus: short distance
>

> Tram trak: allow tram, bus and taxi. Not allow for private
> automobiles.
>
> Number of trams: 285
> Number of bus: 345
>
> Overall Dutch and U.S. traffic fatality for 10,000 automobiles
> Dutch: 0.19
> United STate: 3.5

Red Cloud must know a different "English" than the rest of us.

On Jan 8, 12:57 am, Red Cloud <[email protected]> wrote:
>  "Wooerf" in English means garden in the life refers to the
> redesigning the Armsterdam
> Transporation policy for Trams and Bikers. During 70's mass bikers
> protest forced
> the city to redesigning transporation policy from automobile to biker
> and tram.
> The city tried to abolish 100 years old trams system but failed and
> expanded more trams and
> built bike roads and biker parking. Armsterdam has a many traffic
> signal for bikers.
>
>  They installed "Hump ( Bumper in English) " force the automobile
> driver to slow down.
>  In the residental area, the speed limit drop to  30km/hr.
>
> But the heart of the Woofer is a trams system which has many advantage
> over bus:
>  Tram: Long distance,  carry more passengers and faster than bus and
> fit to travel in narrow
>            street.
>   Bus:  short distance
>
> Tram trak: allow tram,  bus and taxi. Not allow for private
> automobiles.
>
> Number of trams: 285
> Number of bus: 345
>
> Overall Dutch and U.S. traffic fatality for 10,000 automobiles
>    Dutch:  0.19
>    United STate:  3.5

The Pilgrims left Holland because they didn't like bicycles, so it is
that Americans today think lowly of them.

Red Cloud wrote:

> "Wooerf" in English means garden in the life

The word is "woonerf". (Almost) literally that would be "living yard". It
is a residential area with limited access to traffic. Acoording to Dutch
road law, motor vehicles may not go faster than walking pace in such
areas.