Woohoo! I'm a good cyclist

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
Was riding down to the gym today and noticed a cop car behind me and I realised it had been following me for a little bit. Stopped at some lights that were red and the police car pulled up next to me and I was greeted by 2 of the more attractive police officers I have seen (yes, female).

Anyway I was given a sticker and put into the draw for $1000 worth of cycling accessories for being a good cyclist and demonstrating "safe" cycling.

They also said I was sure to win!! :) Although I think they might say that to everyone :)

Apparently a Bicycle Victoria/Victoria Police initiative.

MikeyOz said:
Was riding down to the gym today and noticed a cop car behind me and I realised it had been following me for a little bit. Stopped at some lights that were red and the police car pulled up next to me and I was greeted by 2 of the more attractive police officers I have seen (yes, female).

Makes a change, about five years ago I got chatted up by a bored copper in Albert St, Brunswick. I passed on the chatting up offer & instead received a free sticker and chance in a similar free bike draw.

More here: http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/254/9/

The Safe Cycle thing whatever-the-name-is has been going for about 20 years, part of the Community Safety Month: http://www.communitysafetymonth.com.au/

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Was riding down to the gym today and noticed a cop car behind me and I
> realised it had been following me for a little bit. Stopped at some
> lights that were red and the police car pulled up next to me and I was
> greeted by 2 of the more attractive police officers I have seen (yes,
> female).
>
> Anyway I was given a sticker and put into the draw for $1000 worth of
> cycling accessories for being a good cyclist and demonstrating "safe"
> cycling.

Where's a copper when you need one - I stop at all red lights and not a
single sticker!!!!

Gags said:
Where's a copper when you need one - I stop at all red lights and not a
single sticker!!!!

I know I almost fell off my bike when they told me, I thought they were going to pull me over for riding a red bike or something! Becuase I knew I had not done anything wrong. Its only taken like 10 years of riding for it to happen.

MikeyOz wrote:

> Apparently a Bicycle Victoria/Victoria Police initiative.

Ah, I was going to say, they were CLEARLY not Beecroft (NSW) cops.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>

On 2007-10-16, Gags (aka Bruce)
> "MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Was riding down to the gym today and noticed a cop car behind me and I
>> realised it had been following me for a little bit. Stopped at some
>> lights that were red and the police car pulled up next to me and I was
>> greeted by 2 of the more attractive police officers I have seen (yes,
>> female).
>>
>> Anyway I was given a sticker and put into the draw for $1000 worth of
>> cycling accessories for being a good cyclist and demonstrating "safe"
>> cycling.

> Where's a copper when you need one - I stop at all red lights and not a
> single sticker!!!!

I've got no lights to stop at![1]

Still, I could probably convince the local copper (also a cyclist) to
share his stash, next time we meet in the pub.

[1] No lights for 157km. However, my building has half of all of the
lifts in NSW to the west of the Blue Mountains.

--
TimC
hey Beavis, we're segfaulting, heh heh heh, I know, Butthead, so let's

MikeyOz wrote:
> Was riding down to the gym today and noticed a cop car behind me and I
> realised it had been following me for a little bit. Stopped at some
> lights that were red and the police car pulled up next to me and I was
> greeted by 2 of the more attractive police officers I have seen (yes,
> female).
>
> Anyway I was given a sticker and put into the draw for $1000 worth of
> cycling accessories for being a good cyclist and demonstrating "safe"
> cycling.
>
> They also said I was sure to win!! :) Although I think they might say
> that to everyone :)
>
> Apparently a Bicycle Victoria/Victoria Police initiative.

Aha... They're still doing that are they. When I was in Melbourne they
did the same thing to me about 10 years ago. They said my name was in a
raffle for a new bike and I never even heard if it had been drawn. Being
cynical, I actually got the impression it was done as a way of collating
some informal registration of cyclists rather than a 'you're doing the
right thing' campaign. I recall the cop that pulled me over parked
within the no parking zone of a school crossing (at about 8:30 am on a
school day) in order to flag me down to say how good I was. He could
well have caused an accident.

Am I just jaded or is this for real??? Dutch?

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying