Wool or synthetic socks for tour?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by me63401, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. me63401

me63401 Guest

Im gearing up for some credit card touring next summer. Have never toured before at all...and have
    always wanted to do it..... so I am. lol

Having said that..... I like mini crew socks..... shorties.

But Im curious what most people are using for touring socks. Do you like wool blend socks? Or pure
    synthetics? And why?

If you like pure synthetics..... What synthetic do you like and why? Do you like acrylic? Or
    capilene? What?

I wanna order some socks and am sorta confused on what to get.

John

Tags:

2. On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:22:24 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>But Im curious what most people are using for touring socks. Do you like wool blend socks? Or pure
    >synthetics?

Anything but cotton works for me.

Barry.

3. Sbirn

Sbirn Guest

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:22:24 -0600, <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I wanna order some socks and am sorta confused on what to get.

All new socks I'm buying are Smartwool. They're the only socks I've ever owned that feel WARMER when
    wet. I don't mean damp...I mean just-walked- through-knee-deep-water wet.

4. Gary Smiley

Gary Smiley Guest

On a tour you bring very few clothes and you must get into the daily habit of washing/wringing out
    your clothes and having them dry overnight. If wool dries overnight, then you'll be ok. I like poly
    or coolmax socks because I know they'll be dry in the morning. If you tour in in the summer, you'll
    be coolest in SPD sandals and poly socks. Just my opinion, though.

[email protected] wrote:

> Im gearing up for some credit card touring next summer. Have never toured before at all...and have
    > always wanted to do it..... so I am. lol
    >
    > Having said that..... I like mini crew socks..... shorties.
    >
    > But Im curious what most people are using for touring socks. Do you like wool blend socks? Or pure
    > synthetics? And why?
    >
    > If you like pure synthetics..... What synthetic do you like and why? Do you like acrylic? Or
    > capilene? What?
    >
    > I wanna order some socks and am sorta confused on what to get.
    >
    > John

5. >But Im curious what most people are using for touring socks. Do you like wool blend socks? Or pure
    >synthetics? And why?

I just use tennis shoes and cotton socks in toe clips. Simple.

While I don't do the following, I've heard one can save weight while touring by bringing just three
    socks... wear two, and each day rotate a different one to soak in your water bottle :)

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

6. me63401

me63401 Guest

>All new socks I'm buying are Smartwool. They're the only socks I've ever owned that feel WARMER
    >when wet. I don't mean damp...I mean just-walked- through-knee-deep-water wet.

Well I have a few pair of them.

But was waiting to see abt the synthetics... if better

What "model" Smartwool socks do you have?

John

7. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >All new socks I'm buying are Smartwool. They're the only socks I've ever owned that feel WARMER
    > >when wet. I don't mean damp...I mean just-walked- through-knee-deep-water wet.
    >
    > Well I have a few pair of them.
    >
    > But was waiting to see abt the synthetics... if better
    >
    > What "model" Smartwool socks do you have?

I have the low-rise trail runners -- several pairs of them, which I love for year-round riding. If
    I'm doing a long ride (50+ miles) these are always be my first socks of choice.

On a tour, though, if I were constantly washing socks in a sink and wringing them out to dry --
    well, these socks do not dry quickly. A pair of standard synthetic bike socks would dry in probably
    an hour or two.

--
    Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

8. I use ordinary dark everyday socks unless it's autumn or spring in which case I use hillwalking
    socks which are warmer.

9. me63401

me63401 Guest

>While I don't do the following, I've heard one can save weight while touring by bringing just three
    >socks... wear two, and each day rotate a different one to soak in your water bottle :)

Is this really true?

Just carry three socks?

Why not 4?

John

10. Velojim

Velojim Guest

i second the motion for SmartWool - PErformance just has them on sale....

"sbirn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:22:24 -0600, <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I wanna order some socks and am sorta confused on what to get.
    >
    > All new socks I'm buying are Smartwool. They're the only socks I've ever owned that feel WARMER
    > when wet. I don't mean damp...I mean just-walked- through-knee-deep-water wet.

11. [email protected] wrote:

>>While I don't do the following, I've heard one can save weight while touring by bringing just
    >>three socks... wear two, and each day rotate a different one to soak in your water bottle :)
    >>
    >>
    >
    >Is this really true?
    >
    >Just carry three socks?
    >
    >Why not 4?
    >
    >
    Too much extra weight for something that you don't need.

--
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it
    is common.

12. Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole Guest

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Im gearing up for some credit card touring next summer. Have never toured before at all...and have
    > always wanted to do it..... so I am. lol
    >
    > Having said that..... I like mini crew socks..... shorties.
    >
    > But Im curious what most people are using for touring socks. Do you like wool blend socks? Or pure
    > synthetics? And why?
    >
    > If you like pure synthetics..... What synthetic do you like and why? Do you like acrylic? Or
    > capilene? What?
    >
    > I wanna order some socks and am sorta confused on what to get.

I find wool to be the most comfortable for long days of riding, hiking, or whatever. I always came
    back to wool after trying other stuff. The biggest problem is having dry socks every day. If you're
    camping, pure wool might not dry completely overnight, but if you're staying in hotels (credit card
    touring) it'll be fine. If drying is a problem, a wool/synthetic blend is a good compromise.

Matt O.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.