Words fail me..

> Simon, has been caught speeding twice in twenty five years driving.

Ah, that's how many times you've been caught, but how many times have you done it? I venture to
suggest that for every time someone is caught speeding there have been many more times when
they've done it.

Rich

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:20:13 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Trevor Barton <[email protected]>typed
>> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:47:21 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
>> > MSeries wrote: you find yourself standing in the loo wondering what you went in there for,
>
>> LOL. If you're actually *in* the loo, you've something to worry about, because most of us stand
>> in *front* of it!
>
> Actually, most of us sit *on* loos :) and us gals are the majority...

I'm sorry, that was of course an unwarrantedand and unmitigated gender specific stereotype, and you
were quite right to rebuke me :)

And of course you are right, and if you consider that most of us blokes sit for at least part of the
time, too, then there's far more sitting than standing. Having said that, I have discovered that
there is a hard core (if that's the right word to use in this context) of women who refuse to sit
and claim their right to stand. I once stumbled accross a website that gave me more information than
I ever wanted to know about it!

--
Trevor Barton

Originally posted by Tony Raven
I would rather have regular reminder signs of the speed limit. They have them some places but not
others. In the old days it was easy to remember because it was either 30 or unlimited so you just
needed to remember you were in a speed limit. These days you have to remember what speed limit you
are in and repeaters would help

Umm, this is quite a lot wrong. It has been the case for quite a lot of years that the national speed limit of 60 applied to all roads except dual carriageways and m-ways which are 70 and roads with streetlamps less that x yards apart (basically anywhere with street lamps). Whereever there is a variance there are regular repeater roundels to remind you. If these aree not present then the varied limit simply doesn't apply. This isn't hard to keep track of.

best wishes
james

pig pog wrote:

> Umm, this is quite a lot wrong. It has been the case for quite a lot of years that the national
> speed limit of 60 applied to all roads except dual carriageways and m-ways which are 70 and roads
> with streetlamps less that x yards apart (basically anywhere with street lamps). Whereever there
> is a variance there are regular repeater roundels to remind you. If these aree not present then
> the varied limit simply doesn't apply. This isn't hard to keep track of.

I'm quite familiar with the regulations but the repeater roundels are not always there - I can think
of several stretches of road where they are not. Now one could take the view of no roundels no speed
limit but I prefer to stick with the intention and not, as was complained of earlier, ignore the
speed limit on a technicality.

Tony

Trevor Barton wrote:
> ... there is a hard core (if that's the right word to use in this context) of women who refuse to
> sit and claim their right to stand. I once stumbled accross a website that gave me more
> information than I ever wanted to know about it!

http://www.restrooms.org/standing.html , by any chance?

Thomas Paine

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Trevor Barton wrote:
>> ... there is a hard core (if that's the right word to use in this context) of women who refuse to
>> sit and claim their right to stand. I once stumbled accross a website that gave me more
>> information than I ever wanted to know about it!
>
> http://www.restrooms.org/standing.html , by any chance?

<Shudder> Rings a bell.

Trev

> Nathaniel Porter wrote:
> >
> > I agree - regardless of if you're speeding or not, if you don't/can't react to a speed camera
> > (and it's not like the camera and calibration lines aren't rather visible) by slowing down to
> > the limit gradually and in good time then you were going to fast.
>
> Still depends on knowing what the speed limit is at that point
>
> Tony

There is that I suppose, I did 50 through a road that was 50, but at some point in the last 24 hrs
has been reduced to 40. The old 50 signs had been heavily obscured by trees, so when I couldn't see
them at night I thought nothing of it. No repeaters either.

It's getting to the point where speed limit setting and signing is little more than a joke.

(The road in question is the A452 between the A46 junction and the roundabout at Chesford Bridge. 50
was IMHO a good limit for this stretch of road, although you'd slow down for the crossroads and
bridge. 40 isn't massively too low, and also the stretch lowered is rather short - but it does seem
unnecessary IMHO)

"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| There is that I suppose, I did 50 through a road that was 50, but at some point in the last 24 hrs
| has been reduced to 40. The old 50 signs had been heavily obscured by trees, so when I couldn't
| see them at night I thought nothing of it. No repeaters either.

Crikey - what sort of bike are you riding?

Budgie

---

"Budgie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> |
> | There is that I suppose, I did 50 through a road that was 50, but at
some
> | point in the last 24 hrs has been reduced to 40. The old 50 signs had
been
> | heavily obscured by trees, so when I couldn't see them at night I
thought
> | nothing of it. No repeaters either.
> |
> Crikey - what sort of bike are you riding?

One with four wheels and an internal combustion engine ;-)

Anyway, if I were riding a bike, why would I be concerned about breaking the speed limit?

"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| Anyway, if I were riding a bike, why would I be concerned about breaking
the
| speed limit?

Still applies - doesn't it??

Budgie

---

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:20:19 +0100, Budgie <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> |
> | Anyway, if I were riding a bike, why would I be concerned about breaking
> the
> | speed limit?
> |

> Still applies - doesn't it??

Not technically, but breaking the limit that applies to motor vehicles could possibly be cited as
evidence that you were riding dangerously, without due care or whatever.

I wondered if you can be done for pedalling furiously if you actually spin out at (say) 35mph, so
can be certain that at 45 you were, in fact, freewheeling.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Budgie wrote:
> "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Anyway, if I were riding a bike, why would I be concerned about breaking the speed limit?
>>

> Still applies - doesn't it??

No. The law which relates to speed limits is very specifically for motor vehicles only.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain